Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to ask a potential childminder

Options
  • 21-03-2006 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

Hi,

my wife is due in about 9 weeks time now, so we're looking in to organising some child care for when she goes back to work in November/December next. Our preference is to get a childminder for when the baby is still small.

A child minder has been recommended to us by a neighbour who used her for a while.

What should we be asking this woman when we go "interview" her?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

First off Congratulations on your impending parenthood.

http://www.cidb.ie/live.nsf/0/802567ca003e043d8025699100426a38?OpenDocument
    choosing childminding
    · Does the service comply with the regulations if appropriate?
    · Is the childminder a caring, affectionate and capable adult?
    · Has the childminder any training or previous experience?
    · Are the premises in good repair, warm and welcoming?
    · Is the environment child-friendly and safe?
    · Is there a second suitable adult present?
    · Have you asked for references?
    · Is it clear what service is being offered - times, fees, arrangements for payment, etc?
    · Are you asked for relevant information about your child?
    · What kind of activities are offered? Is there a good variety of toys and play materials?
    · Does the childminder have a good knowledge and understanding of child development and children's needs?
    · Does the childminder have a friendly and approachable manner?

http://www.childminding.ie/parents.htm
    Here are some questions which a good Childminder would expect:

1. What experience have you had as a parent and Childminder?
    2. Can I have a reference from parents of other minded children and from your family doctor?
    3. Are you insured for childminding?
    4. Have you attended any courses in child development and First Aid?
    5. How many under-sixes are there in the house, including your own children?
    6. Does your car insurance cover minded children?
    7. What are your rates?
    8. Are you flexible about collecting time?
    9. What is included in your charge - e.g. meals, making up bottles, some laundry?
    10. Are you a member of Childminding Ireland?
    11. Will you bring Baby to the clinic for developmental checks and vaccinations; and/or will you bring and fetch older children to and from play-school or big-school?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Saintly

Have a few friends in a similiar situation. All of them choose childminders who have children or mind children already and watched her interaction with them - seeing her with kids is a great litmus test.

Get a sense of how warm or caring she/he is and trust your instincts. The most important thing is that your child is placed with a responsible, caring and interested minder. All the nitty gritty details about routine etc can be ironed out later - try not to frighten a prospective childminder off with too many questions about child development and the like!

Saintly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I agree with all the questions that have been mentioned already.

Ask anything that comes to mind.

Could you ask your neighbour who recommended the childminder some of the already mentioned questions to give you an idea what the childminder is like.

I'm a childminder (member of Childminding Ireland and notified to HSE) and I give names of referees to any prospective parents yet I'm still amazed that most parents don't bother to check them.

Gut instinct is very important.

I like parent/s to visit a number of times before baby offically starts with me, even if it's only long enough for mum or dad to have a cuppa, then gradually leave baby with me for an hour or two so baby can get used to me and also it gives parent more time to get to know me and hopefully offer them some reassurance. Again you'd be surprised with the number of parents who just meet on the one occasion before mum goes back to work.

In my experience and other childminders that I know babies under 6 months are usually less clingy than those between 6 - 18 months. Sometimes those between 6 - 18 months are at a clingy stage especially if they've nearly always been with the mum and not left with grandparents, aunts etc.

In the meantime I hope all goes well with the arrival.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

Thanks all for the very informative replies. They are a great help. Sometimes it's the most obvious things you'd miss!

A

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭jinxycat

you could also go to your local childcare committy, they'll give you lots of information on this subject, i know i got loads of mine when i was doing research for a childcare course and they're very helpful in that way, i passed some of the books onto my friends who had kids and were looking for this type of information and were delighted with the booklets i gave them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement