Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from UL forum.

Options
  • 21-03-2006 2:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭

Alright, this one really takes the biscuit.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054904865

I was only stating my opinion because I knew that people on the forum didn't represent anything resembling the consensus. I was entiteld to my point. It was not inflammatory in any shape or form past being a little overzealous, which is, again, purely down to frustrating with the other people on the forum being so in love with their college they can't see how little there is for many of the other students.

This is purely censorship of opinion and it disgusts me a great deal.

Yes, I know the board is "privately owned", but does that make it right? No. Being banned from my College's forum because I didn't agree with people is ridiculous and immature.

In my opinion, Nukem is very arrogant, smug and completely incapable as a moderator, and I have no idea why he moderates the number of forums he does(Well, actually I do, but I'm not going to share my opinions on this, for fear of being banned from somewhere else).

This is absolutely ridiculous and I'm really going to chase this one as I don't take well to perfectly innocent and potentially helpful opinions being censored. Though this is worse than that - the post wasn't deleted, but it was made a point of that I was banned, making my opinion more than worthless.

This is a sensitive issue because it involves a college and I do not think it would be pleasant if it ended up in real life conflict(though this is pretty unlikely, it's still possible, and I despise being near people like that). Please reconsider this Charlatan's decision.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

PM. The. Mod. Seriously, its the best way to get an answer.

Meanwhile, please indulge yourself in amp's SAQ, which you will find stuck to the top of the Feedback forum listing.
    Nukem wrote:
    Yes - 3 strikes and iv turned a blind eye to a few things but enough is enough im afraid.
    He'll know better than I, but its sounds like you had it coming.

Besides, a lot of your post, while it may have been opinion (in which case, a little anger management wouldn't go amiss), but frankly a lot of it smelled of a troll on fire.
    It's very hard to meet new people who share your interests, though that could be because the people here aren't terribly interesting. Nobody really stands out in a crowd either.

Limerick's a scammy place in general. Try going down to Cork, or maybe up to Galway, which ever is nearest.
    Mislaid our copy of "How to Win Friends and Influence People", have we?
    people feel such a need to defend their college that they don't try to see how other people might hate it. You won't find a lot of people here that will say that, but it's not representitive of the general consesus.
    Perhaps a little constructive criticism might wash better than blanket insults.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

If I thought that the ban was based solely on that one thread, I'd agree that it was somewhat unfair. However, I suspect it's your track record for starting arguements that provoked another ban. I'd urge people to view more of Rozie's posts before contributing an opinion.
    I've been on the wrong side of Nukem and I'd have to say that he's very tough, but also very fair.
    As you put it: "the people here aren't terribly interesting". So, why do you care that you're banned?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Rozie, you really are not reacting to this in the right way. The language of your two posts is so hostile that you are going to get people's backs up. There is absolutely no need to always be on the attack. You are entitled to have your own opinion on UL, Limerick etc, but you should try and phrase it in such a way that it doesn't come across with so much hostility. That is not good on any forum for any topic.

I agreed with your ban being a tad harsh until I read your post above. Really. You are really going to have to learn to be more civil on here if you want to avoid being banned like the above. If you constantly attack people and turn things into personal crusades you are going to get nowhere. I

Just taking a moment to re-read your post and phrase things in such a way that they are not going to automatically put people's backs up can make all the difference in the world. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Your opinion still stands - would never deny anyone their right to an opinion.
    Rozie wrote:
    This is purely censorship of opinion and it disgusts me a great deal.
    Didnt censor a thing in the post - your opinion still stands
    Rozie wrote:
    In my opinion, Nukem is very arrogant, smug and completely incapable as a moderator
    You have the right to your opinion again
    Rozie wrote:
    Charlatan
    Nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Dear Rozie. You're an abusive, condescending know-it-all with a persecution complex. Reap what you sow. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

Nukem wrote:
    Your opinion still stands - would never deny anyone their right to an opinion.
    Didnt censor a thing in the post - your opinion still stands
    You have the right to your opinion again
    Nice

Oh yeah - it's okay that you banned me as long as you didn't touch my post. Please. It's these kind of insults to my intelligence that cause me to take this tone in the first place. I only show as much respect as I'm given.

I didn't have the right to an opinion anymore than someone has the right to rob a bank - you can only get arrested retrospectively. Not only did you did you make my "Opinion" look less than worthless, you also removed any chance of me expressing it in future. What you did is worse than censorship, it's Orwellian.

You acted as a terrible moderator. That isn't an opinion, it's a fact. Decent moderators solve problems without resorting to banning every time, and leave well enough alone.

