Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blind persons pension Question about requirements

Options
  • 21-03-2006 1:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi all

I ahve a rare eye condition called stargoths (not too sure about spelling)
    A friend recently told me I might be eligible for this payment instead of my unemployment benefit

I was wondering if anyone on here could tell me the visual requirements to e eligible
    I have searched the web but cannot find anywhere
    any information would be grateful

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

From oasis.gov.ie

Here
    Rules

If you are blind or have a serious visual impairment prior to reaching 18 years, you should make your claim for this Pension 4 months before your 18th birthday. (If you are aged 16-18, you may qualify for Disability Allowance).

If you become blind or seriously visually impaired after your 18th birthday, you should apply as soon as the condition arises. This is important as payment can only be made from the date when your application is received. If you require full-time care and attention, the person looking after you may qualify for a Carer's Allowance or Carer's Benefit.

You can earn 120 euro per week from rehabilitative employment before these earnings affect your payment. If you have been receiving a Blind Person's Pension for at least 12 months, you may be eligible for the Back to Work Allowance

From June 2006, if you are in rehabilitative employment and have a weekly income above 120 euro and below 350 euro a week,a tapered 50% withdrawal rate will apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Bullee

hi

thanks m8 but I alreadu had gotten that

Its prob my fault I wasnt clear enough on what I was looking for ,sorry

What I am actually looking for is the level of visual impairty req to qualify for this pension
    I am unsure whether my vision is "low enough" if you know what I mean
    Im not sure of the actual level of my sight I do know that I am unable to get a driver license and always have been

any help grateful of course

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

You'll need to be diagnosed as clinically blind as far as I'm aware. Your best bet might be to contact the Department of Social Community and Family Affairs and clarify the details.

Advertisement