Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Civil Engineering

• 21-03-2006 3:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Hi

I wonder has anyone any experience/information/advive about becoming a civil engineer. I have a degree in electronic engineering 2.1 and am looking for a conversion course to civil engineering(post grad hdip etc..).

I have seen a few in the UK that are of interest to me but am wondering would they be too difficult to complete not coming from a civil engineering background.

anyone have any advice?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

i think the best you can hope for is to go into 2nd or 3rd year in civil if you can get credits, don't believe there is any post grad to train you, certainly not one that will give you the correct qualifications..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭cargrouch

strong1, this is something I would be interested in - could you post any info you find? Also if anyone here knows anyone that has done any good "conversion" or "top-up", could they post some info?

I think I have heard of some grads from UCC going into Civ Eng in third year, will check it out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 strong1

Second time writing this :mad: so making it brief... Wrote to Brighton uni asking about there Civil eng Msc and these were the responses I got:

We have had some successful graduates of the course who were not Civil Engineering Undergraduates. Provided you are capable at maths and prepared to do supplemental study to make up for lack of prior civil engineering training then you should be able to complete the course.

And

There is a chronic skills shortage in the civil engineering industry so I don’t think you will have a problem getting a job. However, you may find that becoming a Chartered Engineer is not straightforward. I suggest you contact the Institution of Civil Engineers to ask for more details on routes to corporate membership. I should add that you don’t need to be Chartered to practice

Are you serious about converting to civil engineering? If ya get any info please post it too

Thanks

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

When I was in Trinity there was a girl who didnt do engineering who did a post grad in civil engineering (i think). She may have had a science back ground (there for things like enviro might be easy for her to handle). She worked in the Civil Library in 2004.

It can be done. I had a boss who had both mech and civil qualifications. But that was in America so I dont really know what the story would be here.

Advertisement