Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Replacing back axle

Options
  • 20-03-2006 4:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭

My car was hit by another car when it was parked on the back wheel and the back axle was damaged along with the right rear suspension components. There was no body panel damage at all.

I'm thinking of getting a Haynes repair manual and buying the parts from scrap yard for cheap and repairing it myself. It's a 96 bmw 316i auto coupe and too nice to let go. I've got another car for the time and lots of empty weekends and space to do this.

Is it totally crazy to try fixing it myself? I know exactly which parts need to be replaced from the garage that assessed it and I've got all the tools.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

It's an insurance job, or at the very least, the perpetrator should be paying out for it. Why would you even consider doing it yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

I got the money and I got another car with it. That's not what I asked though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Seems like a fine idea if you have the time and the space. Just ensure you support it properly and have good axle stands and good trolley jacks as you will be dropping down quite a rage and heavy subframe/rear axle/suspension !

Is it technically very difficult? Or is it straightforward enough with the manual?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Not technically very difficult but extremely akward without a lift, I wouldn't fancy doing it on axel stands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

This isn't the the sort of job you want to do with just a Haynes manual to guide you :) Haynes manuals are total crap for anything remotely difficult. I would be wary of attempting this job unless I had a lot of experience working with cars and had access to a lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Yeah - I'd do it - on axle stands. It might not be the prettiest way or the ideal situation but you'll learn a lot. Haynes manual will suffice if you technically/mechanically minded. Will be difficult enough with having to disconnect/remove hydraulic brake lines, handbrake cables, brake pressure regulator, suspension links, anit-roll bar(if fitted). While you're at it you should replace any bushings, bearings, seals, wear & tear items. You may have to swap a lot of components from one axle (trailing arm) to the other.

On a slightly different note
    I got the money and I got another car with it. That's not what I asked though.
    I may have it all wrong here (no offence intended, honestly), but did your insurance company write-off your damaged car and leave you salvage or is it a completely different set of circumstances? If it has been written off it simply means it is uneconomical to repair BUT it could be possible that the chassis is slightly bent - you will need to have this straightened first or you could well end up with handling and/or tyre wear problems.

You don't mention make, year & model - some cars can be harder to work on than others.

No it wasn't written off by anyone and it says in the 1st post that it's a 96 316i auto coupe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Ok so it's RWD - that increases the difficulty factor slightly. Still if you think you're able for it then go for it. That axle will be heavy so make sure you use trolley jacks or similar to take the weight of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

that car doesn't have a back axle as such, it's independant rear suspension, ie diff bolted to the floor of the car and the hubs are on some wishbone/trailing arm system with driveshafts connecting them back to the differential.

not sure entirely the setup of the e36 beemers but i helped a friend swap out the back end of an e30 and it was easily done, easier than a tradional live axle as its in multiple smaller parts.

the bit that makes this more difficult is that of determining which part is bent, mightn't be any harm to get a mechanic to throw it up on a lift and cast an experienced eye over it to do the diagnostic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement