Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota Aygo

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

well, both Zetor and Skoda originated in Czeckeslovakia

• Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭maidhc

colm_mcm wrote:
    Zetor is very much the Skoda Octavia of tractors............

Mmmm, not really. They were never bought out by a big company to start with and repeated financial problems have plagued them since the 90's.

They have fine engines (which sadly couldnt be made Tier III compliant), but the brakes and hydraulic systems were poor. Always had fiddley things going wrong (think Citroen...) They lost their huge price advantage in recent years as well which meant they simply were not worth bothering with.

Apologies for taking this tread on a mild diversion (but I can assure people tractors are more interesting than Aygos!)

maidhc wrote:
    Apologies for taking this tread on a mild diversion (but I can assure people tractors are more interesting than Aygos!)

You might be right!

In fairness to Zetor they were fairly innovative, a neighbour of mine had a Zetor Crystal (decades ago) and it was miles ahead of anything else at the time. replaced with an Ursus 1014 (think they're related to Zetor as well)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Good God what have I started!! Stop attacking my Aygo buzz with TRACTORS! Big Bullies.

Now.. So the Aygo isnt actually a toyota. Hmm.
    BUT.. for the same price, same car, I get an extra year warranty and lets face it.. better resale value. Im thinking Aygo.

Then again, it'll be next year when I buy it, and it may be a second hand one I buy. (Hopefully with less than 5k on the clock).. so maybe I'll get nabbed for the high price of second hand Toyotas too.

I'd see the extra year warranty and good dealer cover as a confidence measure and to me thats worth money. If it stops in the middle of the road, I want to know that theres a garage nearby thats going to sort it quickly and for free if its under warranty still.

I could buy a year old Aygo and still have 2 years warranty! Thats a strong selling point for getting a second hand one.

Anyways.. from the car makers websites...
    Aygo Terra (Basic Model) € 11550
    Citroen C1 € 11,550
    Peugeot 107 € 11550

And its crazy.. Im just amazed that they are the exact same car.
    Still.. the Aygo wins on warranty and resale value.

And if all else fails... I can put blades under it and cut my grass! :D

you don't want the basic model though

no central locking, electric windows, colour coded handles, no side airbags.....

• Advertisement

Its £6,745 in the UK.. Thats roughly €9700 !!!

We're being robbed!!!!

VRT of €2800,
    If you're being robbed it's by the government.
    It's just as well they spend it all so wisely.......

colm_mcm wrote:
    VRT of €2800,
    If you're being robbed it's by the government.
    It's just as well they spend it all so wisely.......

Dont get me started..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Phone.Book

Just had a quick look on Parkers.co.uk and they all scored very well 4.5 stars out of 5 the Polo got 4 stars.

When I check the expected resale value of the 3 cars after 3 years the toyota held it value better than the other 2.

http://www.parkers.co.uk/pricing/specs/derivative.aspx?manu=&model=1381
    http://www.parkers.co.uk/pricing/specs/derivative.aspx?manu=&model=1402
    http://www.parkers.co.uk/pricing/specs/derivative.aspx?manu=&model=1397

If it were up to me I would go for the Aygo as I think when you do go to sale it more people would go for the Toyota. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 krt475

Donno what you guys are saying but all 3 cars are not entirely the same. The AYGO has a VVTi Engine in it (in fact there is not timing belt, but a Timing GEAR). The 107 and C1 to my knowlege are not equiped with VVTi.

Also I have read on a magazine (cannot remmeber which one off hand), that the AYGO shares the same Chassis, BUT since toyota was not entirly satisfied with the chassis, the whole chassis has been re-inforced under their supervision for the AGO model, 107 and C1 kept the original chassis, the down side is that the aygo is obviosly heavier that its sisters.

Maybe with the VVTi Engine and the re-inforced chassis, Toyota feel that the car is Up to their standards (unlike AYGO's Sisters) and therefor have awarded it a 3 year Warranty.

Even though it is a matter of opinions, the AYGO is to my standards the Beutifull one of the three sisters, having 2 ugly sisters in the famly. The interior is in fact all the same, yeah true.

Just drive the car and you notice the excellent build quality, no way would you compare a Toyota to a VW btw. I have owned VWs and other continental cars, but sorry to report., I hated all the lot. Very VERY un-reliable. Reaching engine parts in the engine bay is not just difficult but almost impossible (you frequently have to buy a special tool for everything in continental cars) , unlike Toyota cars, where all Toyotas I have ever worked on has a very simple and intiuative way of building their cars (also all Toyota cars I worked on were successfully worked upon with just a standard Screw driver set and spanners) and easily dismantled the parts needing replacment.

This helps in keeping all Maintanance and Repairs costs down. Having continental cars means paying an arm and a leg for minor repairs because most of the engine had to be dismantled because most parts were impossible to reach which in turn translated in awsome labour costs.

