Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Replacement Mirror Glass?

Options
  • 20-03-2006 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭

I bought a polo a while ago and ever since i got it the passengers side mirror looks like the glass in it is magnafied. I looked at it a while ago and realised that the mirror itself is just stuck onto of a broken one underneat.

I can see jack s*** in it and need to replace it properly fairly rapidly as i have my driving test next week. Where can i get this done? I i buy the mirror from Halfords do the fit it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Go to you VW dealer - they will fit one while you wait, hopefully. The old mirror simply snaps off and a new one snaps on. You may have to connect two wires if you have mirror heating.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

A VW dealership is probably your best option at this stage. If you had more time, I'd say eBay.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A VW stealer will only rip you off. They will probably tell that they only sell the whole unit, i.e the complete wing mirror including housing and glass. I would try a few scrap yards first, bound to be a few Polos there with intact wing mirrors, should cost a fraction of the price a VW stealer will charge you.

You could also try Traynor's up North. Search Google for their contact details.

A mirror glass should only cost €20 to 30 from a main dealer. A scrapyard won't sell you the glass without the mirror, as anyone looking for a mirror will probably want the glass too. At the end of the day it's a cheap part, do you really want to spend much time trying to save a tenner?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Yea, I might pop into a VW dealer after college & see what they have to say for themselves, no harm in trying halfords either i suppose.

Can't emagine why they'd need to replace the entire wing mirror its prefectly ok except for the fact the glass on the mirror is broken but other than that its fine.

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote:
    A mirror glass should only cost €20 to 30 from a main dealer. A scrapyard won't sell you the glass without the mirror, as anyone looking for a mirror will probably want the glass too. At the end of the day it's a cheap part, do you really want to spend much time trying to save a tenner?

To save a tenner no not worth the hassel but some manufacturer's don't sell these components individually. They may only sell the complete unit in order to make money off you. There is big money made from parts along with labour.

Of course no harm in ringing a dealer and finding out for sure.

bazz26 wrote:
    A VW stealer will only rip you off. They will probably tell that they only sell the whole unit, i.e the complete wing mirror including housing and glass. I would try a few scrap yards first, bound to be a few Polos there with intact wing mirrors, should cost a fraction of the price a VW stealer will charge you.

You could also try Traynor's up North. Search Google for their contact details.
    Nope - the mirror glass is available as a spare part from VW Left glass is 6N2 857 521 Right glass is 6N2 857 522. There maybe a letter after these numbers but it's been afew years since I worked in parts. Mirror glasses are €25-30 but if they are the heated type it could be up to €80!

crosstownk wrote:
    Nope - the mirror glass is available as a spare part from VW Left glass is 6N2 857 521 Right glass is 6N2 857 522. There maybe a letter after these numbers but it's been afew years since I worked in parts. Mirror glasses are €25-30 but if they are the heated type it could be up to €80!

That's not a bad price. The pre 2002 Polo had electric heated mirrors afaik.

It was an option before then afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭smarty

You could always check micksgarage.com. I have used them a few times. They are quite cheap and deliver next day. Replacement glass for the polo is €19.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Went to halfords who told me to ring my dealer who told me that it would cost €45 ex VAT for just the mirror glass:eek: the guy I spoke to there said its just a case of pulling out the broken one and putting in the replacement. Is it this easy? Its not heated but is electric.

Think I'll be geting it from a freind who knows one of the top hobknobs of VW Ireland who might be able to sort me out or else i'll go to micksgarage.ie

If your mate works in MDL he'll get a 33% discount. Prices must have gone up a lot since I sold VW parts!!

If you can get one for E19 from micksgarage then I think there's your answer. I've never replaced one on a Polo before, but I did an Alfa 156 one last week. That literally just popped on. If the mirror is heated, then there are two connections on the back of the glass for the two wires inside the mirror housing.

Use a towel around your hands when removing the old one - it will splinter.

Good point - how quickly I forgot!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Try GSF off the Nangor Rd., near the Red Cow.
    They stock all parts for German cars.
    01 4606062

Advertisement