Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking for info on salix controta. (twisted hazel/willow)

Options
  • 21-03-2006 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭

Hiya all ,, any garders Amoung who minght be able To give me details of height spread of this tree, girlfriend just bought one thinking it was a drawf tree but I Cant find any info about the tree on the net or anything,

Any one know???

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

Salix are willow's aren't they? Twisted Hazel on the BBC plantfinder site... http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plants/plant_finder/plant_pages/225.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭dark_jedi_ire

Thanks macy your right salix is Willow so it is a twisted Willow,,

Sorry All My mistake,

Anyone any ideas? Or have homebase mislabeled,??

Thanks

Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭denismac

I have one of these in my garden for the past 12 or 13 years. It's still only about 6 or 7 feet tall with a spread something similar. A nice looking tree, especially when it matures and has a lot of contortions on the branches.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

denismac wrote:
    I have one of these in my garden for the past 12 or 13 years. It's still only about 6 or 7 feet tall with a spread something similar. A nice looking tree, especially when it matures and has a lot of contortions on the branches.

Yup, I agree. I have one (4 year old) in a pot and it is nice and small. The parents have one (10 year old) in a shady corner and it is 1.5m wide/high.

Nice trees in winter too, esp if set against a white wall.

L.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭dark_jedi_ire

thanks all,

kinda got what I needed to know as she Wanted to put in the the Front garden driectly in front of the window when she has a drawf willow (about 4 foot high that will stay that high) thinking this Would do the Same,, but from What Im reading it will get tall And block light so It will be potted instead,

any more info is great ,

Actually to add to this there are 2 different trees here on is salix contorta( the one Im talking about ) And 'Contorta' (Corylus avellana) otherwise none as corkschrew hazel Which from What I have Read only grow to about 2 mitres.. just to clear it up Im wondering if my readings of the salix contorta (twisted willow) as there`s very little info on it and anything I have found say it grow to 30 feet , so you Can imagine my delima :o)

Thanks again
    Rob

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

but from What Im reading it will get tall And block light so It will be potted instead,

Nah, it will only get tall if you don't cut it back. ;) And it certainly won't grow up quick because of the way the branches grow.

They are easily trained too to grow out wide rather than up if you'd rather that.

You can easily keep them under control. I think mine is in a 50cm pot and is a 50cm "sphere". Probably could do with a repotting and root trimming now that I think of it!

L.

Advertisement