Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mongrel Dog

Options
  • 20-03-2006 5:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a puppy that is 3 months old, we got her from the pound and don't know what she is a mix of but her face is that of a terrier and her colouring matches that of a rottweiler or doberman.
    We were told when we got her she would only grow to the size she is now, but that seems to be out the window at this stage.

She was a normal nippy puppy but has calmed down a lot now.

However, she still attacks things in the garden and will go for any dog she sees lock stock and barrell.

I'm just wondering of its likely she might turn out like a rottweiler or doberman, because there is a relatively young child in the house.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Being a rottweiler or dobermann will not make her attack your child. How you bring her up will determine how she behaves around the child.
    In general, dangerous animals are made not born.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

If you have concerns contact a good dog trainer to give you some tips, but as said if the dog turns out to have rottie or dobie in them doesn't mean it's going to be an aggressive dog. It's hard to determine what size a mix breed will grow to, some are more obvious than others mistakes are easily made.
    Your pup is still very very young and it would be good idea to get a trainer in now for some tips while the pup is young. Pups tend to nip anyway especially when they start teething, so you'll probably have a lot more standard puppy issues to deal with before the pups an adult.
    If the pup is fully vaxed it would be a good idea to let her play with other dogs her own age and a bit older.
    Small breed dogs can be just as much of a handlful, nippy and aggressive and possesive so it's up to the owner to train their dogs and give them the guidance they need.
    It should be easy enough at that age here's a list of dog trainers
    http://www.irishanimals.ie/care/behaviour.html

A few tips and your pup should become a pleasure to have around rather than a little monkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I would second the getting advice from trainer bit, also the education via other dogs.

Also ...she's only 3 months old, barely out of her nappies so to speak.
    Now is a very good time to just lay down some ground rules. Put together a set of rules that you would like her to obey once she's grown (for example: no attacking, no biting, no chasing, no jumping up on people, etc) Make those rules clear to everybody who has influence on your dog (family, visitors) and make everybody stick to them.

Then, everytime your puppie transgresses, or attempts to transgress, make your disapproval known. No need for drastic measures. A destinct "NO!", a turning away, or a sharp "AhAh" from a distance will be more than enough to convey the message. Be consistent and your doggy will pick up in a flash what its allowed to do and what not.

Indulging "delightful" puppy behaviour is the most common mistake when raising a dog. What is "delightful" in a *lickle* bundle of joy mostly isn't delightful when the bundle isn't little any more.

That applies to all possible sizes breeds and mixes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Dog Training Ireland have obedience classes and puppy classes starting next week, i think they're based near the airport.

http://www.dogtrainingireland.ie/home.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Lorri_L

Thanks a million guys

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

One thing if she has some of a controlled breed in her you'll have to keep her muzzled in the park.
    I read a fantastic study about 'dangerous dog breeds' it isn't the breed of dog it is that people who want a dangerous dog want certain breeds.

I will dig it out.

MM

Advertisement