Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opinions on Honda Varadaro 125

• 21-03-2006 12:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

Hi.

I'm thinking of buying a Honda Varadaro 125 as a city runabout. I don't want to keep clocking up miles on my car for city driving.

I've had a scooter for about 4 years, but I want something a little bit bigger. I'm 25 and I don't want to be stuck on a 50cc forever! I'd like to do my test so I can get bigger bikes in future (BMW R 1200 GS, drool..... :D )

So, what do you think of the Honda Varadaro? Any good? Problems? Any alternatives?

My insurance should be about €380 for a year on a 125cc bike (scooter is currently €230!!!!! crazy or what like!!!).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Chunkylover

I know people that swear by them and recommend them to everyone, but Ive also heard people slating them (not as many though), only been on 1 twice before, nice run around, and easy to handle shoudl be perfect for city driving, only thing is if you are getting you licence, youll need to take it on a bigger bike, not sure what size it has to be, I think either 200 or 250.... and dont know what you are complaing about with the insurance, im 26 on a restriced 650 and Im paying over 900 for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

exactiv wrote:
    Hi.

I'm thinking of buying a Honda Varadaro 125 as a city runabout. I don't want to keep clocking up miles on my car for city driving.

I've had a scooter for about 4 years, but I want something a little bit bigger. I'm 25 and I don't want to be stuck on a 50cc forever! I'd like to do my test so I can get bigger bikes in future (BMW R 1200 GS, drool..... :D )

So, what do you think of the Honda Varadaro? Any good? Problems? Any alternatives?

My insurance should be about €380 for a year on a 125cc bike (scooter is currently €230!!!!! crazy or what like!!!).

I dont think your insurance will be that cheap. You aren't factoring in what group the bike is in. Seamus has a Varadaro if I remember right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭exactiv

I'm not complaining about the insurance at all at all, I think the quote I got was quite reasonable. I was just compairing the scooter to the bike. It's crazy that the scooter is €230 and the bike is only €150 more expensive.

The 380 is a quote from AON. 4 years ncd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

sutty wrote:
    I dont think your insurance will be that cheap. You aren't factoring in what group the bike is in. Seamus has a Varadaro if I remember right.
    The Varadaro is group 2 insurance as far as I know so should be fairly cheap especially being 25 with NCB from your scooter!

What sort of money are they going for these days? Like a 02' for instance? Less than €3000?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

hmmm always thought it was in a higher group. Like 4 or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

exactiv wrote:
    I'm not complaining about the insurance at all at all, I think the quote I got was quite reasonable. I was just compairing the scooter to the bike. It's crazy that the scooter is €230 and the bike is only €150 more expensive.
    It should be the other way around if you ask me! Scooter drivers seem to have pillions on board far more often than bikes and it's well known that 70%+ of the claims against 'motorcycle' policies are from ilegally carried pillions (that's what Hibernian said when they pulled out of the market anyway).

I like the styling of the varadero, pity it's not available in a 250.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Nope, def group 2. Afaik, good reliable bike, (four stroke) v comfy to ride, and a big bike so you wont feel like you riding a tricycle.:D As was said earlier passing your test on this only entitles you to a full A1 licence (not exceeding 125cc) so youd be as well to get a bigger bike before your test comes up.

PS your alternatives in group 2 would be 125 cruisers (marauder, intruder, virago, TDR125 (which is two stroke) Yamaha TW125) If you going to go bigger your best bet is a factory restricted bandit 600 or similar, group 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Chunkylover

KatieK wrote:

PS your alternatives in group 2 would be 125 cruisers (marauder, intruder, virago, TDR125 (which is two stroke) Yamaha TW125) If you going to go bigger your best bet is a factory restricted bandit 600 or similar, group 5.

yeah the tdr is great fun but you may get tired of the speed or lack of it fairly quickly.... and for the love of god stay away from the bandit... reliable as a grandmothers kiss at christmas but everyone I know thats got a bandit has changed for the worse, its almost as if they age by 20 years the minute they buy one :D

I've no interest in a cruiser. I want to get a BMW F650 GS Dakar, but they're rare and expensive. I rang Ross Motorcycles in Cork at lunch hour, they don't have any Varadaros at the moment, but they siad a '02 should be about €2000.

