Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from UL forum.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Rozie wrote:
    Nukem has not been civil to me.

hello pot, kettle on line two!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Rozie wrote:
    You know, I think that we ought to actually solve problems without banning people, like the internet used to do when it wasn't quite as much so a steaming pile of cack. But that's just a ridiculous notion, actually doing things that might end up fair for everyone. Might makes right!

hey, if you dont like it, you can always fúck off somewhere else to be a an angsty wánk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Rozie wrote:
    Yeah, UCC, I have more friends down there than I have up here. Probably anywhere in Galway or Dublin. Anywhere that's not as "small town" as Limerick.

There you go again bashing Limerick. Was there really any need for the "small town" comment?

Why not transfer to Computer Science in UCC and finish 4th year there?
    It might make you happier. You could use the UCC board then and there would be no problems it seems.

I'm not telling you to go, merely suggesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

UCC is a lovely college. Might not be a bad idea.
    Rozie wrote:
    You know, I think that we ought to actually solve problems without banning people, except in extreme cases, like the internet used to do when it wasn't quite as much so a steaming pile of cack. But that's just a ridiculous notion, actually doing things that might end up fair for everyone. Might makes right!

Except that wouldn't work. The internet was a lot smaller in the old days, with a mainly academic userbase who probably behaved themselves because they didn't want their professors finding out what they were up to. It didn't last that way for long, I find all but the most strictly moderated of newsgroups (you should be very familiar with Usenet, internet veteran that you are) are complete trash these days.

Wikipedia started out with lofty ideals, but even it has to ban people and some topics are moderated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Rozie wrote:
    Quite right. They would have been much better if I had gotten to give sme ideas. Too bad they got ****ing deleted, or i got banned, before I was given a chance to reply with my own ideas. Every time.

Constructive depends on how you look at it. I wasn't trying to attack people in most of my topics, that came later.

Yes and you were unbanned and waded right back into an argument by attacking Nukem.
    Rozie wrote:
    Nukem has not been civil to me. Just because he hasn't lashed out angrily does not mean he has been "civil" and I suggest you read up on various social definitions. He has been positively abhorrent.

As far as I'm concerned he has, you've been the one showing a lack of civility. I'm perfectly aware of what being civil involves thank you very much and in my book it doesn't involve personal abuse to the level you've taken it to.
    Rozie wrote:
    After he called me a ****ing "he" on purpose after I told him not to. How can you even say that with a straight face!? Are you *trying* to make it look blatant you're just sucking up to him?

I don't think so I'd be the last person to suck up to anyone as people who know me will tell you.
    Rozie wrote:
    I don't recall ever asking for anything on a plate, just pointing out things that need to be change. People have a habit of using strawman arguments in scenarios like this.

So why no helpful suggestions on the UL forum other than constant berating of the college. You were given an opurtunity to do this and you came right back in arguing.
    Rozie wrote:
    I wasn't attacking you, I liked you quite a lot. Now after seeing some of the things you've said here I'm not so sure.

I'm still willing to be helpful if asked in a reasonable manner. What I don't like is personal abuse toward my friends. I realise that you weren't attacking me but there are valid reasons as to why you were banned as stated previously.
    Rozie wrote:
    Because that was right after I got warned/banned for something ridiculous. Why would I want to face people I percieved as a bunch of inept loosers who had it in for people who didn't like their college?

Again more abuse "inept loosers". A lot of the people who post on the UL forum are friends of mine. We don't have it in for anybody unless we're given good reason. Nukems invitation was genuine as was all the help I've provided before when asked by you.

Cheers
    Rory

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Stark wrote:
    . Perhaps you should contact your local LGBT rep, your student welfare officer or a professional counsellor.

I'm quite sure the UL LGBTRO or equivalent has long since fled the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I'm just giving the gatherings a stretchie at this stage... ROZIE! TAKE TEH HINTORZ!

muppet.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

kaimera wrote:
    There you go again bashing Limerick. Was there really any need for the "small town" comment?

Why not transfer to Computer Science in UCC and finish 4th year there?
    It might make you happier. You could use the UCC board then and there would be no problems it seems.

I'm not telling you to go, merely suggesting.

Can I seriously do that? I think I already have a deposit for Drumroe though. That would be great and solve the problem of me being banned too, since I wouldn't have to care.

For rosie this thread is a great result. This is exactly what he wants, lots of attention directed towards him.

As irritating as Rozie is, at least use the correct pronoun, please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Rozie wrote:
    Can I seriously do that? I think I already have a deposit for Drumroe though. That would be great and solve the problem of me being banned too, since I wouldn't have to care.

Talk to the head of your course wrt to leaving the course and whoever your advisor is.

I'm sure there's someone on here that can give you more info on transferring.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

rsynnott wrote:
    As irritating as Rozie is, at least use the correct pronoun, please.

Yeah there's a reason I'm so irritating :P

Eh? I have no desire to be a mod, you strange person, though I believe you are a defrocked one; bitter, perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

Rozie wrote:
    Yeah there's a reason I'm so irritating :P

What would that be, precisely? I can see why you're annoyed with Rev Hellfire and similar, but why take it out on everyone? You seem to be terribly, terribly angry about the stupidity of a few people...

Because I have to live here, with people like that, and it drives me insane.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Rozie wrote:

So go. Stop being opressed by being forced to live somewhere, demand it as your right to live somewhere else ( may I suggest Alaska?) and go.

But for heaven's sake, stop opressing us,, being prejudiced against us, and telling us to change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

such is life Rozie!!

many people annoy me/drive me insane too..but you dont see me posting idiotic posts about them here!

get over it.

Rozie wrote:

To be honest, people who deliberately refer to you as 'he' just to annoy you are (a) very rude, (b) a bit thick, and (c) absolutely not worth getting worked up over. The best thing to do is to ignore them. You'll find stupid people everywhere; neither Boards, UL or even Ireland hold the patent.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I'm going to do you a massive favour and temporarily ignore the side-swipes and directly abusive comments you appear to insist on continuing with and merely address one single point for now
    Rozie wrote:
    A big argument happened maybe once a month, or every two weeks. That's something most forums should get anyway
    No it isn't. Not in this universe.

There's no compunction on everyone to agree, there are plenty of forums here (I'll cite politics and humanities as two but I could add in quite a few others) where the entire point of the existence of the forums is to foster discussion which obviously includes differing points of view. This is different from what you're referring to though and a "big argument" doesn't tend to be a good thing, let alone a desirable thing as you appear to have said and even less so a regularly desirable thing.

Now, if you're not implying that it's a desirable thing and using "should" as "expected" rather than "desirable" that's a slightly different thing. However if you will insist on being the eye of the storm in pretty much every "big argument" (your words, not mine, remember) that erupts (my words, not yours) on a particular forum, and from my examination of the forum this is basically the case, then you could do worse than to examine your role in those particular arguments. Not to read into the arguments existing and project some persecution out of it as what so obviously must be the real cause of the hoo-hah, not to assume that because you are what you are that someone's got it in for you and certainly not to assume that because you are who you are that everyone's got it in for you.

The Internet's older than me but I've been using it in one form or another for a reasonably long time; I can guarantee it's longer than you've been using it, despite the nostalgia you express for when the Internet was less full of crap and I can also guarantee there aren't all that many people I've seen there that appear to me to do so much so often to come across as Internet-angry as you do. You've accused the mod who banned you of being abusive. I've seen no evidence of this as you haven't bothered providing any. I've seen at least one example of the torrent of verbal diarrhea you chose to send that particular mod by PM though. I'm sure in your universe you felt entirely justified in sending what you sent. Welcome to my universe. In that one there can't be any justification for sending something like that and I've site-banned people for less, as have the admins. And that's, as I said at the top of this post, ignoring the directly abusive comments that have been tossed into this thread.

