Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying A New Road Bike - Spend Money Now or Later?

Options
  • 20-03-2006 11:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

less expensive one, then as you get into it you can upgrade the wheels etc, which aren't much better on the more expensive one you listed anyway.
    if you really get into it you will probably want to upgrade in a while anyway no matter which one you get, so may as well start cheap and work it up from there..

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

It definitely costs more to upgrade to a higher spec. than to buy at that spec. in the first place. This is because the manufacturers get volume discounts on components whereas you dont.

That said, theres no point in having a high spec. bike sitting in the garage.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Depends on the frame. More expensive bikes tend to have better frames and it's not a simple upgrade :p

Also pay attention to the intefaces, pedals, saddle and handlebars/brake and gear levers. They can be expensive but worth it. If a bike comes with the ones you want then best to go for it rather than upgrade to them later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭da_deadman

I am also in a similar position to daveirl; I have been doing a fair bit of cycling for the last 2 years, and am looking to get a new road bike and was checking the prices for those same 3 bikes (i.e. Giant OCR3, Trek 1000 and Trek 1200). This would be my first road bike and so I was loking for an entry-level one. I think the best prices I've seen for the 2 Treks was in Cycleogical.

But when I was in Cycleways, the guy in there wasn't too complimentary about that Giant, and instead was recommending the Specialized Allez, for about €800, and it comes with a helmet, and spd pedals and shoes.

Any one have a similar Specialized? If so, what is your opinion on it? At the moment I'm probably leaning towards this one in Cyceways...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭da_deadman

bedlam wrote:
    They don't sell Giant so of course they are going to try and pimp something they stock. I'm sure the comparison between Ferrari's and other cars was made as well ;]

Well, I was actually looking at the Giant at the time, in Cycleways, where they were selling it... they don't sell Trek, so maybe that's what you're thinking of...

• Advertisement

da_deadman wrote:
    Well, I was actually looking at the Giant at the time, in Cycleways, where they were selling it... they don't sell Trek, so maybe that's what you're thinking of...

in fairness to him, they only stock a very limited range of giant bikes and really push the more expensive bikes they stock. I was in with them before and they badmouthed a giant mtb that got 10 stars in a few of the magazines, when I said that back they guys was like 'well yeah they are good value i suppose'

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

Hi All,

I'm looking for a Bike too, I dont do a lot of cycling, maybe in and out of work twice a week in summer, about 10 miles each way. I was looking at an apollo cx10s in halfords, cost about €240. they dont have them in stock, is there something else similar available elsewhere? Can anyone recomend a bike or even a bike shop in North dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭pan

I've been on a trek 1000 for the last 3-4 years, and I love it! Still going strong.
    I use it for commuting mostly (and beacause of that I had to replace the wheels recently -buckles) and also perfect for the occasional sunday cycle.

Wouldn't bother with the 1200, spend the spare money on getting the right weather gear and excessories etc..(expensive in it own right)

sorry no experience of the Giant!

pan

i saw a couple of decent second hand racers in wheelworx in the mill shopping centre in clondalkin today, think they had a trek 1200 an older giant ocr3 and an older specialixed..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭boomshackala

da_deadman wrote:
    I am also in a similar position to daveirl; I have been doing a fair bit of cycling for the last 2 years, and am looking to get a new road bike and was checking the prices for those same 3 bikes (i.e. Giant OCR3, Trek 1000 and Trek 1200). This would be my first road bike and so I was loking for an entry-level one. I think the best prices I've seen for the 2 Treks was in Cycleogical.

But when I was in Cycleways, the guy in there wasn't too complimentary about that Giant, and instead was recommending the Specialized Allez, for about €800, and it comes with a helmet, and spd pedals and shoes.

Any one have a similar Specialized? If so, what is your opinion on it? At the moment I'm probably leaning towards this one in Cyceways...

Having owned both the specialized allez sport and a giant ocr2 (similar spec bikes) the specialized is superior imho, couple of niggly things about the giant that pissed me off - crappy saddle and those silly height adjustable handlebars that always creek...easily replaced I know but still think the specialized is a better buy

• Advertisement
Advertisement