Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hanging a large mirror

Options
  • 21-03-2006 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭

I have recently purchased a large mirror for the kitchen. 2.2m x .8m approx. The wall that it is to be fixed to is dry lined. No fixings came with the mirror, it weighs about 40kg approx. Would heavy duty plasterboard wall plugs do the job? Any suggestions welcome on the best way to hang this thing greatly appreciated.

D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

Hi dmck

Would not trust plugs and screws for anything that heavy. Woodies do a whole range of fasteners that are specifically designed for heavy duty items.

When I put the plasma TV on the wall I used a bolt type thing with a collar that expands into the block when you tighten.

You may get away with butterfly clips. These have spring wings that open up when you insert into the wall behind the board.

But check the packaging as they usually tell you the design weight

Garyh3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Don't be tempted to use an electric screwdriver.
    I did and well you can guess the rest.:(
    You need the sensitivity of a hand held screwdriver.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

For peace of mind, find the studs (vertical timbers) behind the plasterboard and screw into them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Muckmagnet

40 kg . thats one heavy mirror !! you can get mirror plates in D.I.Y Stores, they're a doo hickey that you screw to the back of the mirror frame near all the corners, and into the wall, they're meant to distribute the weight of a mirror around the frame , you can get heavy duty plugs but they're BIG, you'll be taking lumps out of your wall, why not try the standard red plugs and if they dont work then try the bigger ones

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Think they're for frameless mirrors. 40kg worth of mirror probably has a frame?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

This sorta job should do the trick
    http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=100067&ts=52983&id=11923
    They sell them in all B&Q type places... You can get heavy duty ones that say they hold up 40kgs each...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

My first choice would be to to go with colm_mcm and find the studs, also use three fixings to spread the load.

My second choice would be to drill through to the concrete block (if the walls are blocks) and use small expanding Rawl Bolts.

My third choice would be to call into your local plumbing supplier and ask for plastic toggle fixings (used to hang radiators) they are blue and white and expand like metal toggle bolt.

I would take care using the Screwfix product because they can weaken the plaster board around the edges which is OK for light weights like pictures but not 40 kg's.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭blazesoftware

Hi,

I'm looking for a similiar size mirror for a bathroom. Could you tel me where you sourced it from.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Also check to make sure that you aren't drilling into any electrical cables or water pipes. I hate timber frame houses for that reason, trying to find a stud etc. At least with concrete you can drill whereever you want and you aren't chopping down half the worlds forests.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

well unless your walls are wet plastered you are still going to have to find a stud (under the plasterboard)

• Advertisement
Advertisement