Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Robbie Savage

• 20-03-2006 8:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

Just looking for opinions on him. Do people here subscribe to the theory that he is a dirty scumbag with limited skill, or that he is a fully committed player with long blonde hair who winds up the opposition.

Personally i think he is great. I totally go for him being a fully committed player, who admittedly, goes overbaod in his attempts to rile those around him. I can never remember him doining any Gerrard/Essienesque challenges, spitting at opposition etc, but I do remember good tackling and getting his fellow team mates focused.

The one drawback I see is his gamesmanship, in so far as he demands a ref book players etc (personally I think a player doing this should be booked himself), and over celebrates at times.

The reason I ask, is because so many people are surprised that the red he recieved the other day was his first ever in the Premiership, and his only other was for Wales Vs North Ireland, which was harsh enough as well.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

gimmick wrote:
    Just looking for opinions on him. Do people here subscribe to the theory that he is a dirty scumbag with limited skill, or that he is a fully committed player with long blonde hair who winds up the opposition.

Personally i think he is great. I totally go for him being a fully committed player, who admittedly, goes overbaod in his attempts to rile those around him. I can never remember him doining any Gerrard/Essienesque challenges, spitting at opposition etc, but I do remember good tackling and getting his fellow team mates focused.

The one drawback I see is his gamesmanship, in so far as he demands a ref book players etc (personally I think a player doing this should be booked himself), and over celebrates at times.

The reason I ask, is because so many people are surprised that the red he recieved the other day was his first ever in the Premiership, and his only other was for Wales Vs North Ireland, which was harsh enough as well.

Been a number of thread likes this on Savage and Bellamy, he is a great player. Just to show this look at where Birmingham are now and where Blackburn are. Roles have reversed since Savage left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Alot of people don't like him. Personally, I think he's a great player and much better than the waste of space Barry Ferguson that he replaced.

He shouldn't of been sent off on Saturday. PHB said on another thread that they said on Goals on Sunday that he deserved to go but any paper or online report that I've read said it was very harsh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Personally I think he is a decent player, but not top class!

As for his sending off, the first yellow was a definite, as for the second had the pass that he handled been closer I think he would have gotten away with it but it travelled a bit to far! As it is 2 yellows he can not appeal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

i just dont like the guy he is whingey and annonying, but thats just me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Tbh I like him , he may be a whingey git but he is damn good player. You also have to look to how bad Wales play without.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I don't think he's quite as 'dirty' a player as he's sometimes made out to be. He's just a bit of a whinger, you can see why a lot of people don't like him.

I don't think he's quite as 'dirty' a player as he's sometimes made out to be. He's just a bit of a whinger, you can see why a lot of people don't like him.

I agree. He's the sort of player that only his own team's fans can love. I can see why other supporters don't like him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

A very useful player. Usually gets a few goals a year, although I think he is actually yet to get off the mark for Blackburn. He is good at set pieces too.

A lot of energy, and what I've seen as referred to as "gamesmanship". He is prone to a dive or injury feign every now and again though. Still though I think it is funny seeing him being able to wind people up so easily. A player who's reputation more than preceeds him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Lemlin wrote:
    Alot of people don't like him. Personally, I think he's a great player and much better than the waste of space Barry Ferguson that he replaced.

Have to agree, he's a very hard working player, he winds up the opposition something cronic, but so what?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

hard working, but so were the entire sunderland team.
    i dont think he is anything special, but makes up for it with his antics.

hes already been found out, and im delighted he got the second yellow.
    both cards were deserved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

average player, usefull. skanger. deserves the 1% of cards he doesnt deserve because of the 99% of times where he acts like an idiot/wind up merchant and earns his lack of benifit of the doubt.

a player can be commited, tackle hard and be likable. roy keane, patrick viera, genarro gattusso.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Ya, but the the above have been known for the odd 'career ending' challenges, at least a certain Mayfield man. He certainly isnt likeable, nor is Viera, and I dont know enough about Gattuso, but that beard is reason enough for me ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

hes a great player, he was very unlucky to get a red card, the first tackle was legitimate, he got the ball first, no doubt, and there wasnt really a follow through or anything for him to have caught the middlesboro player. Can find himself very hard done by to get a yellow for it. The handball, his hands were by his body, definately wasnt a deliberate handball, but if he was gonna get a card for that, then that should have been his first yellow, because for me, the first yellow, definately wasnt a yellow.

I thought he was a great player before he came to blackburn, when i heard he was coming to blackburn at first, i thought it was brilliant! i knew he was just the kind of player we needed and sparky after managing him at wales knew he'd be great too, was delighted! think hes a great work horse, brilliant at working up the opposition and the fans without crossing any lines and a good footballer too.

I like players like him, Gattuso is another good player like him, hard worker, gets in peoples faces, good tackler. :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

I like players like him, Gattuso is another good player like him, hard worker, gets in peoples faces, good tackler

i cant emphasise how many leagues appart viera/keane/gattusso are ahead of savage on his best day. i was just comparing styles :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think every single foul he makes is deliberate. I never think he loses control. Because of this, he isn't like Keane or Vieira, who foul because of incredible passion, he fouls because its how he plays his game.
    Some parts of his game have incredible technique, other he compensates for by fouling. That's why he couldn't make it at United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

PHB wrote:
    I think every single foul he makes is deliberate. I never think he loses control. Because of this, he isn't like Keane or Vieira, who foul because of incredible passion, he fouls because its how he plays his game.
    Some parts of his game have incredible technique, other he compensates for by fouling. That's why he couldn't make it at United.
    What a load of garbage. While I don't think that he never fouls intentionally, to suggest that Keane or Vieira never did either is complete and utter nonsense.

He didn't make it at United as a kid because that's the way things go for a lot of young players. One things for sure though, he would walk into that team now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

PHB wrote:
    Lol, you're never short of getting a dig in are you?

Lot's of the youth squad did'nt make it at Manu around his time, and yet he did.

He did a lot better than the likes of Dion Dublin. What about Lee Sharpe (yea chuck all the stats you want) but he's still there.

As for your "foul because of incredible passion", I actually have no idea what you are trying to say. Are you saying that a "foul because of incredible passion" is a lesser foul because of the passion????

What a load of garbage. While I don't think that he never fouls intentionally, to suggest that Keane or Vieira never did either is complete and utter nonsense.

He didn't make it at United as a kid because that's the way things go for a lot of young players. One things for sure though, he would walk into that team now.
    Actually, Jivin put it more succinctly than I ever could.

I don't deny that Keane or Vieira never fouled intentionally, because that is utter garbage, but a lot of their fouls are based on passion etc, and of course others are intentional.
    Savage has an incredible temperment, which is why he has been sent off once in his career, and doesn't get irked up in games. Every single foul he makes is a choice he makes.

btw, half the forum would walk into Uniteds midfield.

Fouling in the correct position and at the correct stage of the game is an integral part of the game, I was thought as much when playing. Your stat about Savage says a lot tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

I'm a big fan of robbie savage and would much rather have him in my side than not. He is a totally committed pro who never fails to give less than 100%

He can tend to be a bit rash sometimes but his dismissal at the weekend was his first in the prem. He isn't only a midfield fighter though, he is also a decent footballer, and i have to say he is a big loss for wales, and here's hoping he isnt back in the fold by the time we are playing them!

hard working, but so were the entire sunderland team.
    i dont think he is anything special, but makes up for it with his antics.

hes already been found out, and im delighted he got the second yellow.
    both cards were deserved.

How do you make that out? Besides Soccer Sunday (or whatever Sky show it was he mentioned), which PHB pointed out, I've yet to see a publication which states that he deserved to be sent off. Anything I've read or seen said it was harsh, and I'd agree.

As for Sunderland being hard working, watch a few of their games. Have you ever watched Collins, who plays in defence, play?

Lemlin, I think he thinks he should have been sent off, and so do I. I really don't care what the TV said.
    The first tackle was definately a yellow, rash challenge.
    The second folul was a deliberate handball, which is a yellow card.

