Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota Aygo

Options
  • 21-03-2006 12:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what the thoughts are here on the new Toyota Aygo? Nearly all of my driving is done while sitting in the city traffic so this little fella seems to be the man for me.

Its around 11.5k new.. so Im thinking by January I'd get an 05 for 9500? (I'll be needing a few more months to save up for it).

aygo.jpg

I might try a test drive for saturday evening.. Just to see if its something Im interested in or not.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

all plasticy and crap
    my sister and i went to test drive it and all it was , was plastice and metal.there was all cheap material used. she didnot like it at all and she then bought a polo instead.it well worth spending the extra money as vw are great cars.

also just to tell you top gear said the same that they are cheap plastic cars.anyway the choice is yours

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Trotter wrote:
    Just wondering what the thoughts are here on the new Toyota Aygo? Nearly all of my driving is done while sitting in the city traffic so this little fella seems to be the man for me.

Its around 11.5k new.. so Im thinking by January I'd get an 05 for 9500? (I'll be needing a few more months to save up for it).

aygo.jpg

I might try a test drive for saturday evening.. Just to see if its something Im interested in or not.

The Aygo is built at the same factory in the Czech Republic as the Peugeot 107 and Citroen C1. All three cars share the same parts but the Toyota will have a 3 year warranty, the others will probably have only 2 years. The 1.0 engine is very economical but a little harsh. Perfect for city driving though.

drdre wrote:
    all plasticy and crap
    my sister and i went to test drive it and all it was , was plastice and metal.there was all cheap material used. she didnot like it at all and she then bought a polo instead.it well worth spending the extra money as vw are great cars.

also just to tell you top gear said the same that they are cheap plastic cars.anyway the choice is yours

The Polo is a more expensive car than the likes of the Aygo, C1 or 107. The Polo also costs about €3k or €4k more than the Aygo. The bigger Yaris is a more direct comparison to the Polo. The terrrible and overpriced VW Lupo is in the same market segment as the Aygo and costs about the same. That has some terrible plastics indeed and alot of visible paint on the inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

cheap car though..best bet is test drive it for half an hour and see what u think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

bazz26 wrote:
    alot of visible paint on the inside.

not necessarily a bad thing imho, i always like to see the inside painted as opposed to having plastic covering it:D

• Advertisement

lomb wrote:
    not necessarily a bad thing imho, i always like to see the inside painted as opposed to having plastic covering it:D

Depends on the car and where it is located really. For example the inside of the doors on the Lupo have very little plastic panels, the top where the door meets the window frame is painted and looks terrible imo. It reminded me of my father's old 1981 Fiesta many years ago. In fairness a plasic panel doesn't cost much to produce these days.

Saying that the rear windows on the 5dr Aygo, C1 and 107 don't wind down, they push out instead on a hinge. Just goes to show you €12k doesn't get you much in the way of a new car these days. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

drdre wrote:
    all plasticy and crap

I wouldn't pay much attention to what Top Gear say to be quite honest. As has been said, the Polo isn't really a comparible car, and I think VWs are over priced anyway.

Trotter, if the car isn't actually any good, there must be a load of other cars that fit the bill ? If you reckon you could fit into that car, maybe you could have a look at the Smart car?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I find it hard to believe that identical (bar name badges) cars, built with identical parts, on thesame assembly line in the same factory, will have different warranties.

In the UK the Citroen is cheaper, but here in happy cartel land all 3 cars are identically priced.

p.s. If anyone seriously suggests the Toyota badge will mean that the Aygo will have stonger residual values, I suggest you need to call your psychiatrist. It shouldn't and won't.

I find it hard to believe that identical (bar name badges) cars, built with identical parts, on thesame assembly line in the same factory, will have different warranties.

In the UK the Citroen is cheaper, but here in happy cartel land all 3 cars are identically priced.

p.s. If anyone seriously suggests the Toyota badge will mean that the Aygo will have stonger residual values, I suggest you need to call your psychiatrist. It shouldn't and won't.

Yes these cars are expensive.

But Peugeot and Citroen like most other main stream European manufactureres have only been offering a 2 year warranty on their cars up to now. I doubt it that they are going to offer 3 years on their entry level car if they are not offering it on the rest of the range.

Citroen main stream models such as the C4, C5, etc in general are priced a bit high to start with, they then introduce heavy discounting on them, i.e. they pay the VAT, etc. They do this big time in the UK also where they have a bigger market share than over here. This has a major impact on resale values of used models.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I reckon the Aygo will hold its value better than the other two

1) Toyota have done far more marketing that Peugeot or Citroen

2) Longer warranty

3) Better dealer network

4) VW Caddy vans always make better money than Seat Inca vans (even after taking original price difference into account) Even the diabolical looking ?VW Polo saloon made better money than its Seat Cordoba cousin. The same can be said of the Lupo/Arosa

People will pay more for a good brand, if this were not the case nobody would be buying the A3

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Yes Colm, but these were different vehicles, albeit sharing a lot of common parts. Built in different places, by different teams, with different qulaity standards.

These new cars are built one Toyota, one Peugeot, and one Citroen essentially. They are, bar the badge, identical.

It's hard to fathom how, if differential warranties exist, that Peugeot or Citroen could even hope to sell one at the same price. It's crazy. Perhaps trade in's are a factor? You'd prefer Toyotas etc.

I agree people will pay more for a good brand, but these cars are the same brand, the same builders, the same production line, with badge engineering being the only difference.

