Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What LCD Monitor for €400?

Options
  • 20-03-2006 5:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

I need some advice on what LCD monitor to get for about €400. I have it narrowed down to 3 but I'm really not too sure.

Samsung 19" LCD Syncmaster 940BF TCO-99 Monitor, DVI-D, D-sub, 2ms
    Samsung

ViewSonic VX924 19" BLK/SIL DVI 3MS
    ViewSonic

BenQ 19" LCD FP93GX Monitor, DVI, 2ms, Black/Silver
    BenQ

It must be good for gaming and movie playback as well as looking good for everyday office work. A good all rounder in otherwords.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Feargal

Hi im currently using a samsung 710n 17", think its the smaller version of the samsung you mentioned. Im currently using it for art and games, and im impressed with its sharp screen, also it has a good responce time of 8-12ms which is good for games.
    Couldnt find the responce time for the samsung 19".. if its 12 or less then thats good for games.
    However the Benq 19" looks the best to me, with a 2ms responce time! good contrast and brightness specs

just noticed you posted the samsung responce time! 2ms sounds very good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

Well if you're quick you'll go to Dell's website *immediately*, and nab yourself a

2005FPW flat panel widescreen 20 inch.

Today you get can one new for.... 473 euros. (a 35% discount.....) that expires today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

turbot wrote:
    Well if you're quick you'll go to Dell's website *immediately*, and nab yourself a

2005FPW flat panel widescreen 20 inch.

Today you get can one new for.... 473 euros. (a 35% discount.....) that expires today.

€73 over budget unfortunately. The specs aren't as good as the examples I've shown either. 20" widescreen would be excellent but I can't justify it and I've already stretched from €300 to €400. Thanks anyway!

Just noticed that the BenQ response time is GTG, which means its 2ms at its peak. I wonder are the others the same and they just don't mention it? What are Viewsonic like?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

i've just bought an acer 1916w. i like it alot....

• Advertisement

Yep just checked another site, they seem to give a max peak of 2ms-3ms for those 19" monitors, but thats very fast, think mine peaks at 8ms.

The viewsonic has a max res of 1280 x 1024@85hz which is very Good.
    The BenQ and Samsung are 1280 x 1024@75hz, but 75hz is still pretty good.

Guess the only other thing might be the viewing angle, All 3 seem to be very close on specs, think whichever one you choose will be a great monitor

Didn't spot that 85Hz for the viewsonic....that might just sell it for me. As you said not much in them really.

Tom's hardware gives the Viewsonic bad reviews regarding the response time. Basically its not accurate to use GTG (gray to gray) and impossible to compare 2 different monitors because they can be calculated in numerous different ways. Using their own measurement techniques it gives a bad respose time.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/06/02/viewsonic_vx924/

I'm now considering this:

Philips

It's 8ms but again is it GTG or how do they messure it?

This is proving a very difficult task. Shops in Dublin have carp selections it would be so much easier to see them and test them out :(

Has anyone any comments on the Philips monitor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭far2gud

I have the 930bf and it is a great monitor- 4ms and perfect for gaming and for watching dvds. So I would recommend either the samsung or the viewsonic. Don't right of the viewsonic over one hardware review- I have heard nothing but praise about these monitors and would of bought one but komplett were sold out over christmas.

Ok back to my gut instinct, Samsung 940BF it is :) Thanks for the advice and reassurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Just got the Viewsonic VX 922 and its amazing.The colours and detail are 1st class and with its 2ms responce theres no ghosting on games like Fear and Quake 4.Was just over 400 from Savastore if thats any help.

Aaron

Advertisement