Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Oak....

Options
  • 21-03-2006 3:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hi all

We purchased red oak doors, frames and arch for our new build. But am looking for advice....

1. Will red oak (stained) nice with my walnut kitchen?

2. What type of wooden floors would look nice with it - was hoping to go for walnut?

3. Was thinking bout a 2 tone wood stairs - what could I put with red oak taht would provide a contrast?

4. Finally, has anyone any experience of staining red oak - I'm looking for a nice dark colour (not mahogoney dark though - something onto walnut!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Soledad

I think a juxtaposition of light and dark woods looks nice rather than opting for all the same colour.
    I mean if you think about it in nature light and dark wood co-exists and look nice so why not inside.
    I too have a walnut kitchen and have red oak doors, floors and stairs. I went for white skirting and architraves to help define the different areas.
    I actually went for polished porcelain flooring in the kitchen to set off the darkness of the walnut flooring.
    If you look on this forum you will see a post re which timber for stairs and the different types are discussed.

I have no experince of staining wood but why not get an off cut and stain it different colours until you get the desired effect.

Advertisement