All you did was cause more conflict. I'm tired of people being absolved from their actions purely because they're moderators, or they take on a pretentiously calm tone.

I was treated with a complete lack of respect and dignity. This wasn't a "once off thing", but Nukem's tomfoolery wasn't a "Once off thing" either. I put up with ridiculous suspensions before. "Last straws" don't count when all the other straws were Strawman.

This isn't how people used to work out their problems online. If it seems like I have a "persecution complex" it's because I was tired of the arrogant, illogical way in which particular aspects of this board work the moment they struck me in the face. I'd sure as hell want the staff to be presitigous if I had such a big board.

This could have been resolved with ease simply by the moderator in question leaving well enough alone. I'm only reacting to his decision, with as much respect as he gave me. Moderators should be just as liable as members for their actions.

I mean seriously, I remember when Karl Hungus started editting my posts in one of his forms for no reason. That's a complete blatant abuse of power and it was extremely annoying.

Please, please set your standards a little higher for moderators, and get over the "lol immature rebel whiners suck" attitude that's blatantly prelevant from Amp's topic in this forum. This attitude has it's roots in online Asshole Culture that started in wannabe-gangsta gaming websites and spread like the dickens, because it's easier to be an asshole than a decent person, and it's a free pass for moderators to do as they wish.
    I know this because I sat through that mess and that's why I'm so damn bitter, as some people on this forum are the worst offenders. This is one of the biggest forums online, I'm not getting into this arguemnt again, but you are representing Ireland online, and snooty mods only encourage snooty members. There isn't another active UL forum, and there isn't an Irish forum offering the same range of forums. Someone here needs to listen to Spider-man and his lesson on Power and Responsibility. Privately owned-forum means nothing in the grand scheme of things. That's just a system in place, like any other, and can be right or wrong. In this particular case, it was wrong.

I show an amazing amount of respect if I'm shown it back. I'm not all negative, it works two ways. But I feel I have as of yet to be treated with anything near an acceptable level of respect by people like Nukem. I've just seen this kind of crap happen too many times to other people, and myself, and it's difficult not to point out every single little reason why it's so wrong.

i.e. if this is sorted out and doesn't happen again I'll shut up about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

I'm sorry but did you not get the hint to tone things down the first two times you were banned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Dear Rozie. You're an abusive, condescending know-it-all with a persecution complex. Reap what you sow. :)

I agree, as a matter of fact I think that Rozie is one of the biggest attention whores on boards.ie.
    However, I think it's ludricris that s/he gets banned for what she said in that post. If that's the way s/he feels about UL then why is s/he getting banned for saying so?

Fight the powh

BigCon wrote:
    I agree, as a matter of fact I think that Rozie is one of the biggest attention whores on boards.ie.
    However, I think it's ludricris that s/he gets banned for what she said in that post. If that's the way s/he feels about UL then why is s/he getting banned for saying so?

Fight the powh

Quite frankly, I don't think it's anything to do with that post in particular, just that people around here are getting fed up of Rozie's constant abusive demeanour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Quite frankly, I don't think it's anything to do with that post in particular, just that people around here are getting fed up of Rozie's constant abusive demeanour.

Fair enough I suppose, I just think it would be better if someone was banned for a particular post that could be "exhibited" in evidence rather that a general "fed up ness" for banning someone...

• Advertisement

Translation: This person behaves different to other people, therefore I don't like them, therefore I pull reasons out of my ass to ban them.

Honestly.

Rozie wrote:
    Translation: This person behaves different to other people, therefore I don't like them, therefore I pull reasons out of my ass to ban them.

Honestly.

I have never banned you from any forum I moderate. I have never had any reason, and I certainly did make any up, or "Pull reasons out of my ass" as you so eloquently put it.

You are a very abusive character, and frankly, you should either take a hint to calm down on the seething vitriol you like to spread around, or continue to be banned for the abuse you shell out almost constantly.

I have never banned you from any forum I moderate. I have never had any reason, and I certainly did make any up, or "Pull reasons out of my ass" as you so eloquently put it.

You are a very abusive character, and frankly, you should either take a hint to calm down on the seething vitriol you like to spread around, or continue to be banned for the abuse you shell out almost constantly.

I never said or implied you did.

Rozie wrote:
    I never said or implied you did.

Well then why exactly did you directly quote me and offer your translation about me pulling reasons out of my ass to ban you?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Rozie,

I mean no disrespect when I say that you should take a break from posting, start reading your own posts and see what the problem is here. Your posts come across as abrasive, you're constantly on the attack, people react to that. You can keep going in circles and coming back and getting upset that people aren't being nice to you, or you can stop, realise the pattern, and stop it, because you're doing it to yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Rozie wrote:
    Translation: This person behaves different to other people, therefore I don't like them,

Hi Rozie

Different is not the problem, short, sharp posts that do not contribute to the community of any section of boards.ie is the problem.

