Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toilet Flushing Problem

Options
  • 20-03-2006 5:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭

I am having a problem with a toilet that wont flush properly the house is a year old bungalow, there is another toilet in an en-suite that works fine, however the one in the main bathroom takes about 5/6 flushes sometimes more to clear toilet paper, urine will flush fine I have tried one of them drain/bomb plunger devices that seems to work ok but only after a couple of attempts. There does not seem to be enough power to flush out the contents of the bowl. I have been told it maybe a problem with the venting, what is this and how is it done. There is a wavin pipe outside the bathroom window that goes up towards the roof from a hole in the ground, is this the vent pipe, and what do I need to check if I remove it to have a look.
    There is sometimes a strong smell in the bathroom area:confused: but not often.
    The system is on a water/sewage treatment biofilter system but it’s less then a year old and as I said the ensuite toilet works ok so I don’t think it’s a blockage in the piping
    Should I get in a plumber or is it something I could sort out myself. Would a plumber deal with a sewage treatment system if the problem lies with it.

Any help appreciated.:(

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Does the water coming from the cistern come out with similar force to the one that works properly?

Maybe it's that syphon device in the cistern acting up? Or the diaphragm?

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/cold_water%20tanks%20etc..htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

The pipe from the W.C. may not be level or have slight fall towards the soil pipe causing what can be a small blockage that causes the pipe to syphon.

The fact that you have smells in the bathroom suggests that the water seal in the bottom of the bowl is below the level in the "U" bend which is meant to prevent odours from coming back into the room.

Does the toilet gurgle and the water level drop very low then rise back again after flushing ? if it does that suggests a small blockage, try throwing a few buckets of water down the toilet to clear the pipe.

If that works then you may have a slight rise in the soil pipe which is enough to cause waste to lodge in the pipe but not enough to cause a full blockage.

Another possibility is the cistern is not filling up enough to flush properly and the soil stack (vent pipe) is not high enough and the odours are coming back into the bathroom through a window or is in line with a roof light (velux etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

We used to have this problem, but found a very simple solution, try flushing it with toilet seat down... worked for us

Advertisement