Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Its the FA Cup Quater Finals Thread (all week!).

• 20-03-2006 8:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

WTF?

The FA have outdone themselves, it should not be beyond thier wit to play these games over one night and have the TV coverage split between Sky and BBC1 and 2 but no intsead we have this farce.

FA Cup sixth-round dates:

Monday, 20 March

Man City v West Ham (KO 2005 Live on BBC1) - West Ham after extra time

Tuesday, 21 March

Birmingham v Liverpool (KO 1945) - Liverpool

Wednesday, 22 March

Chelsea v Newcastle (KO 2005 Live on BBC1) Chelsea

Thursday, 23 March

Charlton v Middlesbrough (KO 2005 Live on BBC1) 'Boro after extra time (hey they're a cup side!)

Pool on Sky. :(

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

i would agree with your predictions except for the city v west ham game,
    city to win 3-2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

i hope we dont get hammered too badly!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

The way the fixtures are arranged is a joke. I cant remember FA cup games ever being mid-week before(obviously bar replays) never mind being spread throughout the week. Its a joke tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

nice

i forgot all these games were on this week :)

all midweek for the world cup or something. doesnt bother me at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

well the reason they are on midweek is due to the shortened season so england can win the wolrd cup! ha!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Man City
    Pool
    Chelsea
    Charlton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

A game every night.....man, by the end of the season, football will have taken its toll on my exam results!

Man City vs. West Ham - Probably the hardest one to call, but I'll say City given their strong home form (saturday's defeat aside)

Birmingham vs. Pool - I expect Liverpool to go through, but given Benitez's failure to beat Brum since he took over, I wouldn't be surprised if they needed a replay.

Chelsea vs. Newcastle - Newcastle's last two games have been televised, I watched both and their defence was absolutely suicidal. I expect Chelsea to win by a large margin.

Charlton vs. Boro - Given Boro's inconsistency all season, I'll predict a win for them since they lost on saturday.

There are no replays, all matches decided on the night.

Oh, I thought replays ended at the semi's. That's good, because the way the City/West Ham match has started it could go to extra time! Very open, both teams seem very even. Musampa missed a great chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Great goal by Ashton

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

I was disappointed at the time to see Liverpool take their foot off the gas at Newcastle and really not go for more goals. But now I am happy. Gerrard got a rest, so did Crouch, as did Alonso. Finnan wasn't even in the squad.

Benitez should have a full and reasonably fresh side to chose from. Birmingham have bigger things on their mind. Hopefully this will tip the balance in Liverpools favour.

I spoke too soon about the City/West Ham game. After a good opening 5-10 minutes, it faded a bit. Glad West Ham took the lead to be honest, the onus is on City as the home team to really take it to them now.
    Great goal by Ashton.

2-0 west ham, match over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Cracking game, well second half. Edge of the seat finale. I feel a little sorry for City, loads of top players missing then a truely stupid red card moment :rolleyes: But they kept going like troopers esp Dunne.

Mike.

what a goal from musampa!! great finish to the game. praying for a hammers - liverpool final, might mean a free trip to it!!

I missed the start of the second half. There doesn't seem to be any discussion over Jihai's red card. Not even a replay. Stone-wall red?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

The Man City equaliser was a cracker though!!!! Only seen the goals on ITV news.

The red was straight foward for me, raised hands and an attempt to make a connection with the other players head. That Sun Jihai 95% missed his target is bye the bye.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Fantastic left foot volley from Musampa

i thought he hit him the first time and missed him the second, definite red - i thought the ref did quite well today, considering the somiel and ashton thing could have got out of hand he delt with it quite well.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

mike65 wrote:
    The red was straight foward for me, raised hands and an attempt to make a connection with the other players head. That Sun Jihai 95% missed his target is bye the bye.

Mike.
    A discussion for another day, but I had to laugh at Sun Jihai's red for flailing a hand at another player, when in the rugby on Saturday a player got off scot-free for landing a punch, and the commentators said that he was unlucky not to get a yellow. There was also a near brawl, and the ref broke it up and told them to stop the handbags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

diffrent games,diffrent rules

sun could easily have caught the man alot worse and id say im right in presuming he was sent off as much for the intent to cause harm to a player than actually causing harm to him

What chance of The Magpies shocking Chelsea like Fulham have?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

mike65 wrote:
    What chance of The Magpies shocking Chelsea like Fulham have?

Mike.
    would love to see it and no beyonds the realms of possibility. Chelsea haven't played well for a while. Any early goal to Newcastle would make thing interesting.

Prob be 4-0 to Chelsea

ah ya neevr know, it is the f.a cup after all!

Not beyond the bounds of reality, especially being a cup game.
    But I think because of:
    1) A 'wounded' Chelsea probably getting a rollocking from an angry Mourinho and
    2) Newcastle's suicidal defence even more depleted by injury and suspension
    that Chelsea will win.

