Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW F650 GS Dakar - Importing

• 21-03-2006 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

Hi.

After considering the Varadaro option I've decided to see what BMW F650s are available abroad.

There are loads of F650 GS Dakars available in Germany and there's a few in the UK as well. (ref: AutoTrader.co.uk & www.mobile.de)

A few questions:
    1) Has anyone got one of these bikes?
    2) Are they reliable?
    3) Would you buy one privately?
    4) What should I look out for when importing one?
    5) Do the AA do a bike inspection?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Well I'd look on motoscout if you're lookin in Germany. A huuuuuge selection of everything in Germany. Lots of bikes have never even seen the rain over there!

You won't be able to ride it back though! A provisional is no good outside Ireland. You'll need a fully qualified mate to ride it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭exactiv

I wonder how much it'd cost to ship it back...

The problem would be that no private seller is going to bother stripping it and shipping it for you. A dealer might, but at a price I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Joe Duffy has a used one. A snip at 10,500. :eek:

Maddocks have a few F650GS' (but no Dakars) ranging from 6.2k-8.9k.

Gorey Bikes has a Dakar for 6.2k (2001).... Scary money..

There's a few more listed in BikeBuyers Guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭leef23

I’m looking for one of these or even just the GS 650 myself.
    I’ve been keeping an eye on the ones for sale on ebay.co.uk
    But the prices of the one's in Germany are much better.

I’m seriously considering getting a one way flight to Germany and driving/ferry it back.

• Advertisement

leef23 wrote:
    I’m looking for one of these or even just the GS 650 myself.
    I’ve been keeping an eye on the ones for sale on ebay.co.uk
    But the prices of the one's in Germany are much better.

I’m seriously considering getting a one way flight to Germany and driving/ferry it back.
    Do it during the summer and it'd be an experience in itself. See a bit of Germany/France/Britain by bike. T'would be a nice little trip as well aspicking up a better bike for less money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭exactiv

was gonna buy it myself, joe duffy motors have a used '02 dakar with extras for 5,500. but I can't afford it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

go on go for an africa twin, their cooler :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Garibaldi

Will you be servicing it yourself? BMW dealer charges are ...... ehhh ...... relatively large. If you're prepared for that, then fair enough.

Hey buddy, can you spare me a dime? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,800 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Garibaldi wrote:
    BMW dealer charges are ...... ehhh ...... relatively large.

....even if you're not servicing it yourself, the F series doesn't use a BMW engine anyway, so why bother going there? The engine is the Rotax 650 as used by Aprilia in the Pegaso, with a few differences.

No reason any 'normal' bike shop can't handle it.

As for bringing one in......well, only dealers will crate it for you, or strap to a pallet for a courier to bring it. Cost for one from Munich to Irl is about Eur400+VAT. From someplace like the Ruhr valley, about 100 less.

.....I've had an F650 Funduro, and my wife had an F650ST. Both good, light. Well built, very cheap to run. Not the happiest bike chugging around town in a tall gear though, it's one of the few big singles that just likes to be thrashed though, the more revs the better it likes it. Most un-single like. Couldn't fault them, really.

And, as they haven't changed much over the years, and older one is even better value. ST's in particular don't hold their value as well as the Dakar or GS, but actually ride/handle better on the road. The last of the F650ST sold in the UK, the chain driven one, came as standard with luggage, heated grips and a few other bits and pieces - I believe they were all silver in colour. The official model was called the F650FL. They'd be a seriously good buy now as they were heavily discounted when new.........there should be loads for sale in the UK, or try the BMW Club.

http://www.ciao.co.uk/BMW_F650ST__Review_42382

http://www.trevorgeorge.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/john_bowditch.htm

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
Advertisement