Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jackie Skelley's

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

And good luck to you Megfi. I'm confident that you will be happy at the Marriot.
    Everyone is different tastewise, we all have our opinions, blah blah blah.
    Lets face it sometimes people are just plain wrong. Wrong to accept low standards and pay hansomely for it. Wrong to support dangerous/health threathening businesses. Wrong to defend the indefencible.Wrong to say something is ok because there is or was nothing else.
    It's easy to say that the people who regularly dine in poor bars and restaurants (and pay the same as those of us who wont) are doing no harm to anyone else. Truth is that they are. Because they send a message to the proprietors that what they are doing is ok and people will accept and pay for it. The same applies to gyms and health clubs. Despite the litany of negative observations on this thread, JS have continued their membership drive throughout the year, pushing for new members to rip off when they are not coping or caring about their current members. People need to stand up and be heard instead of lieing down and taking it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭DTinthegrove

"Wrong to accept low standards and pay hansomely for it"

In my opinion its cheap and the standards are what I expect. If I bought Tescos value bread it would be the same.

"Wrong to support dangerous/health threathening businesses"

Never had that experience myself, so I can't comment.

"Wrong to defend the indefencible.Wrong to say something is ok because there is or was nothing else."

I have given my children something they didn't have two years ago, they can now swim, that not OK its great!! That was all I wanted to acheive and I have.

"People need to stand up and be heard instead of lieing down and taking it."

I agree, BUT people have different expectations and different needs from a gym and I am sure SOME people find JS acheives what they want from it.

However, they are probably a little put off posting here as they are likely to get "bashed" by people who are telling them they are wrong, wrong wrong. (actually there were 4 or more wrongs I think) People go to church for that :D

In my case, JS does what I want it to do at a price I am willing to pay. full stop. Others want more, will pay more and will go else where. I don't say that you are wrong in doing that, would never dream of it.

Lets encourage people to post and share points of view, not tell them they are wrong wrong wrong, wrong.

[/QUOTE]

You've taken my points a little personally and contradicted a couple of your own. For instance didn't you say that there was an absence of lifeguards but that it wasn't important as parents should mind their own children in the pool(or something to that effect)?. Thats not good enough in my book where safety is concerned.
    You've never noticed the pool being dirty? Well maybe it's clean now. I don't know. Havn't been in it since the Joe Duffy Poo in the pool episode.
    I'm glad that your kids can swim and that's great.
    I stand by my assertions that JS is a filthy dangerous dump staffed by couldn't care less people and kept running by tacky sales people making promises that their establishment does not deliver. I set my bar by the standards of other gyms of which I have membership and which are not as dear as you might think.
    I believe that we live in a country where people do not complain enough when standards are appalling. JS Greystones IS my opinion appalling.
    So there is no need to go to Church. I never said that you in particular were wrong X4. I would question whether you have read the many other posts which would concur with my views on JS and its practices. No offence intended.

"You've taken my points a little personally and contradicted a couple of your own. For instance didn't you say that there was an absence of lifeguards but that it wasn't important as parents should mind their own children in the pool(or something to that effect)?. Thats not good enough in my book where safety is concerned"

Rubish. A child can sink to the bottem before you know it even if there is a life guard. You want someone to look after your own kids by a pool? I have saved 2 kids, mouth to mouth, because there parents decide it was the pool's responsiblity! (NOT JS by the way) Get real, stay with you kids if they can't swim it can happen in seconds!!

"You've never noticed the pool being dirty? Well maybe it's clean now. I don't know. Havn't been in it since the Joe Duffy Poo in the pool episode."

This happens in many pools, its an every week happening in most pools around the UK. It's be blown out of proportion because we have never had (many) swimming pools in ireland. Believe u me the chemicals that go in would make 2 dozen rats clean on enter. One kids poo is nothing to the other body fluids that go in a pool if you care to think about it. The warmer the pool the worse it gets!! JS being a cool training pool is relatively OK compare to others.

"I stand by my assertions that JS is a filthy dangerous dump staffed by couldn't care less people and kept running by tacky sales people making promises that their establishment does not deliver. I set my bar by the standards of other gyms of which I have membership and which are not as dear as you might think."

Great, i think thats great for you. I have nothing but a smile and a hello as walk through from the staff. Don't "be little" those that are a members of JS.... We may be all glad you go else where.

"I believe that we live in a country where people do not complain enough when standards are appalling."

Correct, public transport, Mr "Hide it in a cuboard" Bertie, Health service, buy it before it to late...i'll give 100% mortage over 35 years etc etc. BUT for some, JS provides a service that they are happy with. Like Tescos value lines, nothing wrong with that.

"JS Greystones IS my opinion appalling"

Thanks for your opinion, but for some; it might do something they want it to do for the price thay want to pay. If not they will cancel, taking in to account the terms and conditions.

"So there is no need to go to Church. I never said that you in particular were wrong X4. I would question whether you have read the many other posts which would concur with my views on JS and its practices. No offence intended.

Yes i've read other posts and there is nothing that makes me feel like WE don't do OK out of JS. "It did (does) what it says on the can". I don't expect anything more.

Simple as that...note the none aggressive natue of saying what i feel.

Aggressive negative posts always stop others from giving there point of view. So stop doing the wrong wrong wrong wrong Mr diplomat:D Pity Please!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Earlsie

Have to agree with Hammiepeters that people do not complain enough when something is not up to scratch and I'm not talking about a long paragraph rant within this thread.

I left JS the middle of last year but before I left I sent them a letter outlining my Issues with the gym and there staff, I got no responce which tells me a lot about there customer service.

I am 34 now and have been to many gyms (South Dublin & Wicklow) over the last few years and by far in my opinion JS Greystones as a whole is the worst I have trained in.

OK Rant Over !! :D

I have not read all posts as you kinda get a little bored half way through reading the same gripes but I'm happy some people are getting what they want from this gym, I really wanted too as it's my local gym.
    c'est la vie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭leaba

DT: When you say that JS is cheap, what are you comparing it to. In my experience its at the top end of the gym membership price bracket. Okay, some "boutique" gyms which are very small might be more expensive, but when comparing like with like IMO it's dearer than other gyms.

You are right that they are providing something that wasn't here before, but it looks to me like they're milking it while they're the only big gym in town.

I'm comparing it to other countries in europe where we have lived I guess. Half the price of the UK and 30% cheaper than France. BUT thats my experience and other people would have different ones.

All I'm says is its affordable for us, we have got a benefit from it....so it may be suitable for some people where expectations meet needs. If thats not the case for some then they will go elsewhere. Fine, no problem at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭dubrunner

What a ridiculous comment to make?

Surely by stating that someone nearly caused that is libellous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

T18, it wouldn't have mattered if it was for all JS gyms and not just the Greystones branch. What you had written was libellous of the company and that's why your post was removed.

Didn't get to read tour post T18 so not sure what happened to you at JS Rathfarnham. If your complaint relates to poo in the pool, absence of a lifeguard and staff that couldn't give a stuff about a near accident; rest assured that those conditions are consistent with our very own JS here in Greystones. I am personally not concerned about libel actions because my own dealings with JS are backed with written records, emails, etc. and would welcome them to any courtroom any day. When the new community centre opens 1km from our dump, I will be counting the days and good riddance. And for everyones record. Just because a club is private does not give it a licence not to have a lifeguard on duty at all times. Whatever about the law. It is a decent precaution where children are concerned and is always the case at the Glenview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I am personally not concerned about libel actions because my own dealings with JS are backed with written records, emails, etc. and would welcome them to any courtroom any day.

Hammiepeters, the problem is that it is boards.ie who get sued (hence the sticky regarding a certain events company in every forum). I think it's because boards.ie is considered the publisher, or something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ru

I was a member and quit over a year ago, i went through the whole mess of being charged and extra two months and am happy (personally) to be done with them.

Then this morning i received a text message stating "You have been chosen for our Ex-member special. Must join today NO JOINING FEE AND ONLY EUR59p/m. Ends tonight @9.30. Call 201xxxx now."

Is this SPAM?

IS SPAM Illegal?

Can they use my number like this?

Ru

eoin_s wrote: »
    Hammiepeters, the problem is that it is boards.ie who get sued (hence the sticky regarding a certain events company in every forum). I think it's because boards.ie is considered the publisher, or something like that.
    Sorry

Ru wrote: »

Then this morning i received a text message stating "You have been chosen for our Ex-member special. Must join today NO JOINING FEE AND ONLY EUR59p/m. Ends tonight @9.30. Call 201xxxx now."

Ru
    Sounds like you better get on quick. But bring a net to catch the floaters.:)

Sorry

No bothers at all, just said it so people know that there is a reason why we have to be so careful of what is said here.
    Sounds like you better get on quick. But bring a net to catch the floaters.:)

ewww

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 T18

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 wellbeing krys

I think the gyms are great i hear a lot about people complaining kids are in the gym. Jackie skelly do run programs specifically for kids do we want our kids to be obese????? i think its a great idea for parents aswell take yer kids with you???

Parkwest facilities are great nice gym clean all above board and the membership deal is very handy so i can use it when i go to work and on my days off the gym closer to my home.

overall my experience of the Jackie skelly gym is great and im sure the hundreds and thousands of other users agree if they werent, they wouldnt be in business

P.s. I do not work for jackie skelly im just a happy customer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I think the gyms are great i hear a lot about people complaining kids are in the gym. Jackie skelly do run programs specifically for kids do we want our kids to be obese????? i think its a great idea for parents aswell take yer kids with you???

Parkwest facilities are great nice gym clean all above board and the membership deal is very handy so i can use it when i go to work and on my days off the gym closer to my home.

overall my experience of the Jackie skelly gym is great and im sure the hundreds and thousands of other users agree if they werent, they wouldnt be in business

Hi Jackie!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

loyatemu wrote: »
    Hi Jackie!

:D God i hate the Place cant wait for my contract to end :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Bosie

Hi all,
    is it possible to take on someones contract in Jackie S. Gym?

looking for 3-5 month contract.

PM if you're interested.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

I'm in JS Ballsbridge, anyone else there? Opinions?

LolaDub wrote: »

Best off asking in the Dublin or Fitness forums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Suepee

You can join JS on a 3 month contract, but be warned, they don't stop taking your money unless you give them 1 month notice. I am currently in a battle with them as they took an extra €95 awhen I didn't give the notice.
    I would not recommend the gym, there are far better out there and in my experience their attitude to their members leaves a lot to be desired.

Ans so say All of us (or most anyway), yet they still suck people in. I pay far more for Glenview but really appreciate the value and quality. My membership expires this month so I'm waiting to see what the new sports centre has got. Anyone any idea when it opens?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Be very sure when you join that you will see out the whole year/6 mths whatever..... they literally will not stop hounding you untill they get their pound of flesh

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

parkwest is great ? the place is dirty mens changing rooms are manky equipment is broken are in a state of disrepair i use the gym mainly durning lunch and cant wait for my membership to be up as they place is a joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Folks try and keep the discussion on JS in Greystones only please.

If you wish to air grievances about any other branch, you can post up in the fitness forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 King_Carlos

LolaDub wrote: »

I am also in JS in Ballsbridge, find it a better gym than Charlesland, as I go there at lunchtime when there are no kids. In saying that I am all in favour of kids using the gym, we need to get them and keep them active.

Still use the one out here though every now and again, but the amount of posers (just work on chest and arms, no legs or back) there has grown each time I go!!!!! If you guys are big enough to lift the weights you're big enough to put them back!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Wow. Quality input.

Care to explain why?

Anyone else who's opined about it previously has said it was great.
    I worked there.

It isn't a place i'd recommend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭esharknz

Looked around for a gym to join 12 months ago. Looked at JS as well as another one. Chose the other one. Foolishly I gave JS my phone number in order to get a free trial, still getting calls from their number, the other day I had 3 missed calls from them and another today. Has happened a number of times over the last year too.

Advertisement