Lemlin wrote:
    How do you make that out? Besides Soccer Sunday (or whatever Sky show it was he mentioned), which PHB pointed out, I've yet to see a publication which states that he deserved to be sent off. Anything I've read or seen said it was harsh, and I'd agree.

As for Sunderland being hard working, watch a few of their games. Have you ever watched Collins, who plays in defence, play?

As I stated earlier I think he did deserve to be sent off! The first yellow was a definite, as for the second had the pass that he handled been closer I think he would have gotten away with it but it travelled a bit to far! Although he did make a good effort at making it look accidental! As it is 2 yellows he can not appeal!

Lemlin wrote:

oh well then, since your opinion is different and some tv pundits agree with you, i must indeed change my mind...
    :rolleyes:

more blackburn jingoism from lemlin...

oh well then, since your opinion is different and some tv pundits agree with you, i must indeed change my mind...
    :rolleyes:

more blackburn jingoism from lemlin...

No I'm just proving that I'm not the only one of that opinion. Several TV pundits and several people on this forum agree that he shouldn't of been sent off. Far more than seem to think he should have been.

What I'm doing is called backing up my point. Something which, from observation of your point above, you seem unable to do ;)

By the way, here's an interesting stat for your good self, a Tottenham fan. In 35 starts, Savage has picked up 10 yellow cards. In 23 starts, Edgar Davids has picked up 9. Who has the worse disciplinary record there?

Here's the links: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/gamelog?id=7895&cc=5739
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/gamelog?id=12717&cc=5739

Lemlin wrote:
    No I'm just proving that I'm not the only one of that opinion. Several TV pundits and several people on this forum agree that he shouldn't of been sent off. Far more than seem to think he should have been.

and?

hey, i mean, if it makes you feel good that some people agree that savage shouldnt have been sent off, then great for you. im happy youre easily pleased!
    really, i dont want anyone unhappy!
    Lemlin wrote:

What I'm doing is called backing up my point. Something which, from observation of your point above, you seem unable to do ;)

what was the point i havent backed up?
    that i dont think hes a good player, or that i feel he should have been sent off?
    well hold on, some other people here said they should have been sent off as well.
    is this valid back up or will you just dismiss it?

although, i am unsure what the point of getting backing from other people with regards to two yellow cards is. dunno, maybe i just have a better understanding of the rules of football.
    Lemlin wrote:
    By the way, here's an interesting stat for your good self, a Tottenham fan. In 35 starts, Savage has picked up 10 yellow cards. In 23 starts, Edgar Davids has picked up 9. Who has the worse disciplinary record there?

who mentioned dicilinary records?

wow, youre doing it again.

you dont like what someone says about anything to do with blackburn, and you just go off on your own little tangent. i am completely unsure what the level of yellow cards has, but since we are making comparisons of players, how many times as robbie savage played in a world cup?

hes a grafter. hes got passion. hes good.
    but hes not great. and to be known for something other than your footballing prowess is probably not what any international footballer wants.
    oh, but hes not an international anymore is he?

please feel free to continue whatever crusade you are on, but for me blackburn will always be a small 2 bit club, that play nasty football, that kick lumps out of the oppo and will always be plucky little underdogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

Its not so much his disciplinary record that pisses me off, its his cheating and his approach to the game in general.

He is an effective player but his attitude stinks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭chiller

imo robbie savage is a decent enough player. i agree with lemlin that he contributes alot more than barry ferguson ever did. i myself am suprised that it was his first red card in the premiership. he tries to hard to be like keane and viera but he hasnt got the technical ability to do so, so he tries to wind players up and moan at refs to get players booked to make up for it lake of ability. pity he didnt make it at man utd keane would have made him a much better player than he is now!

• Advertisement

please feel free to continue whatever crusade you are on, but for me blackburn will always be a small 2 bit club, that play nasty football, that kick lumps out of the oppo and will always be plucky little underdogs.

so Blackburn arent playing any kind of decent football atm ? the two goals from open play against middlesboro at the weekend were not created by some very nice football, good passing and great strikes ?

