Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If I want a f****** newspaper I will take one

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

I know what you mean, from the minute I step off the bus on Dame St. in the morning and walk all the way to the Luas in Stephens Green I get about 12 papers shoved in my face, fùcking annoying!

Nearly as bad as them bloody chuggers, the last thing I was is to be hassled first thing in the morning by somebody giving out a paper.

Even if the papers were halfway decent I would appreciate it, as it is they are filled with ads and columns worthy of the weekly world news!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

It's a bloody free newspaper, stop whining... Just don't take one if you don't want it. I like them, cos they're free, and they keep me occupied on the bus. Hazaa!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

they are not _free_

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

they are not _free_
    They fcuking are. Stop being a ninny and open your eyes. And don't be dazzling me with all the indirect payments we're making.
    Man gives Pighead object + Pighead doesnt pay for it = FREE
    lostexpectation post + Pighead reading said post=:mad:
    :mad: /:( =:confused:

they are not _free_
    They fcuking are. Stop being a ninny and open your eyes. And don't be dazzling me with all the indirect payments we're making.
    Man gives Pighead object + Pighead doesnt pay for it = FREE
    lostexpectation post + Pighead reading said post=:mad:
    :mad: /:( =:confused:
    QED

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Lindaloo

DaveMcG wrote:
    It's a bloody free newspaper, stop whining... Just don't take one if you don't want it. I like them, cos they're free, and they keep me occupied on the bus. Hazaa!

I'm the same Dave, I just say 'no thanks' or 'i already have one' (and every time I pat my bag for confirmation just in case they don't believe me, sap like me!) and keep walking. Fair enough, there are loads of them about but you just say no thanks or if you have to you just ignore them.

I've noticed a lot of people too take them and don't even say thanks, that annoys me more than the paper pushers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

I don't have a problem with being offered a free newspaper. Even take them sometimes if the guy/girl handing them out is nice about it (don't read them [would find better journalism in a Peter and Jane reader from Junior Infants] but makes their job a bit quicker).... or if it's a particularly cold/wet morning..

It's when you say "no thanks", they "offer" it again, you say no again, they run around to the front of you and "offer" it again, you try to walk off, and they either give you the stare of death for not taking their paper or hurl the paper at you that it starts to bug me. I didn't take it one day and the woman gave me a kinda look that said "YOU BASTARD! MY FAMILY WILL STARVE BECAUSE OF YOU! HOW DARE YOU NOT TAKE MY FREE METRO!!!".... it wasn't even a cold/wet morning ffs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭The Yipper

7.00am: BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
    7.47am: I arrive at Sandymount dart station...
    7.55am: I board the dart...I'm slowly beging to awaken.
    8.05am: I depart the dart at Pearse street dart station....
    8.32am: I board the luas...
    8.57am: I arrive in Sandyford,

OMG
    What the hell are you going into town at that hour of the morning for.
    You obviously live in Sandymount - is it not easier to get the Dart to Blackrock, and get the feeder bus to Sandyford ?????

HELLO????
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

The Yipper wrote:
    7.47am: I arrive at Sandymount dart station...
    7.55am: I board the dart...I'm slowly beging to awaken.
    8.05am: I depart the dart at Pearse street dart station....
    8.32am: I board the luas...
    8.57am: I arrive in Sandyford,

OMG
    You obviously live in Sandymount - is it not easier to get the Dart to Blackrock, and get the feeder bus to Sandyford ?????

HELLO????

And this has what to do with the rags that are The Herald AM and Metro??

Hello????

If the guy wants to spend a half hour more than is necessary travelling every morning, then that is his business :rolleyes:

I personally get to work by jumping on the M50 at the Ballymun onramp, circling around to Dundrum, parking the car, jumping on the LUAS and hitting Harcourt St 3 hours later :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

its a free paper - stop giving out. I have to buy a paper if I want one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Bunch of whining fannys where's my bloody metro or herald in the mornings i want one:( :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭shuushh

they are starting to get very annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭kellxor.1337

Why do MOST of you guys have such a harsh look on this. It's there job, OP there not SELLERS there givin it away for free, Just say no thanks when u pass, I doubt they shove it in your face when u walk pass, I pass them every mornin on the Heuston luas bridge, and there extremley nice,

Why such a harsh reaction to them,

Kellxor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

RasTa wrote:
    Typical Irish, moan moan moan moan
    Jesus chirst is that the worst thing that happens to you in the morning ?, Someone handing you a free newspaper ? Either take it or dont, It aint that hard.

precisely :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

The Yipper wrote:
    OMG

HELLO????

