Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr. Who

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭foxybrowne

i'd say the Satan Pit was scary for the kids. Peter Kay's in next weeks episode, who'll be next, Ken Dodds!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Fairly weak two parter that. Highly predictable, slow moving, dreadful acting and just not a very interesting story.

Next weeks looks like it might be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Though part two was a bit of a let down, though I did like part one :) Some of the sciencey bits were a bit cringeworthy though :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I felt that first part was excellent, but part two was definetly not as good, and more than a little predictable.

There was an absolutely phenominal theory posted on imdb.com, which had surmised that when the earthquake hit, and the Tardis fell down the chasm, it tried to transport away in an act self-preservation (What with it being a living being) but the black hole messed with it's trajectory and the Tardis ended up falling through space, millions of years before the events of The Impossible Planet, but still in the same location. Right at the centre of the pit, the Tardis went mad! It believed itself responsible for abandoning the Doctor, and felt such guilt that it begun to define itself as the devil.

Anyway, that was never going to happen, but the idea of a Tardis going mad is very interesting indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I'm of the same opinion regarding part one vs part two. I liked part one a lot. Part two didn't have the same bite, just a predictable closing off of the events of part one. The Doctor was beginning to annoy me greatly as well when he wouldn't shut up or stop repeating himself. Especially the whole "humans are brilliant" masturbation bits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

foxybrowne wrote:
    i'd say the Satan Pit was scary for the kids. Peter Kay's in next weeks episode, who'll be next, Ken Dodds!
    Oh dear god... Peter Kay? That sounds horrible..

Although that girl with the ronny out of Intermission also seems to be in it next week.

There was an absolutely phenominal theory posted on imdb.com, which had surmised that when the earthquake hit, and the Tardis fell down the chasm, it tried to transport away in an act self-preservation (What with it being a living being) but the black hole messed with it's trajectory and the Tardis ended up falling through space, millions of years before the events of The Impossible Planet, but still in the same location. Right at the centre of the pit, the Tardis went mad! It believed itself responsible for abandoning the Doctor, and felt such guilt that it begun to define itself as the devil.

Where abouts on imdb did you find that theory? Pretty damn interesting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Where abouts on imdb did you find that theory? Pretty damn interesting!

It was on the Doctor Who board, but I'm afraid I couldn't find it again.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Anyway, that was never going to happen, but the idea of a Tardis going mad is very interesting indeed.
    And not an original one. If you're gonna be hardcore, like I feel the need to right now, the idea of insane TARDISes was explored in a very interesting way in the BBC novels with the whole Enemy/Faction Paradox arc they had. It led, btw, to the original destruction of Gallifrey (which is obviously non-can for the series).

There's no reason to suggest that this happened here whatsoever. The TARDIS fell down, the Doctor stumbled across it (and perhaps it met with him). Certainly can't see it being the incarnation of the devil - primeval forces are nothing new in the show. Far more to the point, I'd have suggested that the creature was something like the Guardians, something left over from the previous universe before time (contrary to what the Doctor says, this has happened in the original series - jeez, see "Terminus" for starters with the fifth incarnation Mr. Scriptwriters).

I enjoyed this episode and felt it was a great two-parter but there was a little too much dialog padding. The Doctor took far too long to waffle to the point when confronted with the demon - I'm assuming to fill the episode out and to get their moneys worth from the SFX. And yes, as Stark said, his whole "aren't humans BRILLIANT!" - a Fast Show nod p'raps? - grated. As to the lack of sci-fi accuracy? This was the show that gave us "reverse the polarity of the neutron flow" as a fix for almost anything...

Couple of nice touches when the Doctor was talking about alien planets and mentioned the likes of Draconia and Deimos, which previous incarnations have both visited.

Though the acting was good enough - completely disagree with Goodshape there - and didn't think it was any more predictable than usual.
    foxybrowne wrote:
    Peter Kay's in next weeks episode, who'll be next, Ken Dodds!
    For those of you who don't know, I'm assuming foxy is making a joke here because Ken Dodds was in "Delta and the Bannermen" from the Slyvester McCoy years. But Peter Kay? Hmmm...

ixoy wrote:
    primeval forces are nothing new in the show. Far more to the point,
    Doctor Who Confidential this week showed clips of all the other demonic monsters that have appeared in the show over the years.

They got the guy who did the voice of the egyptian god before to do the voice of the devil this time around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭protos

The impossible planet had a big nod to the computer game "Doom" - same satan monster thingy, and the sound of the airlock doors closing was lifted straight from the game.

In general I'm enjoying the show. I never saw the originals but I read every book I could get my hands on when I was younger - they were great .........

Your one Rose is really annoying though - she's very smug - makes me want to rip her face off !! A new companion next season would be nice - an alien.

protos wrote:
    The impossible planet had a big nod to the computer game "Doom" - same satan monster thingy, and the sound of the airlock doors closing was lifted straight from the game.
    Noticed the sound of the doors alright.. thought it was an nice little easter egg at first but it got compleatly over-used and they never actually did anything good with it.

protos wrote:
    Your one Rose is really annoying though - she's very smug - makes me want to rip her face off !! A new companion next season would be nice - an alien.
    Well it certainly sounds like their building up to her death this season if the devils prophecy comes true.

That Peter Kay episode was cringeworthy :(

I do like that ELO track though...

But the Scooby Doo style chase scene with all the doors? Dear god... that's terrible.

It would be interesting if Ursala turned out to be the face of Bo... but that probably won't happen.

Stark wrote:
    That Peter Kay episode was cringeworthy :(
    I thought it was good enough fun.

Most of it was yer mans recollection, so they get away with it being a bit off the wall.
    Well it certainly sounds like their building up to her death this season if the devils prophecy comes true.

So I guess the message from this episode for lonely kids was "Fire is love"? I can see that ending well... :)

The Olympic flame, it stands for Hope, Courage, Determination, ... Love?

Anyway, now that I've finished vomiting (mmm, the burning sensation in my throat, feels like love), it was an okay filler episode for the kiddies. Far less cringeworthy that last week's effort and did have some amusing moments.

Next week's episode looks brilliant though.

Yep... it was very well scripted and acted... but the love thing was bit naff alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

I thought the child actor was horrible, but aside from that, it was pretty decent.

I read an article some where about Billie Piper saying she would love to play the role of the 'Doctor' at some point. That just makes me cringe as we approach the end of this season, where she is, presumably, going to die...

Perhaps they'll have a regeneration scene for her where she regenerates into Candice from Coronation Street.

Rose: "Am I still, a chav?"
    Doctor: "Mmm, I'm afraid so".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Stark wrote:
    Rose: "Am I still, a chav?"
    Doctor: "Mmm, I'm afraid so".

ROFL

I loved that line when her body was taken over - "Oh great - I'm a chav" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Casssandrs in Rose's body: " it's like being inside a bouncey castle"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I hated last weeks episode. It was far worse than L&M. The child couldn't act, the story was weak and all the Olympic stuff was stomach churning. It felt like a heavy handed pr stunt from Ken Livingston to make us see how wonderful the olympics will be. (And realise the extra tax the residents of one of the 5 most expensive cities on earth have to pay to fund it is worth it.)

And why was the BBC broadcasting the Olympic torch progressing up the street when only minutes beforehand 18,000 people, including BBC staff, have just disappeared. It was really clumsy as it was only shown to lead Rose to the flame. At the very least they could have indicated that they had been forced to drop they story by Torchwood or something.

Rose is gonna die, Rose is gonna die! Doin' a little dance, doin' a little dance!

I bet she gets turned into a Cyberman :)

And then gets her own TV show pilot with Sarah Jane Smith.

There's actually a k9 spin off in the works. It's going to be squarely aimed at kids and K9 has a more modern design... I don't think Sarah Jane will be in it though.

There is no god.

.oh.. here we are:

_41595652_k9new_body.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4939144.stm

I loathe him already!

"K9 holds a very special place in the hearts of all Doctor Who fans." added Jim Howell of distributors Park Entertainment.

I'm not so sure that bile ducts are part of the heart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Didn't they try this before? It thought I saw it mentioned in the DWC for School Reunion. It lasted 1 episode.

Advertisement