Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NSR 125; Insurance and legal age questions

• 20-03-2006 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Hi people;

Just wondering;
    Im about to buy a NSR 125... i AM only 15 but i am doing it up as a project

Could someone tell me;
    1) What is the legal age for me to be allowed drive this bike?
    2) Where is the best place for me to get insurance at that age?

Thanks all for help,
    Dave

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

1) 17
    2) There are only two insurers: Aon and Carole Nash. They'll both rape you sideways for insurance on an NSR at 17.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

afaik its a group 7 bike, so they probably wont even quote you without some no claim bonus

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭da4i's

is it 16 to drive a moped?? (50cc)

*EDIT* Im going to insure it restricted to save money!! It's Group 2 restricted ;):)

Dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

they only accept factory restrictions & if you have a crash & they check the bike & find its not restricted, you wont be covered

yeah its 16 for a moped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

da4i's wrote:
    is it 16 to drive a moped?? (50cc)

*EDIT* Im going to insure it restricted to save money!! It's Group 2 restricted ;):)

Dave

The nsr 125 only came out restricted in 2002 or 2003 and you also get a certificate from honda with it, so unless you have it you won't be able to insure it as a restricted bike.

And to be honest mate, they will quote you about 5 grand third party only on a restricted nsr. AON are the only company that will quote you at that age. When i was 20 and had 2 years no claims bonus, my insurace on a group 2 bike (same group the restricted nsr is in) was €3000!!!!! You would be in a different bracket to what i was because of your age, you would be in the 16-18 bracket, i was in the 19-20 bracket

• Advertisement

What age must i be to drive an NSR 80??? Would it not be considered a moped because of its size????

Thanks again,
    Dave

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

You can get an A1 or M licence (up to 125cc) at 16, not 17. A moped is a bike under 50cc, and to qualify as a group 1 it should be automatic (no gears)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

No, it's a motorbike I'm afraid. A scooter would have to be under 50cc (category M licence).

Quote from URL mentioned by KatieK: "Licence:A1
    Motorcycles with an engine capacity not exceeding 125 cc and with a power rating not exceeding 11kW with or without sidecar."

Why cant i drive an NSR 125 at the age of 16 then?? :S

Dave

It is 16, sorry. I was thinking of cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Well a quick google lists a standurd NSR125 as having 12kW output. higher depending on after market extras.

sutty wrote:
    Well a quick google lists a standurd NSR125 as having 12kW output. higher depending on after market extras.
    Actually, after having a quick look, there would seem to be indications that mid-90's (perhaps 95 or 96), Honda decided to trim the NSR from a meaty 28bhp (remember that it's a 125 :)) to 15bhp - the maximum HP limit for Insurance group 2.

There are other contradictory sources though.

I didn't realise that in 2004 Honda made the CBR125R. Another sports bike, but marginally less powerful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭dawballz

Yeah the CBR125 is a 4 stroke, and basically, from what I've heard/read, crap.
    The Ins companies will only accept the restricted version of the NSR if it 2002 or newer. They won;t ask for a certificate though.

Man the insurance is sooooooo high :(

I think that i will be turning to the NSR 80 ; theres something about the NSR's that i just love lol :)

OK so, wrapping this up; one person says 17 to drive a NSR 125 and then the next says 16..... Which is it??? lol :)

Dave

It's 16. I misinformed you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Depending on the power output of the bike -

Basic categories
    Category Vehicle type Minimum age of driver
    A1 Motorcycles up to 11kW or 125 cc 16 years
    A (restricted) Motorcycles up to 25kW (approx. 300 cc) 18 years
    A Any size motorcycle (after 2 years on a full licence) 18 years
    M Moped with maximum speed of 45 kph and engine size up to 50 cc 16 years

http://www.oasis.gov.ie/transport/motoring/categories_of_motor_vehicles_and_minimum_age_of_drivers_in_ireland.html?search=Motorcycle+licence

Thank you for that mate;

What would you say you would be talkin for a NSR 80 at the age of 16? (insurance i mean)

Thanks!,
    Dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Only one way to find out. These are the only people wo will quote you without a no claims bonus. It won't be cheap, so prepare yourself.

Advertisement