Feeder bus can suck my left nut!! They only time it's late is when it actually shows up...

Bad expieriences :o

:p:p:p:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

It's INCREDIBLY annoying. I generally just ignore them. Thankfully, my local station rarely has them, though Pearse Street and Trinity tend to. Should be banned.

And they're not even proper newspapers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Oh FFS I cannot believe this thread...

"Well, you know, being offered so many free newspapers in the morning loike totally ruins my daily concentration on being a junior vb.net script analyst and totally disturbs my train of thought on what sambo I'm gonna get from Cafe Sol at lunchtime..."

Oh please. Remember the Grange Hill anti-drugs song from the mid 80's?...(yes I'm that old)...Just say no!

Seriously though, DCC should ban these free ars*-wipers on the grounds of environmental polution and waste. Won't someone think of the dolphins?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭DéiseGirl

This has been driving me mad of late, but I googled Boards just to make sure I wasn't duplicating threads and found this one. I walk to work every morning from Milltown to city centre. I walk past the Milltown tram stop on the way and there are a Metro distributor and a Herald distributor there who literally run after people to give them papers, even people on bicycles, or people who are already running to catch a tram. I never take a newspaper there because I'm at the start of the journey but these 2 boyos insist on coming over to me every morning - sometimes running if they're on the other side of the tram stop - waving their papers at me, shoving them in my face etc. I know they see a lot of people everyday but I'm walking past at pretty much the same time every morning so I'm pretty sure they know me by now and that they're just doing it for divilment. Fair enough, they're trying to make their job a bit more "fun" and are obviously competing against each other to see who can get rid of papers quicker, but Jesus Wept, they're annoying. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

bumped, eh...

Does anyone know who is it that writes the articles in these papers? I read the Herald (the "real" one) every so often cos the parents get it, and I read the Herald AM on the bus, and I've noticed that the writing is alot... sh*tter... in the Herald AM (yeh I didn't think it was possible either). I get the impression that they're letting the newbies in the Herald write the articles for the AM, cos they know people will read them anyway, and they get money from all the ads (is there more ads than articles? there must be!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

DaveMcG wrote:
    (is there more ads than articles? there must be!)

erm i remember the metro when 3ireland was being released here.

EVERY single page had a 3ireland advert on it, it even had a special limited edition cover that was basically two 1 page adverts for...you guessed it 3ireland

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

The Hearld and the metro feature the same storys word for word, they get them off the news wire, or whatever it's called, where a lot of papers get story sources and re-write them themselves, or re-phrase them at least...but these are "free" papers, so both just copy and paste...very annoying when reading the sport especially because there's no deviation in storys what so ever, at least in the main part of the paper they may select different storys...

One or two articles are now written by a "journalist" to be unique in recent times, but for the most part, it's the same.

(oh and my post before about the amount of papers I'm offerd and the way i pick it up one place in work, read it, throw it out, pick one up somewhere else etc...I was making the point of how ridiculos how many are around the place and the litter, congestion it causes...not that I wouldn't read it as somebody said...I don't take it cause I don't need to..other people should do the same...just pick one up on the Luas, Bus or Dart, or just pick one out of/on top of the overloadedbins of free papers)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

I have to say that the guy and gal on clonsilla rail bridge are great, he walks around with a paper held up, and if you want one you take it. you can even make eye contact and say hello without having to take a paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Dermington

xzanti wrote:
    Theres a girl who hands them out at the corner of Baggot Street (Lwr) beside Eddie Rockets... and shes the happiest, cheeriest looking person at 8am Iv ever seen... .. Id love to know what shes having for her breakfast..

Lots and lots of cock.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Dermington wrote:
    Lots and lots of cock.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

rsynnott wrote:
    It's INCREDIBLY annoying. I generally just ignore them. Thankfully, my local station rarely has them, though Pearse Street and Trinity tend to. Should be banned.

And they're not even proper newspapers.

Excuse me, yes they are! They helped my toilet train my doggy! She also loves ripping them to bits so I have to pick them up when I get home. Sometimes, if your lucky, you can still read a headline when you are picking up her poo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

It's pretty much a load of hairy arse..

News story #1 goes into Monday's Evening Herald...
    News story #1 gets recycled into Tuesday morning's Herald AM...
    News story #1 lands in Tuesday's Independant...

Every day I get every story 3 times from 'different' papers. Yes I could not read em, but I get them all for free and sometimes the pictures are better than whats sitting next to me on the bus :rolleyes:

It is a load of arse though.

I have my regular guy for the Herald AM now, he's cool and from Portugal. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Not that I would ever condone it but if the person was being extra pushy trying to give you a paper you should oblige them and then ask for another and another, and so on.

See how many you can get. If you can get most of them dump them into a bin around the corner then ring the Metro and tell them you saw one of thier people dumping papers into a bin.

I think you can gurantee there won't be a pushy person giving the paper out the next day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭po0k

All the eejits prior to this post who suggested "Just say no" are selectively ignoring what the OP said.
    Some of the pe0ns SHOVE the newspaper in front of you.
    It's a 'free' newspaper, but they get paid money for advertising. The more people they can say 'read' their newspaper, the more money they can gouge from people looking to advertise within it.

It's yet another rag publication intended to generate some soft cash.
    The publishers should be charged for the cleanup.

If it was just a matter of "If you want one, take one, if not, say no" then they could do away with the paper-pushers (Copyleft po0k Interprizes Inc.) and have them in baskets/stands in the high pedestrian traffic areas.
    There would be no need to hire people to assault the public with their publication.

But then they'd have to actually have some content worth reading before people would pick them up.

It's a cynical bastardised interpretation of the free/advertising-supported newspaper model.

And for that, the publishers deserve to burn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

They don't bother me, give me something to read in the morning.

I'm more bothered about being bombarded with chairtys at lunchtime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

SyxPak wrote:
    If it was just a matter of "If you want one, take one, if not, say no" then they could do away with the paper-pushers (Copyleft po0k Interprizes Inc.) and have them in baskets/stands in the high pedestrian traffic areas.
    There would be no need to hire people to assault the public with their publication.

Exactly. The big problem I have with it is being approached on the street so many times in the morning. I want to be able to walk into work without having someone step in front me waving a newspaper every 2 minutes. I never take the papers, never read them, and never will, but I spend so much time every morning saying "no thanks" to people who are wasting their time offering them to me, when all I want is to be left alone with my thoughts while I'm still tired. It would make a huge difference if they had stands that was stocked up every morning, so you can take a paper if you want to or just walk past un-hassled if you don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

A new paper was launched over here recently. While the established one simply fills its stands in the morning, the new one has people actively pushing it to try and get whatever marketshare they can more quickly.

Fortunately, the "pushers" are as polite as can be. If I as much as shake my head slightly while they approach, they leave me alone. Conversely, if I reach out a hand slightly, they will move to intercept me to give me the paper. I don't have to swerve, detour, or even break stride. Fantastic.

My guess is that what you guys are all experiencing is a short-term thing. It'll go away in 6-12 months. In the meantime, why not go to one of those t-shirt printing shops and get a custom one done up saying something like :

"Offer me a paper and I'll punch you in the gob"
    "I already have a paper thanks"
    "P1ss off with your paper"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

They give away the Metro in London on the tube as well, but they're just put in a stand with "get one quick" above it, and its usually empty by 11am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I wish we had free newspapers every day :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Simon201

Yeah those guys who try to sell you Heralds at the M50 junction at Blanchardstown wreck me head a bit especially the ones....errm how can I put this delicately.. ok they don't look like they were born in this country, anyhow you're in your car and your like 20 cars back from the lights and I reckon they have in built telescopic vision cos it's a bit like being at an auction cos you might kinda just twitch your eyebrow by mistake and they're on you like hot snot nearly pressing the front of the herald up against your window and at the same time they're missing the guy who's got his arm waving out the window like he's in class wanting the toilet or something waving this big denomination euro note....

ah just ranting time of the night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bobble

Metro & Herald AM distributors are paid a shift rate. They are paid regardless if they have newspapers left over or not. Distribution is closely monitored and circulation figures are not "guessed" as insinuated by someone.

