Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning Earphones

Options
  • 21-03-2006 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone knows can I return earphones I bought 3days ago in an electronic's shop(No point naming it, is there?).
    The reason I ask this question is because I bought a set of headphones in the same shop a few years ago and they didnt fit me properly/uncomfortable to wear. So I brought them back 2 days after I purchased them only to be told that Headphones/Earphones can not be exchanged/refunded, only replaced if faulty. I explained that they were unsuitable for my use and I would be happy with store credit even. They didnt budge in the end.

Anyway I basically did the same thing again last Sunday. The earphones I bought are basically unwearable by me. Enormous ears would be needed to make these things fit :eek: So once again I'm left with a piece of equipment that is useless to me.

Are they within their rights not to offer a refund or even store credit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I would imagine that they are in within their rights to refuse a refund, especially considering that the items are not faulty.
    If you had've gone into them saying the usual, "somebody bought these for me as a present" spiel you might've had a better chance, but by the sounds of it, you actually opened them and they probably wouldn't buy that excuse.

I know this is a real hindsight question, but if you knew that you might have difficulty getting a pair to fit you, why didn't you ask if you could try a pair on beforehand? Or you could've asked them beforehand if you could've returned them if they didn't fit. I think a lot of shops see earphones as falling into the same category as underwear with regards to returns.

Were the headphones expensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

BaZmO* wrote:
    I would imagine that they are in within their rights to refuse a refund, especially considering that the items are not faulty.
    If you had've gone into them saying the usual, "somebody bought these for me as a present" spiel you might've had a better chance, but by the sounds of it, you actually opened them and they probably wouldn't buy that excuse.

I know this is a real hindsight question, but if you knew that you might have difficulty getting a pair to fit you, why didn't you ask if you could try a pair on beforehand? Or you could've asked them beforehand if you could've returned them if they didn't fit. I think a lot of shops see earphones as falling into the same category as underwear with regards to returns.

Were the headphones expensive?

They were €50 unfortunately. I would of definitely tried them on but somehow I doubt they would allow that becuase they probably wouldnt be able to resell them once the package is opened. Like you said if I went in saying they were bought as a present then I'd imagine their first question would be 'why did you open them?'. I havent actually tried to bring them back yet but I probably will just to see what they say?

I'm almost tempted to break them and then bring them back and hope they don't have anymore in stock so I can get an exchange :cool:

I know this is no use to you but when I was over in Germany before Christams I was in a big Electrical/Music store like a cross between Dixons and Virgin and in one of the parts of the shop they had a whole wall of headphones all hooked up so that you could try them on before you bought. Pity there wasn't something like that over here.

I bought a really expensive pair of Seinnheisers years ago and they weren't the greatest of fits either but like yourself I couldn't return them, so I feel your pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I'm almost tempted to break them and then bring them back and hope they don't have anymore in stock so I can get an exchange :cool:
    If they are broken you can demand your money back, no need for a replacement. You do not have to break them, just say they are broken and distort when you pass a 2039Hz signal through them, i.e. bull**** them. If they test them just insist they do not work on your PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

I don't know if this is an issue but under health and safety rules the head phones in classes must be replaced for each person. It is like underwear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Well I brought them back and said they were faulty. I had a big spiel ready and everything but they just gave me a refund straight away no questions asked.
    Much ado about nothing really in the end :rolleyes:
    Thanks for everyone's advice anyway :D

Well I brought them back and said they were faulty. I had a big spiel ready and everything but they just gave me a refund straight away no questions asked.
    Much ado about nothing really in the end :rolleyes:
    Thanks for everyone's advice anyway :D
    Haha! It's always the way. It's like when you're ready for a big row with your Boss or your GF and they just agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

BaZmO* wrote:
    wall of headphones all hooked up so that you could try them on before you bought. Pity there wasn't something like that over here..

Thats all well and good for over head styles headphones, but theres not a hope in hell in-ears that have been in hundreds of other people ears would be oing near mine.

Stekelly wrote:
    Thats all well and good for over head styles headphones, but theres not a hope in hell in-ears that have been in hundreds of other people ears would be oing near mine.
    Ah Jesus!! C'mon that'd just be mental. :confused: And besides, you'd hardly need a whole wall!! ;)

Advertisement