Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr. Who

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yeah there was a failed TV show called "K-9 and company" which featured K9 and Sarah Jane Smith and solving mysteries. It was woeful. I watched it thinking it might be funny bad or cringefest bad but it was just snorefest bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

I thought they were gonna bring k-9 back but have him all retro and falling to bits due to being so old. Or were they lying? The new super-duper version looks a bit sh*te.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,217 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Eh, they did already in School Reunion. Have to say I never watched the original series, in fact I can remember detesting it as a child but I'm totally hooked on the new series.
    Am I the only one that's upset that they're killing off Rose?

Sleepy wrote:
    Am I the only one that's upset that they're killing off Rose?
    I like her. I'm more worried about her replacement. Candice from Coronation Street was one line-up. Oh please god no. Some of the other candidates sounded crap as well.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Stark wrote:
    I like her. I'm more worried about her replacement. Candice from Coronation Street was one line-up. Oh please god no. Some of the other candidates sounded crap as well.
    I'd like to see them find a talented unknown. Doctor Who is enough of a draw that they don't need fans of a certain actor to boost ratings. If someone is very well known it can take a while to stop thinking of them as their previous characters.

It took me quite a while to accept Billie Piper in the role. I couldn't look at her without hearing "Because We Want To" for the first few episodes. But she is actually very good, but it took me til the 2nd series to see it. Though I don't think she has the same chemistry with DT that she had with CE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Oooh... next week could be pretty cool.

Was that the Supreme Dalek in the void ship?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

it just looked like regular daleks... didn't rose remove the supreme dalek from time or something at the end of season 1?

Mordeth wrote:
    it just looked like regular daleks... didn't rose remove the supreme dalek from time or something at the end of season 1?
    That was the Dalek emperor. The Dalek Supreme has always been the black one.. there was a bit of a Dalek civil war at one stage with renegade daleks and daleks loyal to Davros.

Ixoy should be able to explain things better for us all.

Also these Daleks would have been in the void outside time and space, and as such they'll have escaped being wiped form time.

yeah, I was just saying that it couldn't be any of the ones rose wiped out.. but you already knew that.. so we're all good.

gotten all the people in the house I'm living in here into dr who now, they watched s1 over the last two days and started s2 today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,217 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I reckon these Daleks will have escaped into that void ship during the Time War so I'm curious as to the notion of perhaps some other Time Lords having done the same!

• Advertisement

I'm hoping The Master will show his face at some stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭robnubis

Apparently its 4 imperial daleks vs. Army of Cybermen.

You will be Exterminated!!!
    You will be Deleted!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I thought it was going to be him in the void until the Daleks came through.

Cool episode that, looking forward to next week. Captain Jack makes a return I think, although I could be wrong (read that somewhere.. and it would make some sense to tie it to the upcoming Torchwood series).

Not overly upset that Rose is leaving.. it's a good character but they've already replaced an absolutly fantastic doctor (imo, at least) so I care a little less about the sidekick. Maybe someone new will be able to play of the current doctor better.

Goodshape wrote:
    Cool episode that, looking forward to next week. Captain Jack makes a return I think, although I could be wrong (read that somewhere.. and it would make some sense to tie it to the upcoming Torchwood series).

He might be making an appearance due to scheduling conflicts from what I've heard.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I'm gutted that we've seen no sign of Koschei yet. If he appears, I want him to have a name like "Mestra" or some equally well-hidden pseudynom. I want him to be behind it all too....
    That was the Dalek emperor. The Dalek Supreme has always been the black one.. there was a bit of a Dalek civil war at one stage with renegade daleks and daleks loyal to Davros.

Ixoy should be able to explain things better for us all.
    Ixoy should, but can't offhand. I do have the answers at home though... Suffice to say that "Remembrance of the Daleks" was meant to be a big sweep up of all the original Dalek stuff, including destroying Skaro. They retconned that for the books though and, presumably, for the series...
    Sleepy wrote:
    reckon these Daleks will have escaped into that void ship during the Time War so I'm curious as to the notion of perhaps some other Time Lords having done the same!
    Yes, it's an interesting notion. They had a sorta-similar idea in the BBC Novels, with a seperate faction existing in a bubble "outside" time and space, something like the void. Found it fascinating then and think it's a neat way to introduce Mestra to us all next season.

Be interesting to see how they manage the finale - they've never had the two sides appear in one story before ("Five Doctors" doesn't count), so plenty of room for the two sides to bash each other up using Earth as a battle-ground. Plenty of scope for a heroic sacrifice of a certain someone too (leap into the void p'raps and remove themselves from existence? Or too bleak...) - and it will mean something more than "Earthshock" did in all fairness...

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭cerbeus

And the latest companion for the Doctor will be......

Freema Agyeman. She played Adeola in episode 12 and met her death at the hands of the Doctor. But she will be coming back to place a new character who also happens to be the Doctor's newest companion.

Read on:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2006/07_july/05/agyeman2.shtml

cerbeus wrote:
    She played Adeola in episode 12 and met her death at the hands of the Doctor.
    That's a bit strange, innit?

And that's all I have to say about that. Another 13 episodes and christmas special sounds good enough to me.

I'm guessing Rose isn't going to die in any conventional manner due to the fact that the episode started off with her talking about how she died. I'm guessing they're going to plop her into some other plane of existance or some such.

Oh and it doesn't look like we're going to hear much of the Face of Bo's secret this season unless there is some major time hopping going to happen next week.

