Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Back Stories: LOST

• 21-03-2006 1:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, so I was saying that the back stories are really important to LOST and maybe even more important then whats happening on the island.

Ok, I might be wrong about that.

They seem to be going no where.

The only link between last nights episode and the back story
    was death, is she?, isn't she?

So am I losing hope in LOST. Yeah! :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭Greener

For me I think the back stories are the best feature of lost, dont think they're more important as you say, but i love the way they mention small events, which seem insignificant, then a few episodes later they bring you back to the event and show how it affects them now, i think its wicked! :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Elmo wrote:
    Ok so I was saying that the back stories are really important to LOST even more important then whats happening on the island.

Ok I might be wrong about that.

The seem to be going no where.

The only link on last nights episode
    was death is she isn't she?

So am I losing hope in LOST. Yeah! :(

Man your english is as bad as mine or my reading skills are getting worse.

The back stories are very imporant. It can be seen all ready i.e the way people are and how they may all be connected away from the island

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

It's obvious that the back stories are very important but whether they're more important than what's going on in the island is irrelevant. Some of them (like last episode's on Shannon) are pretty pointless but some (like Lockes!!!!) are great! They give some good insight and it's fun to spot people in the background, or references to the numbers etc. Like when Michael gives baby Walt a teddy polar bear, or when you see Jack in the background flashback of Shannons etc.

In the end, the show is about CHARACTERS. characters characters characters...and their development. We're all dying to know what's going on with the island but I love just episodes on the PEOPLE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

The best back stories are the ones that both show us more depth to the characters and at the same time tell us more about what's going on on the island, like "Numbers" and "Raised By Another".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Ok, so I was saying that the back stories are really important to LOST and maybe even more important then whats happening on the island.

Ok, I might be wrong about that.

They seem to be going no where.

The only link between last nights episode and the back story spoiler: (deleted: see other post)
    So am I losing hope in LOST. Yeah!
    Man your english is as bad as mine or my reading skills are getting worse.

Sorry I left out some Ys etc.

I hope that you can read it now.

It could just be your english skills. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Just wait for Eko's backstory...Ana Lucia's isn't half bad either!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

i reckon rose is a dark horse, as is bernard, and their back stories are gonna prove crucial in the not so distant future. they're the only real link between the two camps, with the exception of jack's brief encounter with ana-lucia in the airport bar, and they're only playing minor roles at the minute but they're gonna grow into bigger roles soon enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Is this US or IRL? I'm afraid to look at the spoiler :o

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

It's IRL. You already know what's under the spoiler. And maybe it's me, but the sentence doesn't even make a whole lot of sense.

The only link between last nights episode and the back story was death, is she?, isn't she?

I don't know how else i could put it.

The only link between Shannon's back story and the Island was death. i.e. The death of her father and Boone and perhaps her own death.

Also there are people who aren't watching LOST on RTE.

• Advertisement

How does death link her known world and island experiences in any way? It's just something that happens? Shannon's character wasn't really going anywhere anyway, she knew she was useless, she didn't really make much of an effort. She was great to look at though.

Also walt could be dead and that is why she is seeing him. Just a Thought in the same way as Jack was seeing his father in the last season of Lost.

Elmo wrote:
    Also walt could be dead and that is why she is seeing him. Just a Thought in the same way as Jack was seeing his father in the last season of Lost.

According to the Internet Movie Database, Walt can be assumed dead, or at least missing for quite some time. If you check out this link http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0411008/ and scroll down a short bit to cast, the period each character features in is listed.
    For example, it says Dr. Jack Shephard (2004-) i.e. Jack's still there, alive and well. The bracket remains open for all characters still known to be alive, whereas in Walt's case it reads Walt Lloyd (2004-2005).
    This may turn out completely different (e.g. Walt disappears for a season, reappears next season, and it becomes Walt Lloyd (2004-2005), (2006-). Also, he doesn't feature in any of the promotional photos or trailers for the second series.
    Who knows..?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Anaiyela

tvnutz wrote:
    Just wait for Eko's backstory...Ana Lucia's isn't half bad either!

Yeah Mr. Echos story is great, Probably my favourite so far.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭PullMyFinger!

upmeath wrote:
    According to the Internet Movie Database, Walt can be assumed dead, or at least missing for quite some time. If you check out this link http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0411008/ .....

With respect - IMDB's "sources" have gone to shiite the past good while. I wouldnt take anything I read on the site anymore without a large grain of salt.

Maybe so, but several sites I've been on have pointed out that Walt is nowhere to be seen in Season 2 Promos or episode credits... Mystery!!!

Also for those of you who might think to ask the question, Why haven't we seen boone or any of the people that die in the crash around the Island.

1. We cann't say for sure that we haven't see dead people from the plane. And no I amn't saying they are all dead.
    2. Walt and Jack's father where not buried or cremated on their deaths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 nchap

I think the flashback in Abandoned fitted in perfectly with what was going on in the island.

In the flashback Shannon was abandoned by everyone she loved.

In the island she lost boone and no one believed her bout Walt, therefore she is on her own again.

It can also be interpreted this way. Shannon know's what its like to feel abandoned, she see's walt all on his own without michael and she thinks the raft is gone, therefore Walt is also abandoned. Shannon feel's like she has to find Walt so he doesn't feel abandoned like she felt

Advertisement