Not too sure about a bandit either, buddy has one and he can't sell the damn thing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Check eBay UK for BMW F650's. The bikes over there are better anyway (cheap insurance so weekend biking is a realistic proposition). The VRT on slightly older bikes can be very little. The ferry costs are low for a bike too. You could pick up a bike in Liverpool/Manchester/Leeds/Birmingham and get a flight over and ride back the same day for reasonable money!

I love the beemers me. R1150 GS someday I will own!

Nothing on ebay at all. Loads on AutoTrader though. Might consider it. VRT seems to be about €200-€300 for a decent one. Mobile.de have loads of them. I could drive one back from Germany....... although, having never driven a bike with gears I'm not sure how that'd go ;)Think I'll start another thread on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, I have one. Love it to bits. Had a Suzuki Marauder before it, and the Varadero is far superior.

Very comfy, quite high (you'll struggle if you're less than 5'5") and one of the fastest in Group 2. It's a good quality build. I've had no trouble with mine in two years. As opposed to the Marauder, which just couldn't take a 20 mile commute every day.

As murphaph says, it's a pity it doesn't come in larger engine sizes (except the 1100cc, which is quite a different bike). It's solid even at 70mph, so it would be right at home with a 250cc or 400cc engine.

I'd strongly recommend going for one. Especially if I have to sell mine in May :p

Your other options are as KatieK said:
    Honda NSR125R - Racing-style bike. IMO a little small, but NSR owners tend to love them. A little faster than the Varadero.
    Yamaha TDR125 - Same style as the Varadero, but not as bulky, and a little faster. It is two-stroke though.
    Yamaha XVS125 (DragStar) - Lovely-looking cruiser style bike. Like other cruisers, it's not as quick or manouverable as the Varadero, but it's comfy and cool. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

More off-roady looking bikes include the honda XR and its predesecor the CityFly, neighbour has the city fly and she loves it, she had an NSR before that.

I love my Suzuki VanVan, nice little city runabout, big wheels great for mounting kerbs and it's also just a 125 so its group 2 insurance. And ive not seen many others about so its lovely and distinctive! (kinda girly though :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

if you like the style but want a bit more power the transalp 400 is low enough insurance & is great on motorways (same engine as the almighty bros)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Garibaldi

Or you could get a restricted Aprilia Pegaso Strada 650. Saw one of those when I was in Italy the weekend before last. Man, those things look cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Garibaldi wrote:
    Or you could get a restricted Aprilia Pegaso Strada 650. Saw one of those when I was in Italy the weekend before last. Man, those things look cool.

Check out those rims !!!!

aprilia%20pegaso%20strada%20l.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

K-TRIC wrote:
    Check out those rims !!!!

aprilia%20pegaso%20strada%20l.jpg
    funky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Garibaldi

They're not quite that bright in the flesh. :D

They're meant to mimic the OZ Racing rims on the Mille R. (never actually checked to see if the Strada rims were OZ)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 modal_ie

Yeah I have one and love it - I know they aren't the fastest bikes in the world but you'll find it hard to get a more comfortable 125 commuter bike. I had a few problems with mine but mostly to do with the dealer I bought it from and nothing to do with the bike itself. The only thing that bothers me about the bike is the exhaust - it's black and even though mine is only a year old it's rotting already. When the weather picks up I'll be cleaning it off and re-painting it. Couldn't recommend the bike enough though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Nice0ne

seamus wrote:

Your other options are as KatieK said:
    Honda NSR125R - Racing-style bike. IMO a little small, but NSR owners tend to love them. A little faster than the Varadero.
    Yamaha TDR125 - Same style as the Varadero, but not as bulky, and a little faster. It is two-stroke though.
    Yamaha XVS125 (DragStar) - Lovely-looking cruiser style bike. Like other cruisers, it's not as quick or manouverable as the Varadero, but it's comfy and cool. :)

There's also the Yamaha YBR125 which is a cheap bike (€2500 new) and is very good around town. I bought one after having a moped for two years and am very happy with it. It's also a bigish bike so if you're over 6' it's very comfortable. However if you're going to be doing any motorway drving you'll need something bigger.

www.yamaha-motor-europe.com/ products/motorcycles/125cc/ybr125.jsp

Advertisement