But then again, I did say City would go through and Birmingham would be a stern test for Liverpool :o

chelsea are 10-1 to win 3-1,doesnt look a bad bet;)

1-0 already.

last night odds of 6-5 for them to score a goal in both havles.

That rule drives me insane. Geremi goes down, Newcastle play on for a few seconds until Dyer finally kicks the ball out of play with all the Chelsea players pointing at the fallen Geremi. So Dyer puts it out to touch, outside the Chelsea penalty area. Chelsea kindly give Newcastle back possession from the throw-in....Gudjohnson boots it back down to Shay Given. Madness!

• Advertisement

That rule drives me insane. Geremi goes down, Newcastle play on for a few seconds until Dyer finally kicks the ball out of play with all the Chelsea players pointing at the fallen Geremi. So Dyer puts it out to touch, outside the Chelsea penalty area. Chelsea kindly give Newcastle back possession from the throw-in....Gudjohnson boots it back down to Shay Given. Madness!

and del horno should be in hollywood or the olympics
    players diving makes me so mad

only 1-0 down, ya never we might be able to sneak one back, del horno should of been booked ffs, thats the 3rd time hes gone down when he hasnt been touched!!!! if its anyone whos guna get the equaliser for us it will be shearer, and mr.roeder please take ameobi off, donkeys cannot play football!

i say put it out for a goalkick, and make them give that back to you.

totally agree, tbh if i was dyer i would of played on, i know its unsportsman like but fúck it, we are 1-0 down. and did you see geremi jump right back up when dyer put the ball out, ffs :rolleyes:

Is there a league table for diving?

Mike.

Nice to see SWP has graduated from the Stamford Bridge School of Diving.

Chelsea were piss poor.

Mike.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote:
    Nice to see SWP has graduated from the Stamford Brige School of Diving.

Chelsea were piss poor.

Mike.

lol,but so very true

What a crap game!
    It's a shame Chelsea scored so early on, because they were content to sit back and shut the game off, they never looked like hitting their top form.
    Newcastle were unlucky, because the goal could have been stopped on another day, I think Given had it covered. For the rest of the game they defended really well.
    Finally, anyone else just get frustrated as hell with all the diving? It was ridiculous!
    Poor, poor game.

edit, yeah, forgot to mention to red card. Benett will feel a little silly after seeing it on the replay. (Although probably won't change anything, he's a bad ref imo, way too trigger-happy with his cards)
    I know SWP is small, but come on, that "challenge" from Elliott wouldn't have knocked over a 4-year old.

full time 1-0

im pretty gutted tbh, i know we didnt really have much of a chance, but it being gods last season i would of loved to see him lift the f.a cup, ah well. i think what newcastle should do now is start playing some of the youngsters and start experimenting with the 8 games left as we are safe from relegation and uefa spot is out of our reach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Despite the fact that Chelsea are through, once again they have a bad game. I'm hoping this run of playing bad continues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Teams for tonights games

Charlton
    T Myhre, L Young, C Perry, H Hreidarsson, C Powell, R Kishishev, M Holland, B Hughes, J Thomas, D Bent, S Bartlett
    Subs: S Andersen, J Euell, D Rommedahl, J Spector, J Bothroyd

Middlesbrough
    M Schwarzer, S Parnaby, U Ehiogu, G Southgate, F Queudrue, L Cattermole, G Boateng, G Mendieta, S Downing, J Hasselbaink, A Yakubu
    Subs: B Jones, F Rochemback, E Pogatetz, J Morrison, M Viduka

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I didn't think there were replays in this year's semis.

Exactly! I was gearing up for the horror of another 30 mins then the redemption of a peno shoot out. Who the hell thought replays would be wise in a truncated season? Or that anyone would wish to sit though another possible 120 mins of what we saw tonight.

Who on earth would give either manager the England job?

Mike.

I was working all night, what was the score?? And there are replays? I knew I wasn't going crazy! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I was working all night, what was the score?? And there are replays? I knew I wasn't going crazy! :)

A 0-0 bore fest. Made last night's game look like a classic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

So when will the replay be?????????????

Just want to avoid another boring match...........:p

Lemlin wrote:
    A 0-0 bore fest. Made last night's game look like a classic.
    Thanks. Glad I avoided it, I think it had 'snore' written all over it.
    Won't be a welcome game for McLaren, with them still being involved in the UEFA Cup and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭ullu

Was I mistaken in thinking that the other three quarter-finals were going to end on the night, even if it meant penalties? I definitely recall it being mentioned during the Man City vs West Ham match. If so, why was tonight's game different?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

thats what i thought earlier. i remember on tuesday night the commentator or someone saying that a winner had to be decided on the night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

yeah for some reason this was the only one that could go to a replay, and its so far away due to the UEFA and boro's particapation in it

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭ullu

Whatever the reason is, it's very odd given that Boro are the only team left in Europe.

• Advertisement
Advertisement