Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

carpet fitting

Options
  • 21-03-2006 3:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Just had carpet fitted in 2 rooms, and gone up to check it after the guys left (quickly may I add) and they have left all the cut of bits. :mad: Should they not have taken them with them? There is about 4 bin bags worth I recon.

thanks,

Pip

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭charlesanto

Bet they took all the large off-cuts that they'd be able to use/sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

This seems to be the standard practice ! Are any of the offcuts good enough for making into mats/rugs.

I could give you the phone no of a lady in Artane who overlocks carpets.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭amerden

Put them all in bin bags and go back to where you purchased your carpets and just say to them, "YOUR fitters left these after them", then just leave the shop without getting into any conversation. Job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

This kind of thing pisses me off too ... had the whole house fitted with wooden floors recently and they left enough off-cuts and stuff to almost fill a small skip!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Apip99

What gits! I think I may just do what amerden and take it back in bags and leave them there.

At my work we have to take all our rubbish with us, but I guess carpets don't class as rubbish!!!

Going to speak to council and see what they have to say. I'll keep you posted as to what they say.

regards,

Pip

• Advertisement

What gits! I think I may just do what amerden and take it back in bags and leave them there.

At my work we have to take all our rubbish with us, but I guess carpets don't class as rubbish!!!

Going to speak to council and see what they have to say. I'll keep you posted as to what they say.

regards,

Pip

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Corkey123

Whoa there horsey

Lets think this out. Is this carpet not yours, did you not buy it, why would you think the fitter, who is likely to be contracted by the carpet shop, should take the remnants away?

While I do sympathise, I don't think you have any right to return the remnants after all you did enter into a contract to buy the carpet. Unless of course there was accessive waste i.e. they brought far in excess of what they needed.

Anyway Apip99 should you not be diggin' foundations at this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Rusty Knight

Martin C..................the voice of calm and reason.

R.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Whoa there horsey

Lets think this out. Is this carpet not yours, did you not buy it, why would you think the fitter, who is likely to be contracted by the carpet shop, should take the remnants away?

While I do sympathise, I don't think you have any right to return the remnants after all you did enter into a contract to buy the carpet. Unless of course there was accessive waste i.e. they brought far in excess of what they needed.

Anyway Apip99 should you not be diggin' foundations at this time.
    I'd have to agree with this - it is your carpet after all. At the same time it's a bummer to walk into your newly carpeted room and see a load of rubbish!:(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Whoa there horsey

I disagree - if you paid the carpet seller for a fitted carpet then you should not expect any more or less than that. OK they have to bring excess to allow for fitting etc. but at the end of the day that's their problem.

It would be different, of course, if you bought the carpet first and then privately contracted a fitter - at that point the off cuts would be your problem.

I'd bring it back to the shop - or else demand the cost of the bin charges from them.

• Advertisement

stevec wrote:
    I disagree - if you paid the carpet seller for a fitted carpet then you should not expect any more or less than that. OK they have to bring excess to allow for fitting etc. but at the end of the day that's their problem.

It would be different, of course, if you bought the carpet first and then privately contracted a fitter - at that point the off cuts would be your problem.

I'd bring it back to the shop - or else demand the cost of the bin charges from them.

Carpet is bought by square metre (or yard) they deliver all of it to you because you paid for it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

crosstownk wrote:
    Carpet is bought by square metre (or yard) they deliver all of it to you because you paid for it.

So if I have a room which is 3.5m x 4m then I assume I pay for 14sq m fitted. I'm not going to pay for 17sq m to allow for their offcuts!!

correct me if I'm wrong (I've never actually bought fitted carpet) but I don't see why you should pay for their insurance against them getting measurements wrong. Even if the amount you buy is rounded up to the nearest sq m / yd then in theory you should only ever have bought less than 1 sq m of excess.

stevec wrote:
    So if I have a room which is 3.5m x 4m then I assume I pay for 14sq m fitted. I'm not going to pay for 17sq m to allow for their offcuts!!

correct me if I'm wrong (I've never actually bought fitted carpet) but I don't see why you should pay for their insurance against them getting measurements wrong. Even if the amount you buy is rounded up to the nearest sq m / yd then in theory you should only ever have bought less than 1 sq m of excess.
    Here's an example - my front room is 6m x 5m. So I buy carpet - enough for 30m^2. However, my fireplace (hearth) steps out .75m from one wall as is 1.75m long. Therefore, I really need 28.875m^2. But if I want the fitted carpet to be continuous (no seams etc) I need to order 30m^2 knowing that 1.125m^2 will be waste. But if I buy it it's mine so theoretically if the carpet fitters walked out with my off-cut they would be stealing from me!!

crosstownk wrote:
    Here's an example - my front room is 6m x 5m. So I buy carpet - enough for 30m^2. However, my fireplace (hearth) steps out .75m from one wall as is 1.75m long. Therefore, I really need 28.875m^2. But if I want the fitted carpet to be continuous (no seams etc) I need to order 30m^2 knowing that 1.125m^2 will be waste. But if I buy it it's mine so theoretically if the carpet fitters walked out with my off-cut they would be stealing from me!!

OK thats a fair point - and you end up with a nice protective rug for in front of the fire, however, my point was that you shouldn't end up having to pay for disposing of the rubbish created when what you asked for and paid for was a fitted carpet. If you want to keep some of the offcuts then fair enough - you shouldn't be lumbered with them as default though.

How would you feel if you bought a bag of chips from the local chipper and were handed the peelings as well - just because the guy who made them included them in the price.

I think it's a cop-out on the carpet suppliers part so they don't end up paying for the disposal.
    It's the same deal when you buy a TV or Fridge - you can return all the packaging and styrofoam it came in and the supplier can't refuse to take it.

Yeah only carpet comes on a roll - so they have you by the balls. You might get away with it if you had a pattern that could be stitched without being obvious but imagine how much labour would be involved! Cheaper to dispose of the waste.

As I said, I've never had to buy carpet - I will be soon though for the stairs and landing. I'll make sure that it's understood that they don't leave rubbish behind though.

This sounds like a job for Eddie Hobbs....

I think the carpet people treat 'hall, stairs & landing' differently - I'm not sure.

MartinCorcoran:Wish I was digging, but sat at home with a trapped nerve in my back, and even the thought of getting up from the sofa fills me with pain, let alone swinging a pick axe.

Got a solution for the off cuts. I have my lean to at the side of the house that I build, and I'm going to use the carpet as insulation before I board the inside.

One mans rubbish..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

stevec wrote:
    It's the same deal when you buy a TV or Fridge - you can return all the packaging and styrofoam it came in and the supplier can't refuse to take it.
    That's not true, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Gordon Gekko

The shop is obliged to take the packaging unless they are members of a recycling scheme such as Repak.

Yep, you guessed it - the vast majority of them are members of Repak, and are therefore under no obligation to accept packaging waste from their customers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The shop is obliged to take the packaging unless they are members of a recycling scheme such as Repak.

Yep, you guessed it - the vast majority of them are members of Repak, and are therefore under no obligation to accept packaging waste from their customers.
    I don't get that, would it not make more sense for them to take if they were members of a recycling scheme such as Repak? Therefore they'd have somewhere to get rid of the waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Gordon Gekko

I know, doesn't seem logical, but the way I understand it is that the shops make a financial contribution to Repak, who then provide recycling facilities to industry and the public, therefore theoretically recycling the same amount of material that the shop would recycle if it were to take the packaging directly from the public.

Advertisement