Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you eat for lunch?

• 21-03-2006 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭

AS the time approaches 1pm my mind turns to the eternal bewilderment, cliffhanger, conundrum, crux, cryptogram, grabber, knot, mind-boggler, mystification etc. "What shall I have for lunch?" It gnaws at my nerves everyday as the seconds tick towards the Nuncheon...
    My office has a kitchen, but no food service. There is a Centra, Bon Espresso, Munchies, and poor-centra-clone in the vicinity.
    I have never gotten into the habit of preparing my lunch at home and bringing it in with me, so my midday meal is normally shop-bought - expensive and nutritionally poor.
    I crave insppiration and so I pose this question:
    What do you normally eat for lunch and do you have any suggestions on an cheap, easy lunch that isn't a sandwich (I have a thing against white/brown/boring sliced bread)?

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Our lunches are paid for by the company.. O'Briens come in every day with salads and sandwiches so unless I go out for lunch its O'Briens everyday.. I usually get a brown sandwich with chicken, a heap of salad and some swiss cheese.. I try to avoid the rolls and white bread even though I love them.. Too much carbs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

i always get a chicken fillet roll from spar.sometimes with swiss cheese, coleslaw(is that the right spelling), and sometimes stuffing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Usually a lovely Swiss and Salami sandwich or similar but of late I've taken to sushi. Yummy and healthy*

*maybe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

OP you sound like work in easties(east point)? I bring my own lunch since centra/rokoko/munchies are a bit expensive and there's always a queue and the hot food sits there for hours. My daily sammich is wholewheat bap + ham/beef, salad leaves, cheese, broco shoots and my fav pickalilli :D. I have a yoghurt with that too. Once you get into the habit of making your own lunch it takes no time at all and you save a fortune!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

If you have a microwave available you could save a fortune. Make yourself some pasta the night before and reheat it. Or eat it cold? Or buy yourself a ready meal if it's on special offer. Still way cheaper than buying hot food.

Sushi, Subway sammiches, homemade salads(such as tuna, wholewheat pasta, lettuce, mayo, sweetcorn, cucumber mixed together), soup in a thermos flask, leftover pizza, M&S do some lovely foods for surprisingly cheap. I found a really filling salad there(my fave is chicken, tomato, basil, pasta creamy stuff) for like £2 which is very cheap when you compare to a lot of places.

Oooh, another I like is couscous. That's nice cold. You can get a lot of flavoured ones these days and can then add meats and veg and shove it in a lunchbox.

Just gotta be creative!

EDIT: Crappy spelling

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Morrigan

I do work in Eastpoint, tk123. The choice of food is terrible. I get very jealous passing the buildings with all those guys in their warm and cheap canteens, as I trudge through the rain to get my overpriced sandwich/salad ;) Where do you get broco shoots? And do you make the piccalli yourself?

Thanks for the inspiration LadyLotts...I sometimes make my own lunch but I've a habit of leaving it in the fridge. I have such a bad memory.

I have the gear for making sushi at home. Just have to get some ingredients for fillings. I think I'll try making that next week :) And put a postit on the inside of my frontdoor to remind me to take it with me to work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I get the lot in Tescos!
    5 x rolls - €2.50
    Ham/Beef - €4.50 ish (i like the expensive one:rolleyes: )
    Cheese - €2 ish
    Salad - €2.50 - the eat me keep me one with 2 bags so it's not one back of wilted slime at the end of the week
    Brocco - €2 (lasts a few weeks)
    Piccalli - €3 (lasts weeks)
    5x Yogs - €2.50

It works out at about €3.50 a day so not too bad.

We have a canteen but the food is muck so you're not missing out on too much Morrigan!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Sushi is an art! You don't appreciate it fully until you attempt it yourself. This is the result of me attempting to be very careful and really taking my time:

15350411a313695183b319967292l.jpg

So basically don't expect your homemade sushi to look as pretty as the store bought kind! It'll taste nice but probably fall apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

For lunch i get the nicest sandwich in The Unicorn in town. Flat bread with pesto, tomato and mozerella, and then it varies either smoked salmon/tuna/salami. And its good for you, i think :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Morrigan

LadyLotts wrote:
    Sushi is an art! You don't appreciate it fully until you attempt it yourself. This is the result of me attempting to be very careful and really taking my time:

So basically don't expect your homemade sushi to look as pretty as the store bought kind! It'll taste nice but probably fall apart.

Lol! That's cool. Next time I make sushi I'm gonna take pictures of it too :D
    The trouble I had with mine was slicing it... I used a hot, dry knife and rinced it in boiling water after each slice but I still found it tough to slice cleanly through the seaweed :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement