Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unspeak

Options
  • 21-03-2006 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

I just bought the book Unspeak by Stephen Poole. About halfway through. Tis ok so far, a bit too much bush/blair bashing for my liking. Anyone else read it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 globalconspirac

Havn't read the book but heard an interview with the author on the ryan turbidy show. he is or was a Guardian writer so I suppose you are going to get a bit of Bush/Blair bashing.

Was very interesting though. my least favourite unspeak is Collateral damage which I feel cheapens human life. Also the example of Coalition of the willing which suggests everybody outside the nations that attacked Iraq where either unwilling or just didn't care, which is very untrue.

I don't know if this is unspeak but the changing of enemies to fundamentalist Islamics. In chechnya the media always described the fighters there as rebels until Putin's government decided to call them Islamic fundamentalist terrorists. I feel this gave him more power to do what he wanted in Chechnya due to the fact The US where fighting there own terrorists and could not speak out about his attrocities without facing there own.

the way I see these phrases are that they are very powerful PR/spin tools and the more thay are repeated the more we accept them without really taking in what they mean.

Will try and read the book though and have a proper discussion.

Advertisement