Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

router firewall

• 20-03-2006 5:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭

hi,if you disable the firewall on a router does that mean that all ports are opened?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

No.

However, the question I believe you want to ask is "Can traffic from the Internet get at your internal network if the firewall is disabled?". The answer to this is typically "No".

Assuming that you've got a typical home setup, traffic originating from the Internet stops at your router and doesn't get any further unless you've set it up to forward traffic arriving on specific ports to other machines on your internal network. Traffic from the Internet that is a response to a request originating from a machine on your internal network will be routed back to the originating device.

Regards,

Liam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭persian

well how do i open all ports on the router?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

If you really want to allow all incoming traffic to one port then just create a port forwarding for ports 0 - 65535 for both UDP and TCP traffic to the relevant IP address.

Another option (if your firewall supports it) is to use a DMZ. This feature will allow you to completely open one port (or ip address) on your router to the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

As a matter of interest why do you want to disabling all firewalling to that machine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

persian wrote:
    well how do i open all ports on the router?

what type of router is it?
    Why do you want to do it?
    What are you wearing?

etc etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭persian

its on eircom's router,preferably i'd like all ports opened but dont know how to do this,how to i get to the port opening page on eircoms wifi router,i think its ports 6000-6999 or 10070-10080,not sure,how would i open these

Advertisement