Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden petrol/elec shredder

Options
  • 21-03-2006 3:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Was hoping to get some advice...

My parents have a big back garden and they would like to trim, cut down & clear alot of trees, bushes, leaves, etc.

I am effectively looking for a no-nonsense garden shredder which can handle a lot of green-leafed waste and small branches <1inch thick, process it quickly and safely into compacted mulch/waste (whatever you like to call it)

I was looking around at 'heavy duty' elec (2000-2400Watt) shredders in DIY centres, but I dont think they will be good enough for what we need ?

Can someone offer advice on what brands, dealers, etc please? I dont want to buy the wrong thing and be sorry later.

I am in Cork area.
    Thanks, James.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

We have a Bosch 2000 ATX (or something like that) and it can easily handle stuff up to about 1 inch with no problems at all. It can get a bit bunged up with lots of green leafy waste though, but then they warn against that in the handbook.

If it's a one off thing, you might want to look into hiring one, or you could get someone with one of those big petrol powered yokes that swallow anything and everything to come round and do it for you after you've done all the prining work yourselves. Try landscape gardeners and those kinds of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

I purchased a Mountfield 2200 watt shredder form B&Q last year. Find it very good and no problems coping with 1" branches etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

I use a Draper electric shredder, bought in Tralee, it has no problem coping with 1" branches. I use it to shred lots of things for the composter, so it doesn't sit idle too long!

Advertisement