Sure they werent the most pleasant side to look at under Souness's regime, but i think this season they really have come on in leaps and bounds, they are playing some excellent football, a good game and really, deserve to lose that sort of a tag. You really show your ignorance, saying they play nasty football and kick lumps out of people when they have been playing some of the best and most attractive football in the league, in the last 6 months!

When did you actually last watch Blackburn play ?
    how many times as robbie savage played in a world cup?

Neil Lennon was a very good player, but he played for Northern Ireland. One good player doesnt make a team, Wales very nearly qualified for a world cup while Robbie Savage was in the squad, look how well they are doing now :)

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan
    what was the point i havent backed up?
    that i dont think hes a good player, or that i feel he should have been sent off?
    well hold on, some other people here said they should have been sent off as well.
    is this valid back up or will you just dismiss it?

although, i am unsure what the point of getting backing from other people with regards to two yellow cards is. dunno, maybe i just have a better understanding of the rules of football.

I'm not dismissing it. If you have noticed my backup is that alot more people and newspapers etc.think he shouldn't of been sent off than think he should of been. Surely that's a valid point to make. You have your own opinion and you're free to have it. I'm just backing up my point that I don't think he should of been sent off.

The question is not about getting backing from people. The question is whether the cards were deserved. I think they weren't. You think they were.
    who mentioned dicilinary records?

Read the thread. There's plenty of opinion about disciplinary records. I'm pointing out that Savage's isn't as bad as what people would think. Do you ever hear people talk of Davids' amount of yellows cards? No, because people like to single out players they don't like. The people the media portray as the bad guys. Savage just plays up to this.

wow, youre doing it again.

you dont like what someone says about anything to do with blackburn, and you just go off on your own little tangent. i am completely unsure what the level of yellow cards has, but since we are making comparisons of players, how many times as robbie savage played in a world cup?

hes a grafter. hes got passion. hes good.
    but hes not great. and to be known for something other than your footballing prowess is probably not what any international footballer wants.
    oh, but hes not an international anymore is he?

I'm not going off on any tangent. I'm comparing Savage to another player in the PL. People here have talked about Savage's disciplinary record as I've said above but you don't hear them singling out Davids. Its all about the media and how they portray players.

As for Savage and World Cups, can Robbie Savage help that he's from Wales? He can't but he and Mark Hughes helped to pull Wales very close to being in one.

Does it make Shay Given a useless goalkeeper because Ireland won't be in the World Cup this Summer? Think about your points before you make them please.

LOL. Spurs are close to European football for one season and the way you go on you'd swear they were the best team in European football.

The other day you referred to Man United as "has-beens" on the RVN thread. United are a club that have won more than Spurs could ever dream of. Spurs are a club who have yet to finish in the top six of the PL yet United are the "has-beens", even though they currently lie in second with Spurs in 4th. Who's guilty of jingoism for their club there?

As for Blackburn being plucky little underdogs? I think you'll find Rovers were Premiership champions in 1995 and League Cup Champions in 2002. Who did we beat in that final again incidentally? ;)

I'm pleased to see you not only follow the media route with Savage but also with Blackburn as a team. Where have you seen Blackburn play nasty football recently then? Hughes has been working that out of their game since Souness left.

Did you even watch the Spurs vs. Blackburn game? Were Blackburn kicking lumps out of the Spurs players there? No, they were playing some damn good football in a very entertaining game.

Lemlin wrote:
    Did you even watch the Spurs vs. Blackburn game? Were Blackburn kicking lumps out of the Spurs players there? No, they were playing some damn good football in a very entertaining game.

Which they lost :p

Which they lost :p

Indeed they did but would you be happy if the same mistakes were made by the match officials in a game involving the team you support? Its a can of worms I don't want to open again but it must be noted.

And, to get back to the original point, I'm pointing out that Blackburn most certainly did not kick lumps out of Spurs or their players. They played very good football and were the better team.

WhiteWashMan is simply taking the usual media route of branding Blackburn thugs.

Lemlin wrote:
    Indeed they did but would you be happy if the same mistakes were made by the match officials in a game involving the team you support? Its a can of worms I don't want to open again but it must be noted.