Marketing is irrelevant. They are the same.

Dealer network is irrelevant.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

bazz26 wrote:
    The Aygo is built at the same factory in the Czech Republic as the Peugeot 107 and Citroen C1.

correct, they are all built with the exact same toyota parts, right down to the dashboard!

All three cars share the same parts but the Toyota will have a 3 year warranty, the others will probably have only 2 years.

that is the only difference between the three cars.
    in fact, one reviewer said just go to the nearest garage to your house and buy whatever one they are selling. ;) the only difference between the three is the logo on the front...

I went for the 107 as the toyota garage tried to do me and I wasn't impressed with him.
    I only require the car to get me from celbridge to ballyfermot everyday, and for that, it will do the job quite nicely.
    I got €560 off, so it's worth trying

Both the Arosa and Lupo are built in Wolfsburg. The caddy and Inca were both built in spain.
    caddy-s.jpg
    SEAT%20Inca.jpg

More than a slight resemblance???

The Polo "Classic" saloon was a badge engineed version of the Cordoba, in the same way that the Polo Estate was a re badged Cordoba Vario.
    cordoba.jpg
    001.jpg

Beruthiel, Wouldn't it make sense to get 1 extra year of warranty cover thrown in, just in case something goes wrong? would be worth driving out of your way for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

Marketing is irrelevant. They are the same.

Dealer network is irrelevant.

Thats rubbish.. How come people are still buying VW Golf's when they could have a skoda for cheaper? Ditto, the Leon.. sure it's the same car isn't it..

I respectfully suggest you read the post and thread fully.

VW's, Seats, and Skoda's share a lot of common parts. They are built in diffrent sites, with different quality standards. They are "cousins" but are not the same.

These cars are identical triplets, but for a birthmark. They are, bar the T, C, or P badge, identical, and identically produced by the same people at the same plant.

So I stand by what I said, marketing and dealer network, in realtion to these cars, are irrelevant.

My original reference to the Seat Inca and VW Caddy was an example of how two vehicles built side by side in the same factory could have different resale values simply because of the badge on the front.

Fair enough, the cars should have identical reliability, but given that Toyota has a far bigger dealer network with a better reputation than Citroen or Peugeot, and the fact that the Toyota gives you 1 year longer warranty, why would you buy the 107 or C1?

Also, there are more differences other than badges, headlights, rear lights, and most outer body panels are different

Having more dealers doesn't mean they are 1 iota better. I'm not certain you can be objective in relation to reputation, since you work for a Toyota dealer.

The warranty thing is crazy, but advanatage Toyota if it's as described. How can anyone give a years longer warranty on a mechanically identical car? The error here is with Citroen and Peugeot, as they only offer 2 years on their other cars. They will have to discount to compensate I feel, and Toyotas advantage will be gone perhaps?

Visually they are at least very similar.....

Toyota%20Aygo.jpg

Citroen%20C1.jpg

peugeot_107_01_big.jpg

apart from Toyota having more dealers, they get higher CSI scores

There's not really any room to discount heavily as the margins on the cars are miniscule

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Of course the Aygo will hold its value better. Here on the Motors forum we know that the 3 cars are identical and built in the same factory. But your average Joe Public won't know that and will be blissfully ignorant of it. All he'll see is the Toyota badge. The badge alone will keep demand and 2nd hand values higher than those for the Citroen and Peugeot versions.

This is now making a bit more sense.

The market is a cartel. Prices are the same for all 3 cars. Toyota offers a 3rd year of warranty, and the others will have to discount or will get no "straight cash" sales. Trade ins could be "interesting".

Margins may be tight but no dealer is a charity presumably? :D

• Advertisement

BrianD3 wrote:
    Of course the Aygo will hold its value better. Here on the Motors forum we know that the 3 cars are identical and built in the same factory. But your average Joe Public won't know that and will be blissfully ignorant of it. All he'll see is the Toyota badge. The badge alone will keep demand and 2nd hand values higher than those for the Citroen and Peugeot versions.

Joe Public is a mug in that case.

Joe public may well be a mug!

Do you really think that an Audi A3 1.6 costs €7,000 more to build than a Golf 1.6?

No, but I've never bought either :D

One is seriously overpriced and poorly equipped, and the other one is the Audi;)

So it's generally acceptable for VAG to charge €30,000 for a 3 door hatchback, and €23,000 for another 3 door hatchback. but unfair for the Aygo to have a better resale value than the C1?

No it's not. Both are pricey, but the Audi is silly expensive. Some poor mugs still buy them presumably.

The Aygo and C1 are the same price however.....

(this could go on a bit do you reckon?)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭maidhc

Same thing goes for Tractors:

New Holland make CaseIH tractors, they both look the same, and are the same except for the colour and grille design.

The New Holland one will make better money s/h.

maidhc wrote:
    Same thing goes for Tractors:

New Holland make CaseIH tractors, they both look the same, and are the same except for the colour and grille design.

The New Holland one will make better money s/h.

Yeah, but blue tractors look so much better than red ones, and therefore should be more expensive!

Massy is classy, but Zetor is better :D

Zetor is very much the Skoda Octavia of tractors............

(following the rule that 2% of posts must contain the word "Octavia")

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote:
    Zetor is very much the Skoda Octavia of tractors............

(following the rule that 2% of posts must contain the word "Octavia")

I'll take your word for that :D

Advertisement