Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike test in 4 weeks

• 20-03-2006 4:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭

should I be brickin!!!

I drive a majesty 125 so im gonna rent a 150 cc to do my test on to get my A license. is the test hard? do you get the usual grilling on the road signs etc like the car test or is that gone now as youve to do a theory test?

if you have any pointers pass them on. thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

There are some good test tips and descriptions on this document. If you learn all of the questions and answers from this sheet and learn the signs at the back of the rules of the road (especially the unusual ones!!), you should pass the theory part easily enough. They'll only ask you 4 or 5 questions. Wouldn't hurt to read through 'rules of the road' once or twice too.

For the practical test, I'd advice getting a lesson or two before hand because there are a few niggly things that you wouldn't think of! I had a lesson with 'Joe Walsh' in ISM, Fitzgibbon Street. He's very sound and knows his stuff! You can ask for a particular instructor when booking with them. I'd advice this because they have a few muppets too!

Good luck!
    Brian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

darkbeatz wrote:
    should I be brickin!!!
    No, it's only a driving test. Worrying about hat is in reality a minor thing in your life will make you needlessly nervous. Best of luck in it of course-mine should be coming up soon enough too actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

They may ask you how to check oil level, how to tighten the chain and the location of the battery.

When you are requested to do the U-turn remember to look over your shoulder before leaving the kerb and again before making the turn.

I was told to keep speed at approx 35 mph (pre metric days) but I ended up failing for excessive speed in the first test. I suppose it depends on the tester.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Get some lessons and they will tell you everything you need to know - Joe and Steven in ISM are excellent!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

tk123 wrote:
    Get some lessons and they will tell you everything you need to know - Joe and Steven in ISM are excellent!

I agree with the lessons. The IRTA are good too. If you got lessons before go with whoever that was provided you felt comfortable with them.

Also, though it may be uncool annoying etc etc, for the next four weeks drive like you are supposed to for your test. REALLY. ALL the time. Stop for lights. Look around you at every turn, roundabout, yield sign. Lifesaver when changing lane and lane position. Stop for stop signs. STICK to the speed limits so you are used to what the bike feels like at these speeds. You get the idea. You have enough time in 4 weeks to make this come naturally to you on the day of the test.

When it comes naturally to you at the test, then you can spend the extra effort on keeping yourself calm and confident. Confidence and the ability to demonstrate confidence under any circumstance will pass you the test.

Also, if you can find an empty car park, set out the two markers and do the figure 8's around them to practice the slow control used for the turnabout.

Re the theory part, that doc I posted is what I got for my car test in 2000 so it probably has been updated a tad since then. However, it gives a good impression of the sort of questions that they ask. They are like the Theory test questions but phrased differently and maybe slightly more difficult (since there is no a/b/c answers).

Oh and practice, practice, practice...

L

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭darkbeatz

guys just wanted to say thanks for all your help I passed my test yesterday :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Hey congrads man.

Really must get off my ass and apply for mine.

the only thing I found hard in the lead up to the test is doing the shoulder checks all the time as I have many bad habits. before you do it make sure and do a pretest -> www.bikesafe.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Dragstar

darkbeatz wrote:
    guys just wanted to say thanks for all your help I passed my test yesterday :-)

Congrats - great feeling isn't it!

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Nice0ne

Well done, where'd you do your test and how long was your wait? I'm booked into Churchtown for mine but have been advised that bike tests have the same waiting period as cars for this area.

• Advertisement

it certainly is a great feeling :-)

I had my test in churchtown and waited 14 months. My route was churchtown-milltown-rathgar-rathmines-milltown and back. It felt like I was out for ages. he gave me a very thourough test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

You're renting a bike for the test, right? Get it for as long as you can before the test and do lots of riding on it. If you ride a scooter every day, and then try to get used to a) clutch and gears and b) pedal brakes on the right hand side in 5 minutes before your test you might as well do it on your scoot. Get the bike for a couple of days before hand.

Gears add another step or two to even the simplest maneouvres, and you want to be used to moving up and down gears smoothely for the test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭Horatio

Hey, well done,
    Have to say when I did my test it was apsolutely lashing down so the best part of the test for me was watching the tester having to do the walkalong at slow speed holding his coat over his head attempting to stay dry, I did'nt care I was already soaked through but it was satasfying !

I did my test in naas and by the sounds of your stories it must be one of the easier centres. I just had to ride though lots of housing estates but that means cars parked everywhere, kids running out onto the road, sharp corner 20 yards from u turn spot (very hard to see if a car is coming).

Advertisement