And, to get back to the original point, I'm pointing out that Blackburn most certainly did not kick lumps out of Spurs or their players. They played very good football and were the better team.

WhiteWashMan is simply taking the usual media route of branding Blackburn thugs.

I didn't see that game so cannot comment, well except for my previous one! As for Blackburn being branded thugs, every team has players who live on the edge and occasionally over step the mark! It is just that Blackburn seem to have more of them than most other teams e.g. Bellamy, Savage, Todd, Neill, Mokoena, that coupled with the style they played last year has gotten them that reputation! This year they seem to have gone away from that, it will be interesting if they can hold onto Pedersen in the summer!

I didn't see that game so cannot comment, well except for my previous one! As for Blackburn being branded thugs, every team has players who live on the edge and occasionally over step the mark! It is just that Blackburn seem to have more of them than most other teams e.g. Bellamy, Savage, Todd, Neill, Mokoena, that coupled with the style they played last year has gotten them that reputation! This year they seem to have gone away from that, it will be interesting if they can hold onto Pedersen in the summer!

But Blackburn actually have less red cards this year than teams like Chelsea and Newcastle. You don't hear the media talk about that though.

• Advertisement

Lemlin wrote:
    But Blackburn actually have less red cards this year than teams like Chelsea and Newcastle. You don't hear the media talk about that though.

The media do not seem to be talking about that side of Blackburns play as much this year, maybe you are just being a bit paranoid! Reputations are not built up or gotten rid of over night!

The media do not seem to be talking about that side of Blackburns play as much this year, maybe you are just being a bit paranoid! Reputations are not built up or gotten rid of over night!

At the start of the season they couldnt get enough of it...after christmas they all pretty much coped on and said " hey, blackburn are actually playing decent football " and i havent seen to much since then, in fact, most in the media were supporting robbie savage...what a turn around!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

el rabitos wrote:
    skanger.

Less of the player abuse please.

kdjac

Neil Lennon was a very good player, but he played for Northern Ireland. One good player doesnt make a team, Wales very nearly qualified for a world cup while Robbie Savage was in the squad, look how well they are doing now :)

well, my point was really that it has about as much to do with a discussion on robbie savage getting a red card as it does about davids being in the world cup.

which is to say absolutely none.
    lemlin wrote:
    WhiteWashMan is simply taking the usual media route of branding Blackburn thugs

am i?
    well again. if you say so...

but sure, if i agree with the media i must be right, which is apaprently a bad thing.
    when you agree withthe media, its a good thing.

i do it. wrong.
    you do it. right.

there appears to be a lack of consistancy in your arguements here.
    l;isten, i think its cute you defend your players so passionately. its good to see a true supporter instead of a bandwagon hopping utd , arsenal or pool fan.

i salute a true fan.
    lemilin wrote:
    Do you ever hear people talk of Davids' amount of yellows cards?

ironically enough, i think that davids has received half of them becuase of his reputation. he has a reputation for hard tackling and huge commitment.
    it was obvious from his first 3 months at the club that he would not change his play, and that he was going to get cards. its the way he plays. but i have seen him get carded for nonesense reasons. but i wouldnt have him any other way. although, he is finding it more difficult to get into the squad. i do hope he plays against arsenal :)

by the way, savage doesnt get media attention for being a dirty player, or for cards. he gets it for getting other people sent off, for play acting, for diving and for generally being a prat. these are allegations you cant deny.

sure, most people are surprised he was sent off. i wasnt. like i said, i think hes a good player, hes certainly passionate, but hes not world class, and he wont be remembered for that. he will be remembered for having shaggy blonde hair and getting people sent off.
    thats what he will be remembered for.
    lemlin wrote:
    Spurs are close to European football for one season and the way you go on you'd swear they were the best team in European football

not at all. i think youve read enough of my talk about spurs to know that i am extremely realist about what spurs have achieved. i dont think we will make 4th place, and i have already said in another thread that i think blackburn are a threat, and ive been saying for the past 3 months on various threads that i think the biggest and best improved team in the premiership this year has been blackburn and that i think they will be looking for a place in europe this year.
    in fact, it was just after we drew 0-0 at ewood park back in septemeber/october.