Well, keeping that in mind all the toyotas I have ever owned were pretty trouble free (having some of them last 15 years with all parts still original (except the odd battry change or Silensor repair)). The need for such Repairs was never that often and always costed me peanuts.

So yes, go ahead and get yourself a Toyota, it is well worth it.

Regards

Kurt
    Malta

• Advertisement

that's a load of rubbish about the engine and chassis. and though I like Toyotas, the interiors of VW's are top quality

colm_mcm wrote:
    that's a load of rubbish about the engine and chassis. and though I like Toyotas, the interiors of VW's are top quality

Really, find me anywhere where it is stated that the 107 or C1 is a VVTi engine.

Kurt

colm_mcm wrote:

BTW, I never insulted VW interiors, VW interior are obviosly better sorted out and more of a quality feel, but the story ends there. Did you know that the AYGO's Dash Surface has that un-usual patterned plastic (which I like btw), that material is UV Resistant.

My VW Golf's Dashboard simply cracked from all parts in the Maltese Sun. So as you might immagine, now the Dash of the GOLF is no pretty sight. So a UV Resistant material is a more than welcome addition to the car.

What I do not like in the car (must admit), even thought I have the full SPORT Version, the other doors (all doors except driver door) lack the Door 'Open' sensor, for the light to go on when a passenger comes in (therefor the light goes on only when driver enters the car). Instead in all the passengers doors, the sensor is blanked out with a piece of rubber. Also it only informes the driver to wear the safty belt. it ignores if any of the other occupants failed to wear the safety belt.

Quite disappointed that toyota have come to that extream to keep the car cheap to build.

regards

Kurt

the lack of light switches on the other doors is a bit unusual alright, considering how cheap they are. but lots of cars lack a passenger seatbelt reminder!

Another fault i have with them is the positioning of the electric window switches, you can't control the passenger window from the drivers side.
    If the switches were on the dash as in the mk2 punto it'd be better.

colm_mcm wrote:
    the lack of light switches on the other doors is a bit unusual alright, considering how cheap they are. but lots of cars lack a passenger seatbelt reminder!

Another fault i have with them is the positioning of the electric window switches, you can't control the passenger window from the drivers side.
    If the switches were on the dash as in the mk2 punto it'd be better.

Yeah, I totally forgot about that. i found myself a number of times stretching to open the passenger window with no passenger present. Why .. Oh.. Why???

take care

Kurt

seems a bit silly alright. I mean they splashed out in some areas of the car, stereo for example is quite good quality

colm_mcm wrote:
    seems a bit silly alright. I mean they splashed out in some areas of the car, stereo for example is quite good quality

Now honestly, wich of the three would you chose?

well, as an owner I am very impressed by the little car, I was at first attracted at the SMART, but 2 seats and that chain rattling noise that the gearbox does on the smart kept me looking for another car until I saw the first aygo. I was immediatly in love and bought one 1 week later. Still new, only 2 months old now, but I never regretted my choice. It is true I was not too impressed about the interior plastics (in fact I hated them (thought they were cheap looking)) and in fact I thought about it before I placed my order for the car. The fact remains, i needed a small car capable of giving me good economy, is reliable and is attractive to look at. That is why I bought the aygo, and I love the car as much as I love my MR2 and Rx7, which b4 seeing the aygo I thought I can never love anything as much as them. But I am now cruising around busy roads effortlessly and happyly in the aygo.

well.. that is my thought!.

gn now take care everyone

I'd go with the Aygo, simply cos it'll be worth more and the warranty's longer. They're all the same mechanically and priced similarly

colm_mcm wrote:
    I'd go with the Aygo, simply cos it'll be worth more and the warranty's longer. They're all the same mechanically and priced similarly

Please Please Please, prove me wrong, but do not tell me that mechanically thay are identicle. Identicle would mean all of them are VVT-i , but I No-where I found the VVT-i Words in either of the 107 and C1.

Not Trying to be a spoil sport or anything. Trust me, I would not mind being wrong about it, but on the other hand if anyone was to say that the 107 or C1 had a identicle engine, I would need proof to beleive it. Unless this proof is brought forward, i will remain curios all of my life!

So please someone, anyone. Give me proof!

thanks

Kurt

they are all VVT-i, but since this is a toyota trade mark, Peugeot or Citroen don't use it.

The C1 is a city car that can also be safely driven on major roads. Its engines are sufficiently powerful for this type of use.
    The modern engines and limited weight of the C1 ensure low fuel consumption.

From www.citroen.com

Zoom
    1.0i engine
    The C1 offers a choice of two engines, both satisfying the Euro IV standard:

• A 68 bhp 1.0i petrol engine, supplied by Toyota and mated with:
    - a 5-speed manual gearbox,
    - or a SensoDrive automated gearbox, also 5-speed.

This petrol engine is a new three-cylinder model (four valves per cylinder), offering one of the highest levels of fuel economy in its segment. It consumes just 4.6 l/km over a combined cycle. Its low CO2 emissions (109 g/km) also set it apart from the competition.

In terms of performance, this is a responsive engine, delivering a strong linear increase in speed. It develops 50 kW (68 bhp EEC) at 6,000 rpm and torque of 93 Nm at 3,600 rpm. This engine also features variable valve timing (VVT) to optimise filling of the combustion chambers at all engine speeds.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote:
    they are all VVT-i, but since this is a toyota trade mark, Peugeot or Citroen don't use it.

The C1 is a city car that can also be safely driven on major roads. Its engines are sufficiently powerful for this type of use.
    The modern engines and limited weight of the C1 ensure low fuel consumption.

From www.citroen.com

Zoom
    1.0i engine
    The C1 offers a choice of two engines, both satisfying the Euro IV standard:

• A 68 bhp 1.0i petrol engine, supplied by Toyota and mated with:
    - a 5-speed manual gearbox,
    - or a SensoDrive automated gearbox, also 5-speed.

This petrol engine is a new three-cylinder model (four valves per cylinder), offering one of the highest levels of fuel economy in its segment. It consumes just 4.6 l/km over a combined cycle. Its low CO2 emissions (109 g/km) also set it apart from the competition.

In terms of performance, this is a responsive engine, delivering a strong linear increase in speed. It develops 50 kW (68 bhp EEC) at 6,000 rpm and torque of 93 Nm at 3,600 rpm. This engine also features variable valve timing (VVT) to optimise filling of the combustion chambers at all engine speeds.

thanks for the info. I truly appreciate your time for looking this info up. So they all have toyota engines in them. Cool

they're all built in the same factory on the same production lines, using the same parts, except for the exterior panels and lights

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Actually I'm surprised Toyota, with it's huge resources, needed to become involved in a collaborative deal with Peugeot/Citroen (although the profits on micro-cars wouldn't be huge)

A mechanic I know who runs his own non-franchise garage (and has no biases) told me Toyota back-up/spare-parts investment was the best in the business.

By the way, in case someone thinks i'm a Toyota dealer - I had a Toyota once, it gave great service & had good dealer back-up when a problem did occur. Couldn't go for one again 'cos they're just TOO DULL!

Don't get me started on VW... Golf is cool but over-rated and over-priced. Polo (farmers' daughters' car), Jetta (poor-ish farmers' car) & Passat (rich farmers' car are just over-rated, over-priced and dog-ugly!

Toyota will still make money on the 107 and C1

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

krt475 wrote:
    . Instead in all the passengers doors, the sensor is blanked out with a piece of rubber. Also it only informes the driver to wear the safty belt. it ignores if any of the other occupants failed to wear the safety belt.

For the most part the drivers door will be opened at the sam etime as passengers, and if not, you'll be just picking someone up, no real need for a light. If all the seatbelts were connected to the warning light, it woudl only go off when you had a full car which would get annoying with a red light on your dash all the time. I very rarely have 4 passengers so I know it would annot the hell out of me.

Stekelly wrote:
    For the most part the drivers door will be opened at the sam etime as passengers, and if not, you'll be just picking someone up, no real need for a light. If all the seatbelts were connected to the warning light, it woudl only go off when you had a full car which would get annoying with a red light on your dash all the time. I very rarely have 4 passengers so I know it would annot the hell out of me.

Well, I owned a yaris before the aygo, and the passenger seatbelt light only went off when the passenger was present on the seat, this is because of a weight sensor present in the seat. When no weight was present on the seat the seatbelt warning wont light up.

Well, that has not bothered me as much as the pasenger doors sensors, as I have a number of times went to get something from the car and used the passenger door for easy access, and had to navigate in the dark due to the omission of this sensor. You might say why not switch on the light manually, true but have you ever tried to look for a switch in the dark expecially if your door wont open at full since your garage is too narow. more than an annoyience these missing things are note an annoyance, mearly a disappointment.

In Malta, our cars are quite expensive (too much tax on importation), the car costed me USD $15,750.00. So for that price i was disappointed I am now going to have to get use to something wich was acceptyed as standard in all my other cars.

But now I will stop being so negetaive about the car, I love everything else about it. i was pretty surprised Toyota ca,e up with such an attractive little car.

regards

Kurt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 dindindin

A friend of mine recently bought a c1 and says he prefers its styling over the aygo but said styling on the 107 he viewed was very similar - french.

When he viewed the aygo he was told by the sales man that the 3 door,non-metallic basic model aygo would cost 12300 euro.(107 was similar price but not launched yet)

When he went the citroen dealer he was told the c1 would cost him 11300(citroen pay the vrt) for the basic model but this was for the 5 door model with metalic paint as standard with 2 year warranty.

The toyota dealer told him that the five door model and metallic paint would be extra but he did offer him a 3 year warranty.

He bought the c1 - same car for alot less!!

Advertisement