Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

20 foot joists

Options
  • 21-03-2006 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm desigining my dream garage at the moment, in the vain hope that the planning people might let me build something like it.

I'm hoping for a 30x20 foot building with a loft for storage.

However I've been pondering the joists required for such a task, 20 feet is a long joist is it not?

are we still using solid wood joists in ireland or have we moved on to the engineered type joists that the yanks use. I know i was referring someone on to itec just a week or two ago, but that was for pretty looking stuff, i'm thinking the joists i have seen are essentially a wooden RSJ. they have an OSB spine with 2x2 or 3x3 fixed on both sides of the OSB top and bottom

http://www.cwc.ca/products/EWP/i-joists/introduction.php

just pondering really, I have two hours driving every day and my current thoughts relate to a garage (i've decided to only get one container, and to try and keep it a temorary measure too)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi JohnBoy,

There is a company supplying the type of beam you describe, I remember seeing them somewhere possibly a supplier of Glulam beams had them.

Sorry for the memory lapse but you could try an email to Smartply as they are most likely supplying the OSB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

but am i right in saying thats the only way to span 20 feet without concrete/steel joists?

Advertisement