so yes, i still think of blackburn as underdogs, and i still think of lucas neill and co kicking lumps out of people. i do think they are better than last season. i do consider them a threat. and do consider them a small club. do they play marvelous football?
    well, it really cant be worse than under souness (i think even i could install better football in a team than that man), but i would have put it on a par with the likes of charlton, wigan or west ham. they are no barcelona. :)

but then again, only barcelona are, but they seem to be the standard these days
    lemlin wrote:
    I'm pleased to see you not only follow the media route with Savage but also with Blackburn as a team

not really. i only base my opinions on what i see and know. if i wanted someone else to make my mind up for me id actually listen to half of what the people on these forums believe.
    if i havent seen blackburn play the marvelous football you talk about, then exactly how am i supposed to know about it? maybe they do.
    of course, if the media said they do, and i believed them, does that then mean i am letting the media do my thinking for me.

it seems all i can do is buy myself a season ticket to ewood park.
    but that will never happen. the only penalty points on my driving licence were given to me by the nice constabulary of blackburn, and i intend to never go there again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭casanova_kid

He's a useful player,very comitted but acts the dick alot. The maldini incident case in point. He not a 'great' player though, has very little technical ability, should be in the Wales team though.

• Advertisement

well, my point was really that it has about as much to do with a discussion on robbie savage getting a red card as it does about davids being in the world cup.

which is to say absolutely none.

Let me see, we're talking about Robbie Savage's disciplinary records. People have said that he seems to pick up yellow cards for fun. You have also talked about "his antics". I've compared him to the disciplinary of another player who doesn't get near as much criticism but has a far worse record.

I think that's on topic if you ask me. After all, what's wrong with comparing two strikers scoring records if this was about a striker's good or bad goal scoring?

am i?
    well again. if you say so...

but sure, if i agree with the media i must be right, which is apaprently a bad thing.
    when you agree withthe media, its a good thing.

i do it. wrong.
    you do it. right.

there appears to be a lack of consistancy in your arguements here.
    l;isten, i think its cute you defend your players so passionately. its good to see a true supporter instead of a bandwagon hopping utd , arsenal or pool fan.

i salute a true fan.

It is the tabloids who paint Blackburn as thugs and who you seem to agree with. I don't read those. The media being referred to by myself was established internet websites and broadshseet newspapers, the only media that should be viewed, or even printed, IMO.
    ironically enough, i think that davids has received half of them becuase of his reputation. he has a reputation for hard tackling and huge commitment.
    it was obvious from his first 3 months at the club that he would not change his play, and that he was going to get cards. its the way he plays. but i have seen him get carded for nonesense reasons. but i wouldnt have him any other way. although, he is finding it more difficult to get into the squad. i do hope he plays against arsenal

by the way, savage doesnt get media attention for being a dirty player, or for cards. he gets it for getting other people sent off, for play acting, for diving and for generally being a prat. these are allegations you cant deny.

sure, most people are surprised he was sent off. i wasnt. like i said, i think hes a good player, hes certainly passionate, but hes not world class, and he wont be remembered for that. he will be remembered for having shaggy blonde hair and getting people sent off.
    thats what he will be remembered for.

And you don't think Savage has a reputation? I'm sure Davids has huge commitment for Spurs and he's not there for just one last big pay cheque ;)

I haven't denied these allegations. Its part of his play and it regularly works well against opponents.

As for being remembered, I don't think Savage cares about anyone but the fans of his own teams remembering him, and how he showed true grit and passion for the clubs he has played for. Birmingham fans may not agree with some of that but he gave it his all when he wore their jersey.

