Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend Broadband provider....

• 20-03-2006 8:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Hi everyone.
    Ok, I'll keep it brief :)
    I wsa thinking of getting broadband (still using a crappy dial up connection at the mo). I had decided on Irish Broadband, and looked up there site today. For some reason they dont offer the 18.95 package (which is the one I wanted) in my area, BUT they do offer the dearer ones...I thought this was a bit weird.
    Anyway I dunno why but I thought I'd see if there were any posts about IBB on a few forums, and lucky I did. I dont know the exact problems, but I had a quick look at the sticky thats full of complaints etc to IBB.

....so I'm thinking IBB isn't the best choice then.....:confused:

Can anyone recommend a provider that is good, and is available in the D22 area. I'm willing to spend about 30 euro a month. A fast connection that makes downloading music etc easier would be great. (It took me 40 mins to download one song last night!!)

...any suggestions? :)

Thanks in advance :)

Oh, it has to be wireless too! I dont want it to tie up the phoneline whenever I'm on it.

Thanks again for any responses :)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Hi everyone.
    Ok, I'll keep it brief :)
    I wsa thinking of getting broadband (still using a crappy dial up connection at the mo). I had decided on Irish Broadband, and looked up there site today. For some reason they dont offer the 18.95 package (which is the one I wanted) in my area, BUT they do offer the dearer ones...I thought this was a bit weird.
    Anyway I dunno why but I thought I'd see if there were any posts about IBB on a few forums, and lucky I did. I dont know the exact problems, but I had a quick look at the sticky thats full of complaints etc to IBB.

....so I'm thinking IBB isn't the best choice then.....:confused:

Can anyone recommend a provider that is good, and is available in the D22 area. I'm willing to spend about 30 euro a month. A fast connection that makes downloading music etc easier would be great. (It took me 40 mins to download one song last night!!)

...any suggestions? :)

Thanks in advance :)

Oh, it has to be wireless too! I dont want it to tie up the phoneline whenever I'm on it.

Thanks again for any responses :)

Getting bb over the phoneline does not tie the phone up at all. So if that's your only reason for thinking wireless forget about it and start looking at your other options and what about NTL do they do bb in your area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

you can use the phone while using the internet on every "over the phoneline" broadband service around, eircom, esat bt, utv, digiweb, netsource.

eg. my mother is actually on the phone to belfast as i type this....

there's really no reason to go for wireless unless unless the place you're living doesn't have a phoneline, or the line/exchange can't handle broadband. if you're in those last 2 situations, Clearwire/Digiweb Metro are 2 soultions, however if you're only worried about tying up the phoneline, then don't be, they both work at the same time, unlike dial-up.

there's pros and cons with all the BB providers. if you can get NTL, then that's generally considered the best.

esat bt is generally thoguht of as the best "over the phoneline" broadband, although their billing dept. is a mess, so watch out for that.

if you do a search on best broadband packages, you should get the pros and cons of each service out there...

personally, i switched from dialup to digiweb's 3mb service last november, no complaints whatsoever...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

I have the 48€ IBB and am happy with it 200k + in ALL applications wink wink.

Reason you cant get the 18.50 one is the range from the mast to the users house is much shoorter than the more expensive fixed option range.

Advertisement