Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RedHat Cert

• 20-03-2006 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

RHCT or RHCE certification does it still hold a credibility when they are so many different distros out their e.g (Suse,Knopix, Ubuntu .....etc ) as it only focuses on Red Hat only...or is it just a benchmarking criteria in the academic world ....

What value does it hold ?
    How acceptable is it ?

Linux is based on Open source so why such a notion of credibility required ?

You sit for your RHCT ---> RHCE --->Qualified Linux Engineer.

New version release follow upgrade path RHCE (AS4)--->Upgrade (RHCT expired

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 lexeme

a load of shit and bollocks to me.

so the new guy comes in, and he's certified in RHEL, Solaris and has one of the windows ones to boot!

great! i thought.

alas, he had to be shown a lot of stuff, from ifconfig, route and dhcp clients to "cd -", the up arrow instead of `!!` and reverse searching through command history.

lots of other simple stuff also.

certification = very little.

looks good on your CV though, 'cause ironically enough, the H.R. people responsible for doing the hiring think it looks great!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 helix26

lexeme wrote:
    a load of shit and bollocks to me.

so the new guy comes in, and he's certified in RHEL, Solaris and has one of the windows ones to boot!

great! i thought.

alas, he had to be shown a lot of stuff, from ifconfig, route and dhcp clients to "cd -", the up arrow instead of `!!` and reverse searching through command history.

lots of other simple stuff also.

certification = very little.

looks good on your CV though, 'cause ironically enough, the H.R. people responsible for doing the hiring think it looks great!

I suppose the issue lie's during the recruiting process you don't get Tech's interviewing the new joiners instead someone with only 15% to 20% knowledge of ICT comes in trying to judge the jobseeker

and if the jobseeker is chicky enough to put a good sales pitch to sell him/her self they make it through with Certs and no experience and NO knowledge or foundation !!, I’ve come across few and honestly they pi** me off ....

But on the other hand it's a good idea to have a few pieces of paper when you have some background experience and you are out their in the market...

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭valen

It's a cert. It's as valuable as your leaving cert, college diploma - i.e. it's worth something if someone wants it.

In most government jobs, it can mean a straight pay rise. In companies where engineers aren't very visible, it's a big plus, as you stand out. If you don't have a huge amount of experience, it can really make a difference. A co-worker from Brazil applied for a job in Zurich, and the only reason she was given the visa to work was that she had a RedHat cert, which was rare in Switzerland.

Beware of people that tell you it's worthless. It's not; the fact that people with certs can be crap does not mean all people with certs are crap.

That said, I wouldn't bother with it myself - but then, I've enough on a CV that a cert would just look strange.

John

Advertisement