In all honesty, I don't see why he should care about being loved by the masses anyway. He's a Blackburn footballer and he does his best for the club. Just like he did for Leicester and Birmingham in the past.
    not at all. i think youve read enough of my talk about spurs to know that i am extremely realist about what spurs have achieved. i dont think we will make 4th place, and i have already said in another thread that i think blackburn are a threat, and ive been saying for the past 3 months on various threads that i think the biggest and best improved team in the premiership this year has been blackburn and that i think they will be looking for a place in europe this year.
    in fact, it was just after we drew 0-0 at ewood park back in septemeber/october.

so yes, i still think of blackburn as underdogs, and i still think of lucas neill and co kicking lumps out of people. i do think they are better than last season. i do consider them a threat. and do consider them a small club. do they play marvelous football?
    well, it really cant be worse than under souness (i think even i could install better football in a team than that man), but i would have put it on a par with the likes of charlton, wigan or west ham. they are no barcelona.

but then again, only barcelona are, but they seem to be the standard these days

I can't see how you are realistic when you are referring to teams just below Spurs in the League as underdogs. Teams who have been more successful than Spurs in recent times. You also talked about how Michael Carrick wouldn't go to United because they are "has-beens". What exactly does that make Spurs then? A team who have never finished in the top six of the PL. That just doesn't seem very realist to me.
    not really. i only base my opinions on what i see and know. if i wanted someone else to make my mind up for me id actually listen to half of what the people on these forums believe.
    if i havent seen blackburn play the marvelous football you talk about, then exactly how am i supposed to know about it? maybe they do.
    of course, if the media said they do, and i believed them, does that then mean i am letting the media do my thinking for me.

it seems all i can do is buy myself a season ticket to ewood park.
    but that will never happen. the only penalty points on my driving licence were given to me by the nice constabulary of blackburn, and i intend to never go there again

So you didn't even bother to watch one of the most important games of the season for the club you support just two weeks ago? Didn't even bother watching the highlights?. That says alot in itself really.

Lemlin wrote:
    blah blah blah.

erm, yeah. whatever.
    Lemlin wrote:
    So you didn't even bother to watch one of the most important games of the season for the club you support just two weeks ago? Didn't even bother watching the highlights?. That says alot in itself really.

does it?

what?

is this your way of insinuating that im not a 'true' supporter becuase you think i didnt want highlights of a game? come come now, cant you manage to post without trying to paint someone ass a lesser footballing being than yourself? i mean i could go back and make my points again in really small words for you, but if you dont want to see them, then no matter what i say will change your mind. and im not too bothered. we have completed the circle now, im not going to start again.

again, if thats what you think, you go right ahead. again,, im here to make you happy.

at the end of the day, i think robbie savage deserved to be red carded. and im happy he got it.

erm, yeah. whatever.

What a great way to try and dismiss my point. You can't answer what was were perfectly good points about both players' disciplinary records and your attitude towards Spurs so you just try try to fob it off.

does it?

what?

is this your way of insinuating that im not a 'true' supporter becuase you think i didnt want highlights of a game? come come now, cant you manage to post without trying to paint someone ass a lesser footballing being than yourself? i mean i could go back and make my points again in really small words for you, but if you dont want to see them, then no matter what i say will change your mind. and im not too bothered. we have completed the circle now, im not going to start again.

again, if thats what you think, you go right ahead. again,, im here to make you happy.

at the end of the day, i think robbie savage deserved to be red carded. and im happy he got it.

I am indeed. Anyone who's a proper Spurs supporter would of watched that game. I haven't made any comments about anyone being a lesser football being than myself. I just don't see how anyone could claim to be a good supporter and not even watch the highlights of one of their chosen club's biggest games of the season.

You point out that you haven't seen Blackburn play any good football. How do you expect to if you don't even watch your own club? It might be an idea to start watching Spurs and then see how other teams are doing.

Again, you could make your points in really small writing, it wouldn't stop them being any less wrong though. Pity about that ;)

Lemlin wrote:
    blah blah blah

reduced to petty taunts about how good a supporter i am.

silly boy.

reduced to petty taunts about how good a supporter i am.

silly boy.

Nope, just pointing out how I don't think you should be commenting on Blackburn and that you haven't seen them play good football if you don't even watch your own club.

How do you expect to see Blackburn play good football if you won't even watch them when they are playing against the club you support?

Its a very valid argument IMO. I'm not the one who has reduced themselves to petty taunts either, have a read of your own posts there "silly boy".

Advertisement