Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mirror Erection

• 21-03-2006 1:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

Thought that might grab your attention :D

Not too sure if this would even be the right forum for this... I live on a cul-de-sac which comes up to a t-junction onto a blind bend. The left hand side is a lot worse than the right. There are no signs from either side warning about the possible danger ahead. I would like to put up one of those convex wide-angle mirrors in the hope of seeing round the bend a bit...

I called my local friendly county council (Meath) and was quickly told 'that the council does not provide these as there is no funding for such items' and that I would have to buy it myself. I am wondering if this is a fob-off? Does thre council have an obligation to provide signs/mirrors? Even a sign would be better than nothing. Should I keep annoying them about it or give up the ghost and buy the damn mirror :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Possibly better in the commuting / transport forum, possibly better in politics, I don't know...
    Get a petition of names of people in the local area who think it would be benificial and give it to county council or local electee, try to get some presure on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

jaysus from the title i was expecting somthing very different... does a mirror make it look smaller or somthing....

is there a residents assoc you can contact or as p.pete said a local electee would be a good way to go... not sure how long it would take tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

it looks bigger in the mirror because when you look down on it, you don't see it in the proper perspective or some such story that i was told about 15 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Vinnie69

I can't find a mirror big enough!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,966 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

While these mirrors would be great in alot of places, alot of them end up getting broken by gangs of kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Funkstard

That has to be BS - surely the council has an obligation to provide necessary safety measures?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Drax wrote:
    ... I called my local friendly county council ...

Don't call (no record). Write. Point out the danger of death or serious injury.

If that doesn't work, get an elected representative on the case (by *writing* to them).

Do it soon.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Dont bother with the roads dept of your local county council. Complete waste of time.
    Better off with a local TD, a petition and if possible an article in a local newspaper.

Usually makes them realise they are "looking unreasonable again"......... specially if you were told to "buy it yourself" :rolleyes:

b

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I'm going to move this to Commuting/Transport. You'll be likely to get a more pertinent response in there and Pighead mightn't find the thread with the inviting title in there either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Is the Cul de Sac a public road. I don't think there is a legal obligation (Public Liability Act not fully in force). I think talk to your local councillors. Perhaps offer to fund the mirror if the council does the signs.

Find out from the roads department what the procedure is for requesting road measures.
    Vinnie69 wrote:
    I can't find a mirror big enough!:D
    Try a microscope then! :p

Tee hee hee http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054906906

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I am assuming that you are in a rural area. Arguably is the council gave you planning permission on this road they should have stipulated that the safety device is erected as a term. I don't think the council should be responsible to erect it though I am surprised there are no junction warning signs. The problem is that if you erect it then you are responsible for it, its upkeep and the public liability arrising from same.

If it safer to make, say, the left hand turn then this is the procedure you should adopt at all times and do an about turn elsewhere.

The speed limit would be 80KPH I assume on both roads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

Yep, rural area. We do not own the land where I'd want the mirror put up. turning left and doing a u-turn is not an option really as we have some pretty pissed off neighbours about 1/4 mile down the road coz its really the first place to turn! :D I am willing to put it up myself, as its really only my family and 1 other neighbour on the cul-de-sac. A farmer down the road owns the land as far as I know so I could have a chat with him for permission. I was just interested in what the council had to offer about such an idea...

My biggest fear is that some wandering scobies will smash the thing or rip it down a week after its put up! Sad really....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Airmail

I have seen cages on these mirrors which allow for the use of the mirror while preventing potential damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think approach the farmer, politely, explain you problem and say you'd prefer not to have an accident on your hands. I'm sure he won't either. You might even be able to agree something about cutting back hedges.

Advertisement