I walk to work each morning and am offered either a herald am or metro every few yards, I just say no thank you. Papers are not forced on me. If you do not wish to have a paper then just say no! I think they are far worse things than getting handed 2 papers in the morning.

Irish people are never happy, they complain if they have to pay for something and they complain if it’s free.

I wrote on this board as I'd herad from a friend about it and all I can say is thats its pathetic. Stop ranting about stupid things and get a life for yourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,360 ✭✭✭Archeron

bobble wrote:
    Metro & Herald AM distributors are paid a shift rate. They are paid regardless if they have newspapers left over or not. Distribution is closely monitored and circulation figures are not "guessed" as insinuated by someone.

I walk to work each morning and am offered either a herald am or metro every few yards, I just say no thank you. Papers are not forced on me. If you do not wish to have a paper then just say no! I think they are far worse things than getting handed 2 papers in the morning.

Irish people are never happy, they complain if they have to pay for something and they complain if it’s free.

I wrote on this board as I'd herad from a friend about it and all I can say is thats its pathetic. Stop ranting about stupid things and get a life for yourselves.

at fifty paces everybody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

bobble wrote:

You dragged up a 5 month old thread to say that?

I don't think it's us that needs to get a life....

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

1: Current I live in central London. In the morning whilst out running these paper sellers try to force their wares on me. Does it look like I want to read a paper on my run? It is not as if I was going that slowly as a smart ar$e colleague remarked. i.e. I was booting it.

2: Getting onto a tube to be greeted with the sight of the whole carriage reading the same cr&p news paper has some very Orwellian overtones to it. Scary brainwashing - perhaps not intentional... but do you really want to have your head full of the same rubbish as everyone else? No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 sharonlarkin

These people drive me mad. I drive through Phibsborough every morning and there is one on the corner of the North Circular, cutting in between traffic and waving the stupid paper in front of the window. Drives me mad. One of these days I'm just going to run him over

• Advertisement

These people drive me mad. I drive through Phibsborough every morning and there is one on the corner of the North Circular, cutting in between traffic and waving the stupid paper in front of the window. Drives me mad. One of these days I'm just going to run him over
    Narky drivers annoy Pighead much more than Paper Sellers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 sharonlarkin

I only get narky when someone waves something in front of my window :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

Ah good it's been revived, the last time this thread was about I didn't have to be in town that early.
    I used to avoid them but now I take one for the sudoku. Easy enough to avoid though, just veer around them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

bobble wrote:

Is that a complaint?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

No you wont, stop acting tough on the internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

What about the 'aul getting thrown 2 papers in the car window trick!

Works every time ;)

Whatever happened to de salt of de earth aul fellas who used to sell the 'heraldeds in the evenings?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Sizzler wrote:

Whatever happened to de salt of de earth aul fellas who used to sell the 'heraldeds in the evenings?

prob the same guys on the morning crew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Simon201 wrote:
    Yeah those guys who try to sell you Heralds at the M50 junction at Blanchardstown wreck me head a bit especially the ones....errm how can I put this delicately.. ok they don't look like they were born in this country,

You mean their black?

panda100 wrote:
    You mean their black?
    I hope the black people who were born here don't get offended

I think "they werent born here" sounds worse than "they're black"
    as if being black was a bad thing

assuming that's what the person you were quoting was trying to say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

BossArky wrote:
    1: Current I live in central London. In the morning whilst out running these paper sellers try to force their wares on me.

Yes imagine what the reaction would be in Dublin if they started distributing papers in the evenings as well. Currently the gf is offered 4 different newspapers a day - 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening.

Anyhow to put things into perspective, I'd wager that half the moaning biatches on here work in some sort of sales/telemarketing type job and are pushing their way past these paper sellers so they can go peddle their own unwanted sh1t to some other unfortunate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

bluewolf wrote:
    I hope the black people who were born here don't get offended

I think "they werent born here" sounds worse than "they're black"
    as if being black was a bad thing

assuming that's what the person you were quoting was trying to say

Exactly.If someones black then their black but they can still be born here. Irish people in general are scared to use the word black because they think its racist.Its not though saying someones 'coloured' or 'dont look like they were born here' is a lot worse.

• Advertisement
Advertisement