Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL vs Eircom

• 21-03-2006 1:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭

which one is better?
    i'm currently using eircom home plus and i think it's fine, but i would like to know if NTL is as good/better and if it is cheaper overall.
    can i get NTL without having to pay for a phone line that i don't use?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭cynos

NTL connects to your tv box on the wall
    My G/f has a 1mb line that costs €25 / month
    Its really fast for downloading and never one have i ever seen it down or slowing up.
    You dont need a phone line for it
    couldnt say that much for eircom LOL

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

There are lots of recent threads on pricing etc so have a quick look around but bear in mind that you have to take the cable tv service which if you are a new customer you can apparently get for free for the first year.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=51041591#post51041591

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

if money wasnt an issue id take my eircom connection back anyday over my ntl connection.

The eircom one was way more stable in terms of latency, the ntl connection fluctuates all the time.

Downloads are about the same though as is page browsing ( both were/are generally good ). For games though the eircom line was much better.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Since getting in NTL 3Mbit line, the speed has never gone below 2.8Mbits when testing it. I guess a lot of it depends on how good the signal is but I am sooooo much happier with paying €39.99 a month with no line rental (I was already paying for NTL analogue) for 3Mbits which will soon be upgraded to 6Mbits. No contest in my mind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Regardless, you need to remember that eircom have been screwing the broadband user and the market by doing everything they can to slow the influx of new competition and make the most of their competitive advantage for years.

If they had their way you'd only have one choice...

...and it wouldn't be cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Bastack

I have the NTL 1 Mb package and I am delighted with it. I have never had an issue with speed.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The eircom one was way more stable in terms of latency, the ntl connection fluctuates all the time.

I did notice sometimes that my NTL pings (from DOS) fluctuate with NTL, when they use to be solid on DSL. However strangely this never translated into any problems in games. Games pings are consistently lower then DSL and the game actually feels more responsive for me.

I suppose you could just be unlucky, every ISP will have customers who have problems, this includes Eircom, I've seen some people with awful latency problems on Eircom (mostly caused by bad quality line) most people seem very happy with NTL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭mrblack

Bastack wrote:
    I have the NTL 1 Mb package and I am delighted with it. I have never had an issue with speed.

Ditto

mrblack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

bk wrote:

I suppose you could just be unlucky, every ISP will have customers who have problems, this includes Eircom, I've seen some people with awful latency problems on Eircom (mostly caused by bad quality line) most people seem very happy with NTL.

very true... ive seen plenty of happy campers on here with NTL....
    ive seen a lot more critiscing them lately though, once upon a time on here the only complaint was not being able to get it

the only thing i didnt like about eircom was the price - product was great for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

julep wrote:
    which one is better?
    i'm currently using eircom home plus and i think it's fine, but i would like to know if NTL is as good/better and if it is cheaper overall.
    can i get NTL without having to pay for a phone line that i don't use?

no phone line and you can get a phone number over your broadband with VOIP without line rental.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

thanks.
    i can't actually get NTL at the moment. they're a bit slow getting it out my direction, but i've already gotten rid of eircom. it was costing me too much and i'm poor at the moment. the line rental thing pissed me off. i had no problem at all with the broadband service itself though.
    i've been told by an NTL rep that it will be available to me in a few months (already use their digital tv service). no broadband for me for the next few months though.
    as for the gaming side of things. i'm not much of a gamer. Zelda on the N64 is pretty much as far as i go.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

julep wrote:
    i've been told by an NTL rep that it will be available to me in a few months (already use their digital tv service). no broadband for me for the next few months though.

Ehm, you could be waiting longer :(

The reps typically have no idea when BB will be rolled out and they typically tell people just a few months when it can actually be anywhere from one week to never.

Sorry, you could always try Smart Telecom, they are good value for money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Well if someone actually HAS digital cable (not Digital MMDS), it is likely that they will get BB availability soon. Esp. with these new owners of Chorus/NTL Ireland determined to sort everything out.

Advertisement