You have certainly clashed with the mod of UL forum.

But mods have a job to do and if you just can't stick to the rules of the forum
    the mod is with in thier remit to ban you.

Wishing you well.
    Thaedyal

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Rozie wrote:
    This bloke walked into my local recently, muttering something about "bloody peasants". He kicked a stool out of his way, spat on the counter and shouted abuse at the barmaid.

Nobody liked him. Not because he "behaved different" to them, but because of his general demeanour and attitude.

He didn't get served, and can't seem to understand why.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

If im wrong fair be it, but i retire as the UL mod in May and would like to think i did a fair enough job getting on with people in UL but an admin thinks im wrong for putting up with this crap fine il call it a day now and re-instate Rozie.

Nukem

• Registered Users Posts: 40,162 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Nukem wrote:
    If im wrong fair be it, but i retire as the UL mod in May and would like to think i did a fair enough job getting on with people in UL but an admin thinks im wrong for putting up with this crap fine il call it a day now and re-instate Rozie.

Nukem

On reading that thread alone, you have banned the person for their opinion. But for a person who hates the university so much, you have to ask why they bother posting in an online forum dedicated to it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Rozie wrote:
    I was only stating my opinion because I knew that people on the forum didn't represent anything resembling the consensus.

Yes you did but as people have said your posts come across as highly abrasive at times.
    Rozie wrote:
    In my opinion, Nukem is very arrogant, smug and completely incapable as a moderator, and I have no idea why he moderates the number of forums he does(Well, actually I do, but I'm not going to share my opinions on this, for fear of being banned from somewhere else).

I happen to know Nukem and he is nothing of the sort.
    Rozie wrote:
    This is absolutely ridiculous and I'm really going to chase this one as I don't take well to perfectly innocent and potentially helpful opinions being censored. Though this is worse than that - the post wasn't deleted, but it was made a point of that I was banned, making my opinion more than worthless.

You complained last time you were banned that Nukem had edited your post and accused him of Orwellian censorship. Now he has left your post and opinion in this case and you still complain.

I for one have always being perfectly civil to you on the forum and I'll continue to be civil. You on the other hand have been very uncivil at times which has lead to you being banned. Nukem has acted within his remit and you had been warned numerous times.

Cheers
    Rory

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Personally I think you've been too tolerant so far Nukem. I would have banned long ago.
    The problem rosie has is that he's not interested in a two way conversation much rather talking at people than to them.
    Its one thing to offer a negative views of something and provide a criticism of it in an intelligent (and detached manner), but he doesn’t do that.
    All we get are rants and tantrums which focus around how things are so bad for him while offering no attempt to rectify the problems as he sees them.

Woe is me my life is so awful… ad nauseam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

BigCon wrote:
    Fair enough I suppose, I just think it would be better if someone was banned for a particular post that could be "exhibited" in evidence rather that a general "fed up ness" for banning someone...
    It would be better in terms of making this thread a no-brainer (user makes totally outrageous post, moderator bans them, everyone can see instantly how the call was made).

The thing about such totally out of order posts is that they show clearly that the attitude of the poster is such that one cannot expect more constructive behaviour from then on. Removing someone from a forum permanently is much more a matter of long-term behaviour than short-term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

*sighs*

Shame to see ya go Derm but I suppose Real Life™ has to come first :)I'd take over ;) :v:

Christ Rozie, you've been warned more than enough occasions to tone down the attitude towards UL yet you failed to.

I agree that on the basis of the thread you were banned for it may have been harsh but from a mod pov, it was enough.

Iirc, the only time you didn't cry foul about the forum was when you wanted something ie. project help.

I think everybody here is aware of your more than well documented personal issues but ffs, do you think it would be any easier in another college?

Do you think posting the same crap on UCD || TCD et al fora would be alright?
    just that people around here are getting fed up of Rozie's constant abusive demeanour.

Bout sums it up really.

Think about it Rozie.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Rozie's unhappy. It must be a day ending with y.

Personally I think you've been too tolerant so far Nukem. I would have banned long ago.
    The problem rosie has is that he's not interested in a two way conversation much rather talking at people than to them.
    Its one thing to offer a negative views of something and provide a criticism of it in an intelligent (and detached manner), but he doesn’t do that.
    All we get are rants and tantrums which focus around how things are so bad for him while offering no attempt to rectify the problems as he sees them.

