Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gilera runner problems

• 21-03-2006 5:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Quick question('s) regarding my moped which is a pile of crap.Basically for about the last 6 months the bike has been causing major problems as follows:

-electric starter wont start the bike.It turns over but no start(unless you put a new sparkplug in then it works once before going back to not working).

-when allowed to idle at traffic lights the bike cuts out unless you keep revving it.Then when the light goes green theres no power.The bike makes a choked sound and struggles to get going.One of two things happens next.It either clears up and revs to bits for ages(still no power) b4 gradually picking up pace or the revs go extremely low and the bike nearly cuts out b4 gradually picking up pace.This is a real problem as with an electric starter that doesnt work I have to put the bike on the stant and kickstart it.Tied in with this problem is fuel consumption.The bike is guzzeling petrol.I get 130km on a full tank.Used to get around 220km.(im thinking worn piston rings and a dirty carb for this but my bikeshop says theyre fine)

-what appears to be the headset bearings have worn so when i pull the brakes the handlebars shift forward about 2-3mm making the front end very unstable.This also causes really bad oversteer(ive ended up on the wrong side of the road(narrow roads up in sandyford) a few times luckily with noone comming the other way).The guys at the bikeshop where I get it serviced(and its been out to them 3 times in the last 6 month with no solutions- they cant find anything wrong aparently) said this problem can only be fixed by replacing the suspension as its cast and cant be rebuilt.Anyone know if theres truth to that or are they just blowing smoke up my ass.

If anyone has any Ideas what could be causing these problems it would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Your bike sounds like it is running rich. The carb(s) need to be balanced. The reason the new spark plug works once and then won't start the bike again is because the bike is running rich so it is fouling the plugs with petrol and then they can't produce enough spark. The bike is flooding itself while it is at the lights, that is why when you take off it has no power but it clears itself and you get the power back! Again the bike running rich explains why it guzzling petrol!

Also, your idle speed could be a bit low, which will also lead to the bike cutting out while it is stopped!

As for the head bearings being gone, i would be surprised if you have to replace your whole suspension, but i could be wrong. What bike shop is telling you this? If it is the case that the suspension needs to changed....go to cityspares and get the parts there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 insomniac_32

Cheers for the response.Ill take the carb out and take a look (well Ill get someone who knows exactly what theyre doing to have a look). Regarding the bikeshop - tiz bikeworld.:mad:

Advertisement