I'm guessing Rose isn't going to die in any conventional manner
    Also, the return of Mickey (knew we hadn't seen the last of him) and the fact the 'ghosts' came from his dimension.. I reckon Rose will head back with him, either intentionally or otherwise.

I bet they show Rose living out the remainder of her life with her mother on Earth, getting married, dying as an old woman, then getting sued by Six Feet Under.

• Advertisement

I don't know why but I've had the impression since 'The Rise of The Cyberman' that Jackie would lose Rose, but gain alternate Pete.
    I know he is in the final episode, so now it seems more likely.

What I want to know is why in 'Fear Her" no-one seems to have any memory of been taken over by cybermen/ghosts. It was only 6 years before, there should at least have been a suggestion that something "supernatural" was taking the children. Instead of an out and out dismissal of "crazy old lady."

iguana wrote:
    What I want to know is why in 'Fear Her" no-one seems to have any memory of been taken over by cybermen/ghosts. It was only 6 years before, there should at least have been a suggestion that something "supernatural" was taking the children. Instead of an out and out dismissal of "crazy old lady."

2 possible explanations:

The Ninth Doctor said in the previous series that since the Time War, and the death of the Timelords, history is no longer in a stable condition and in a state of flux. Since the void ship caused the fractures and existed outside time/space, it could effect the changes needed to modify history. The Doctor and Rose would have visited 2012 London "before" these changes.

The other explanation was also provided by the Ninth Doctor when Mickey questioned him as to why noone seemed to acknowledge alien existence even after the events of "Aliens in London/World War III". His explanation was "humans are thick" :) Of course with those episodes being Slitheen episodes, he may have had Russell T Davies specifically in mind when he made that statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭regeneration

iguana wrote:
    I don't know why but I've had the impression since 'The Rise of The Cyberman' that Jackie would lose Rose, but gain alternate Pete.
    I know he is in the final episode, so now it seems more likely.

Doctor Who was always... how shall we say... flexible when it came to adhering to it's own continuity ;) It's one of its greater charms to be honest; if you tried putting together the Daleks "history" & timeline throughout the show for instance you'd probably go nuts.

But yes, there's been repeated emphasis that the Space-Time Continuum is rightly f*cked since the Time Lords are now (almost) extinct.

Does anyone else find it annoying when the Doctor goes "I'm sorry, I'm so very sorry" He does almost every episode and it's almost as bad as Eccleston's inane grinning.

It strikes me as being very lazy writing if that's the only thing they can come up with to convey the gravity of a situation.

um.. no, I kinda like it. says all there is to say really, anything else would be pointless.

I liked the inane grinning too.

Fair enough! I just really hated "Fear Her" and wanted to pick more holes in it.:)

I'm going more for the time in state of flux explanation though, because I think since "The Christmas Invasion" humans have been more aware of alien/supernatural occurences. Especially as the ghost stuff had been going on for months.

Doctor Who was always... how shall we say... flexible when it came to adhering to it's own continuity ;) It's one of its greater charms to be honest; if you tried putting together the Daleks "history" & timeline throughout the show for instance you'd probably go nuts.
    That hasn't stopped some people - check out "The Doctor Who Discontinuity Guide" or Lance Parkin's (writer of "Father's Day") book - "The Doctor Who Chronology", both of which make serious headway into resolving the timelines of all the stories. The latter's recent reprint also includes trying to fit in the additional 300 spin-off novels. Be afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭regeneration

ixoy wrote:
    That hasn't stopped some people - check out "The Doctor Who Discontinuity Guide" or Lance Parkin's (writer of "Father's Day") book - "The Doctor Who Chronology", both of which make serious headway into resolving the timelines of all the stories. The latter's recent reprint also includes trying to fit in the additional 300 spin-off novels. Be afraid.
    Oh I know, believe me; I tend to read www.gallifreyone.com and its forums a lot & it doesn't take long to get a sense of how... committed/intense some fans are about resolving the tenuous continuity; especially the never-ending debate as to whether the novels are "canon"

Oh and Fathers Day was written by Paul Cornell (though I do believe Lance Parking should write some TV Who; a very talented writer).

Oh and Fathers Day was written by Paul Cornell (though I do believe Lance Parking should write some TV Who; a very talented writer).
    Dang it - silly me. I forgot - Cornell does the human-emotion angle stories like "Human Nature" (at least to my mind). Parkin would still be good, although I'd love if they gave Lawrence Miles a chance to really shake the series up...

As to the novels being canon, I like to think they are because some of them are damn damn good ("Lungbarrow", "Dead Romance", "Set Piece) , some of them aren't ("Divided Loyalties", "Invasion of the Cat People", the novelisation of "The Ghosts of N-Space"...) but a lot of them introduce some interesting concepts that could work well on screen. Would like to see the Looms introduced and the Other plotline (something originally meant to appear in the tv show). Would love love love to see the whole Faction Paradox (not a chance of that though). Sure some are needlessly complex and over-reliant on past stories but there's some real love for the show in most of them that deserves a bit of recognition...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

just started watching the repeats on bbc three recently and i'm gutted, the new Dr who is fantastic, i'm so p'ed off i missed it the last two years. is there box sets available, i checked play and all the turn up is the grinch, wtf?
    i liked the two episodes of ecclestone that i saw, but i'm really enjoying the david tennant doctor, he's got a great personality
    i have to admit i blubbed ,like a girl when i saw K9 die last night.

Advertisement