Woe is me my life is so awful… ad nauseam

I' remember you "at work" in the LGBT(and other) threads and you're one to talk. You're one of the most horrible people on this board by far.

And don't call me "he".

And by the way, the LGB-not-T forum is still a joke here. I'm going to contact the LGBT Alliance or whatever it is we have in this little island about that as again, it's very representitive of LGBT in Ireland. It's ridiculous that gay and lesbians are protected and nobody can question them, but half the board just wanderring in can take potshots at transgenders all they like. And of course, I get in trouble. This is mostly why I find it hard to take any of the moderators/admins here seriously as good people.

I'm getting really sick of people saying Nukem was within his "remit". Yeah, he has a big shiny ban button that's probably also connected to the erectile function of his penis. That doesn't mean what he does is in any way fair. Might does not make right, and regardless of how many "warnings" I was given, I was only expressing my opinion.

Might makes right is not a logical argument and nobody has, as of yet, provided a logical argument for my banning. There's nothing more people love than a scapegoat of a badguy getting their "Due", so there will nearly always be more people for a ban than against it, but even in this case, it seems it's at worst about even. That should tell you something.

Most of the "warnings" were for trivial or asinine things, or do to Nukem taking sides against me in an argument. If you want to see a real troll, I suggest you take a look at Rev. Hellfire and some of his posts against me in the LGBT forum.

Maybe I haven't been the nicest person, but that's only a direct result of how I've been treated. The attitudes of people on this forum are often horrific and pretentious, with the typical Alpha Male(Even the girls) "Anti-Emo" attitude, Rev Hellfire being again a fine example of this. There's nothing wrong with whining if it's for a good reason, and I believe this is one. Why the hell does nobody remember that being an asshole is much worse than being a whiner? Assholes are only funny if they're intelligent, which most people online are clearly not.

People need to stop pointing out the obvious, yeah I know Nukem can ban me, that's rather a "Duh" moment considering it did. That doesn't make it right or fair by any stretch of the imagination. Being protected by the rules is an entirely circular argument as the rules have to be called into question too, except not in this case, since I didn't even break them, or even technically disobey a moderator, as he entirely pulled a reason out of his ass to get rid of me. He had ridiculous reasons for banning/suspending me the last time. "Just because you have an opinion doesn't makle it right"?!?! YOU DON'T SAY! Not to mention that he was in blatant denial of things that WERE facts, such as societies failing, that I was not allowed to comment on. It's ridiculous that people can't say anything negative about UL. Only by pointing out the negativity can it be truly erradicated. Being enitrely positive will add new things but it won't fix existing ones, which are the most important.

If you're so worried about the Image of UL, you've just made it out to be a place full of suck-up losers who don't tolerate anyone who doesn't like the current "System" in place. Now that I think about it more, you did more harm for the image of UL than I could have ever managed. But it's still censorship taken to the extreme since you're "filterring out" my views by banning me. I post on the UL forum as I am in the UL whether I like it or not and there are some things I need to post about, the lack of ability to do so will now hinder my already difficult progress in my course. Also, as an example of how a form can take as well as give "for free", I was cranky all last night and this morning which made it impossible to concentrate on anything.

Unless moderators start caring about the people on the board and not their powers, the system will start to slip downhill eventually. I've never made a wrong prediction on a forum dying thus far. This board is obviously far too big to ever degrade entirely, but as time goes on there will be more bans, more power trippers, and more trolls, until it becomes just as bad as every other board of it's size. People should stop paying attention to how pissed off I am as that's only my reaction and obviously I'd much rather find another way to do it, maybe if I wasn't so excluded I wouldn't have such terrible communication skills, and start paying attention to what I'm saying.

BuffyBot wrote:
    Rozie's unhappy. It must be a day ending with y.

Oh look, an annoying smug person on boards.ie.

You see something old everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Rozie.

tirelessrebutter.jpg

Rozie wrote:
    Oh look, an annoying smug person on boards.ie.

You see something old everyday.
    Wait!Are you a man or a woman?I'm confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I' remember you "at work"...and start paying attention to what I'm saying.

Post of the year....probably not in the way you think though...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Rozie wrote:
    Maybe I haven't been the nicest person, but that's only a direct result of how I've been treated. The attitudes of people on this forum are often horrific and pretentious, with the typical Alpha Male(Even the girls)

you know rozie
    there's a saying that goes, 'if 7 people tell you that you're sick, you should probably lie down for a while'

the whole of boards isn't out to get you, but you seem to think they are.
    Perhaps if you took a little time to step back, look at yourself and how you interact with others, a light might come on in your head.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement