Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McDowell apologises over 'Nazi' jibe

Options
  • 21-03-2006 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/0321/mcdowellm.html
    The Minister for Justice, Michael McDowell, this morning apologised for likening Fine Gael's Richard Bruton to a Nazi.

Labour and Fine Gael are expected to question the Taoiseach, Bertie Ahern, today on the Government's record on crime.

It comes after Mr McDowell dismissed as misleading figures from his department released by Mr Bruton which showed that the number of gardaí in Dublin increased by just two last year...
    I found this story interesting. Perhaps because this is the real-life™ equivalent of Goodwins law, but also because McDowell actually apologised to the man. For someone as - shall we say uncompromising - as McDowell, this apology was either an admission that what he said was unacceptable or an attempt to mitigate political fallout. I'm prepared to accept it was the former, but I think it is more in his line to answer the question as to garda numbers than use 'smoke and mirrors' style Nazi slurs.

Also, I found the image accompanying this article very amusing in the context of McDowells 'Nazi' jibe: http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=9&si=1584065&issue_id=13826

Comments

He definitely has a temper alright and it seemed to me he went overboard in articulating what he thought was Bruton wrongly cherry picking statistics.

Bruton was of course cherry picking statistics. Garda numbers is a story alright but its a non story when you cherry pick a statistic in a non subtle way.
    I'd say Kenny and crew are livid this morning at the oxygen being taken out of this one, they've had so little in the way of issues lately.But they will still try to flog a dead horse with it probably.

What they dont realise though is that,Gaffes arent a uniquely pd or FF thing, so if they keep this up, they are opening the door to themselves getting the same treatment but dangerously further down the road and closer to an election.
    They are not perfect as is no politician and now they've almost imposed the need for perfection which is a banana skin waiting to happen in my opinion.

It would have been an excelent gaffe/tool for an election campaign had this happened next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

Earthman wrote:
    They are not perfect as is no politician and now they've almost imposed the need for perfection which is a banana skin waiting to happen in my opinion.

Hardly.
    Mr Bruton later said he "absolutely" accepted the apology. "The minister must have had a bad day," he said. "As far as I'm concerned that's the end of the matter."

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/breaking/2006/0321/breaking15.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

FG could hardly make a song or dance about gaffes - especially considering Enda's big one a couple of years back...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

also
    Labour Party leader Pat Rabbitte welcomed the apology, saying Mr McDowell's remarks were "completely over the top". More importantly, he said, they "diverted attention from the serious issues being raised".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭exactiv

From the front page of the Irish Times
    mcdowell.jpg

He's an angry man.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Non story really, apart from McDowells fulsome appology. Not that its stopped RTE banging on about all day.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭EireRoadUser

Michael McDuel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Question is whether this was real anger or put on outrage that McDowell does, I thnk he was actually pissed this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I think he was under stress (garda reserve etc) and snapped. He was in the right on the facts so he wasn't trying to bluster. I'd say that he snapped.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Is McDowell trying to stop people from calling him Goebbels?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Michael McDuel
    I think more like Michael McDoogle. The guy is the biggest eejit I have ever heard/seen - I would vote fianna fail if they'd promise never to let people like him in government with them again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭EireRoadUser

I think brian cowen will be the saviour of fina fail, I think cowen and bertie are good as a team.

I wouldn't like to see anyone else in government but the current government is a load of blarney stone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Does anyone have the actual quote of him referring to Goebbels? It hasn't actually been referenced on the news or anythin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

I don't have the exact quote but it went something like: "He's the Goebbels of progaganda." which I tought was funny because Goebbels was also involved in a bit of propeganda.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

But in truth over the last 24 hours McDowell has been more Herr Flick than Goebbells.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

he should have said comical ali or something for spouting rubbish, we need new references, or perhpas he should have said that was very john bruten thing to do, and then Ill ever say that was a very McDowell thing to do...

Advertisement