Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

know anything about Internet Freelancing?

Options
  • 21-03-2006 4:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows anything about internet freelancing setups like rentacoder or guru?

I'm not bothered about making loadsamoney, just a few quid here and there while building up experience with lots of different technolgies would be wondrous.

Good idea/bad idea?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Irish based?
    done before - freelanceireland.ie, irishdev.com, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 hermann

Are the irish based sites better than the global ones?

I heard some of the global ones like rentacoder are very poorly paid. I was just wondering whether they are worth the effort, mainly because I want to teach myself a few new languages like python and javascript, and if i could get paid a wee bit while doing it that would be great. Did you have a good experience with the irish ones?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Are you looking to make one of these sites or to sell your abilities through one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 hermann

sorry i should have been clearer, i'm looking to sell my abilities through one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

TBH, it really depends on how marketable your skills are and how much in demand they are.

These days you really something to make you stand out against the rest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

On the international sites the rates are very low (as you are competing with people from countries with poor rates of pay, and often against companies who can benifit from economies of scale). For me it's definately not worth it, but if you just want to get paid while you develop some experience it may not be bad. Have a look at the previous jobs on the site and see how much they went for then guesstimate the effort involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭nuttz

Ph3n0m wrote:
    These days you really something to make you stand out against the rest

What would you consider would make someone stand out? experience? particular skills?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

I would say a combination of both - because from previous experience there is nothing worse then getting someone in to do a job and only finding out that they either have no real world experience or quite simply dont have the skills I was looking for in the first place.

Not only that, you have to realise that its is a very open and competitive market out there - especially on a global scale. Best bet really is to concentrate on either a localised market (Ireland) or say a focused group of potential clients (like all doctors in Ireland), who may be interested in a product or service you offer

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

I know somebody who uses rentacoder on a regular basis for website design and is happy with the people from it and constantly uses them. The money they are paid for the Web Design work is very small, 500-800 Eur for a 5000 E-Commerce Website with a Content Management System.

You're better off trying to set up your own Limited Company if you are confident in your own development abilities.

Advertisement