Now as someone who told someone else off in this thread above for, as far as you were concerned, adding nothing new, I'd like you to do this thread a favour. If you're going to address anything at all in what I've said, make it new. Otherwise you're wasting everyone's time. And stop calling your classmates "inept loosers". Especially while you're making a rather big issue of trying to post on the same web board as them. I'd say that given that at least two of them appear to be still willing to be helpful, albeit on the Internet that's currently full of crud, despite getting inept abuse for being who they are, that you should be pretty goddamned thankful for it rather than part-blaming them for whatever you blame Irish society for. I'd say they're pretty helpful for "inept loosers" and you could do worse than to stop painting with a brush as wide as a house, as you've pointed out yourself that you don't know many of them all that well.

Finally, if you see something somewhere on this site that you perceive as abuse, that's what the report button is for. If you think throwing massive amounts of abuse in the path of people who occasionally use the internet for (for want of a better word) fun is the way to deal with that then you're solidly wrong. Take that one home as I don't want to need to remind you of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

emotwords0va.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Rozie, I'm confused about one thing, you say Limerick has a small town attitude towards you, and yes most Limerick-people probably do. However, you also seem to think the users boards.ie have a small minded attitude to you, which, in fairness, some probably do. Now the Limerick region has a population of somewhere between 80-100,000 and boards.ie is a pretty popular site, so what makes you think cities like Galway or Cork will be ultimately more welcoming? A city is fine to visit and get on great there for a weekend, but living there presents different problems, and I'd be surprised if you're current problems with UL/Limerick weren't replicated elsewhere in the country, though perhaps I'm being unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Giblet wrote:
    emotwords0va.gif
    Score one for Giblet for finding a smilie that knows Hamlet (act 2, scene 2) (I did Lear)

Rozie, I'm confused about one thing, you say Limerick has a small town attitude towards you, and yes most Limerick-people probably do. However, you also seem to think the users boards.ie have a small minded attitude to you, which, in fairness, some probably do. Now the Limerick region has a population of somewhere between 80-100,000 and boards.ie is a pretty popular site, so what makes you think cities like Galway or Cork will be ultimately more welcoming? A city is fine to visit and get on great there for a weekend, but living there presents different problems, and I'd be surprised if you're current problems with UL/Limerick weren't replicated elsewhere in the country, though perhaps I'm being unfair.

Well, there are transgender groups in Dublin, and I think also Cork, and both UCC and NUIG have well-organised LGBTsocs, so that aspect might be a bit better. (I'm not giving out about UL's LGB(T) here; I just don't know anything about it).

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I've no desire to read this thread. Can I lock it yet?

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Nobody's going to say it more eloquently than sceptre has, though I think I can be more succint:

The Internet is not serious business.

Edit: seamus, not yet, it's actually less abusive than I predicted :V

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I think that we ought to actually solve problems without banning people, except in extreme cases

That's a really nice sentiment, one which any community moderator/manager/admin would love to be able to share. Unfortunately it doesn't work on the real Planet Earth most of the times. Especially when dealing with argumentative, insulting, beligerent, paranoid, attention seeking drama queen posters, amongst others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

and now for something completely different....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

TimAy wrote:
    and now for something completely different....
    ya i agree...can it be locked already..he already has another hate thread going on over in AH, i think 2 threads is to much for him to handle/keep on top of..

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

sceptre wrote:
    Oh man. Oh boy. Oh dear.

Every so often (and indeed, more often than not), this gem of an online persona posts something that brings a tear of joy to mine e'e.

Regularly, he posts something that makes me put down this laptop (damn its infernal weight and Centrino-induced lap-overheat) and walk around the kitchen for sheer appreciation of true eloquence.

And, just once in a while, he makes me wish I was sober enough to drive to Limerick, track his ass down, hug him hard (but briefly, and in a strictly macho way) and say: dude, you're one of a small number of reasons I can't get enough of boards.ie.

Sceptre, me oul mucker: you owe so much to the automotive-suppressing characteristics of Smithwicks.

(FtL: "Listen to this righteous dude.")

(ZOMG, did I just do a FTL??)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement