Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Anyone else seen this guy on M50?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I usually take my worry beads with me on the M50. Trepidation is the only word for my feelings for getting on that road at peak hours.
    The undertaking/overtaking is a problem as the "undertaker" can on occasions be just observing the speed limit.
    Ultimately, and as has been posted before, the M1 is probably the only road where people attempt to drive on a motorway as one should.
    All in all this just reinforces the fact that a hell of a lot of Irish drivers have extremely poor skills which says very little for how we are tested. :(.

As regards OP, report him whatever way you can and just forget about it. You are not there to enforce the rules of the road however little people actually follow them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Big Balls wrote:
    You see, you've mixed up a critical word there. There was not enough room to cut in in front of me and either way, moving from behind a car into the inside lane and cutting in in front of the car you've just undertaken is illegal.

What bit do you not get Anan? :o

The bit I don't get is why you got abusive when you were questioned about the incident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

Nothing irritates me more on the M50 than the muppets who will just sit in the overtaking lane with nothing in front of them and won't move over. I don't care if they are sticking to the speed limit or not. If a car approaches behind travelling faster they should move over, and give up this 'holy guardian of the speed limit' crap.

If I am driving the limit in the right hand lane and the traffic in the left lane is doing 90 KmH why should I pull over into a slower traffic stream.
    You would have to wait till we got to the end of the slow traffic stream, then I would pull over.

MM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

If I am driving the limit in the right hand lane and the traffic in the left lane is doing 90 KmH why should I pull over into a slower traffic stream.
    You would have to wait till we got to the end of the slow traffic stream, then I would pull over.

MM

That's fair enough. I'm not that unreasonable.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

LFCFan wrote:
    TheNog! What would you consider dangerous driving that warrented reporting?

there was one drunk driver who joined the N3 from a secondary road by completely missing the STOP sign, almost hitting traffic calming measures, driving alongside the middle white line on a straight stretch of road and going utterly off course on a bend like ending up on the hard shoulder on bends to the right and for bends going left the driver must of thought he was driving on continental europe. this driver drove on the rhs of the road for a good 100 metres or so until he realised and corrected. luckily it was almost 2am and there wasn't many cars about....

or how about another drunk driving weaving about and doing 60mph through Mullingar town centre??

an artic truck with a clearly defective trailer that kept pulling the tractor onto the hard shoulder where parked cars maybe with people on the phones were at serious risk from this truck driving at 55mph

or another guy overtaking 2 cars and a rigid truck on a blind bend on the n4 between kilcock and enfield where there are numerous NO OVERTAKING signs and double white lines

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote:
    Calm down, it's only a troll.;)

were u calling me a troll?? such as unintelligent, pig headed etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭hargo

I was driving on the M1 the other day doing 100kph during rush hour and I undertook about 10 cars who were in the overtaking lane, sorry wrong lane. Would you have been one of these motorists by any chance? Make driving on our motorways more pleasant and safer for everyone, drive in the correct lane and don't insult people for making comment that you don't agree with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

hargo wrote:
    Would you have been one of these motorists by any chance? Make driving on our motorways more pleasant and safer for everyone, drive in the correct lane and don't insult people for making comment that you don't agree with.

You're an ignorant assh*le. You haven't even got a notion of what I was talking about in the initial post.

Your claim that I was in the wrong lane as someone was able to move from behind me, into the inside lane, fly out in front of me again missing my car by inches and do it to numerous cars, is just laughable.

You must've got your licence by saving 8 tokens with Kelloggs Corkflakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭maidhc

I have been undertaken in the past, mostly by an idiot who comes up your rear while you are overtaking a number of slow moving vehicles. And this might be when you are doing 10k over the limit. It happens a fair bit, and I can see where Big Balls is coming from.

I have also been forced to undertake myself because of those great members of society who feel it is their duty to drive at exactly the limit (and slowing periodically...) on the outside lane. What can you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

maidhc wrote:
    I have been undertaken in the past, mostly by an idiot who comes up your rear while you are overtaking a number of slow moving vehicles. And this might be when you are doing 10k over the limit. It happens a fair bit, and I can see where Big Balls is coming from.

I have also been forced to undertake myself because of those great members of society who feel it is their duty to drive at exactly the limit (and slowing periodically...) on the outside lane. What can you do?

As I've said before, the difference between these two possible scenarios really comes down to the size of the gap between the cars in the left lane at the time. What BigBalls doesn't seem to understand, however, is that firing personal insults at anyone whose posts he doesn't agree with doesn't exactly enhance his credibility. Cue rant...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Just saw the most stupid piece of vindictive driving coming down from Westport today, driving behind a Learner going approx 70kph in a 100 zone, we come to a stretch of clear road, I go to overtake him/her (not going to be sexist now), now as I am passing, I find it strange that the car isnt showing in my rear view mirror, bear in mind I am going about 90kph now, look to the side and find him/her still right next to me, the idiot has speeded up, at this point a car has appeared over the rise and I am forced to really put my foot down or slam on the brakes. I managed to get ahead eventually after dropping a gear, but it was fairly close. If I had managed to get the plate number I would have definitely broken my Trafficwatch virginity. Dangerous Bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

It was a GPSM (Genuine Pants ****ting Moment)

Jumpy wrote:
    Just saw the most stupid piece of vindictive driving coming down from Westport today, driving behind a Learner going approx 70kph in a 100 zone, we come to a stretch of clear road, I go to overtake him/her (not going to be sexist now), now as I am passing, I find it strange that the car isnt showing in my rear view mirror, bear in mind I am going about 90kph now, look to the side and find him/her still right next to me, the idiot has speeded up, at this point a car has appeared over the rise and I am forced to really put my foot down or slam on the brakes. I managed to get ahead eventually after dropping a gear, but it was fairly close. If I had managed to get the plate number I would have definitely broken my Trafficwatch virginity. Dangerous Bastard.

A driver in cavan was convicted recently of speeding up and slowing down again therefore forcing the traffic behind to stay behind him. This particular guy was driving a rigid truck and when the car behind ( driven by an elderly couple ) eventually overtook the truck, the truck driver drove right up their a*ses and tried to undertake them on the hard shoulder!!!

the elderly couple called the guards and had the driver stopped. so with several witnesses he was convicted of numerous driving offences.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭hargo

Big balls big car big insecurity lighten up lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭cynos

Big Balls wrote:
    everyday he will undertake you

Why does he need to undertake you?:confused:
    you should pull into the slow lane and let him in the fastlane<overtaking> pass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭cynos

hargo wrote:
    I was driving on the M1 the other day doing 100kph during rush hour and I undertook about 10 cars who were in the overtaking lane, sorry wrong lane. Would you have been one of these motorists by any chance? Make driving on our motorways more pleasant and safer for everyone, drive in the correct lane and don't insult people for making comment that you don't agree with.

Agree 100% on this statement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

hargo wrote:

Hargo you have a valid point. Some people donot even know the rules of the road.i am not saying i have not undertook before but its for a reason and the reason is slow drivers in the fast lane.They should know their mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

its traffic weavers like this who slow traffic down causing many drivers to slam on the breaks and thus the concertina effect takes place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

cynos wrote:
    Why does he need to undertake you?:confused:
    you should pull into the slow lane and let him in the fastlane<overtaking> pass

Alright. This is the last time I am going to explain to anyone in this thread how if I am driving along in the overtaking lane and slowly but surely moving a bit faster than the inside lane, moving with the traffic then I have as much right to be there as anyone. You've one car that is a 1.4 and one that is a 2.0L Turbo. Which do you think can move quicker?

It really is worrying that the people questioning this are let loose on motorways and actually seem to think this fella was acting in a safe manner!!!!????

To all of you who don't seem to grasp this whole thing of driving on motorways, go out onto the M50 today, drive up someone's arse in the overtaking lane, swerve out from behind them forcing your way into the inside lane, put the boot down (this is where I could've used my cars power to close the gap completely and tailgate the car in front so as to not let this fella through at all but I am a safe driver, have manners, passed a driving test and respect my car) force your way back in front of the car you just illegally undertook and see how you get on. Better still, ask a garda car to watch everything you do, and report back to me in this thread with the wording the copper used to caution you.

@ Anan, if you have nothing new to contribute apart from, "oh you are insulting me", then bow out will ya. :rolleyes:

To the rest of the competent drivers who understood my points in this thread, fair play, watch out for this fella on the M50 in the evening time, it might be you who has to act to avoid an accident next time.

I think this thread has gone full circle and if nothing else, has shown that the guy I described is certainly not alone in his 'understanding' of the rules of the road.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Regardless of the back and forth argument that’s been going on, I would just like to let you know that I saw this muppet that the OP was on about.

He was driving on the hard shoulder heading southbound at about 8:20 this morning in his wine coloured 00-D Corolla. Unfortunately he must have set off a 'monkey see-monkey do' trend, as there was about 4 or 5 cars following him including a guy in an SL Merc who skipped off and back on at Finglas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Cogitosus

The best "solution" to these problems has to be calling the Gardai. they do sometimes do the right thing. A friend of mine is a terrible driver, not through agression, she (yes, she) simply has her mind on other things instead of her driving.

She was driving at 60kph in the outside lane of the N11 recently and was pulled by a very irate Garda who dressed her down for holding up traffic. She arrived at our house expecting sympathy! I still wonder how she ever passed her driving test.

C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Cogitosus

I should mention that many years ago when I was young and foolish (I'm not young anymore) I was being harassed by a drunk in a small Peugeot one night. I was driving one of my solid old bangers in traffic and simply had nowhere to go to avoid this idiot who was flashing madly and driving at my rear bumper. So I simply....stopped.

After the loud bang I put on my hazards and got out. My old clunker was unmarked but the front of his car was crunched; boy was he ever mad! It would have been tricky if we had needed the Gardai as he had no intention of hanging around once he'd finished the screaming and threatening. His girlfriend was hiding in the passenger seat, wishing she was elsewhere. While he was distracted I managed to suggest quietly to her that she might live longer if she dumped him.

All in all, calling the Gardai is the better answer, but it wouldn't give me the entertainment and tremendous satisfaction that this incident did.

C.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

delly wrote:
    Regardless of the back and forth argument that’s been going on, I would just like to let you know that I saw this muppet that the OP was on about.

He was driving on the hard shoulder heading southbound at about 8:20 this morning in his wine coloured 00-D Corolla. Unfortunately he must have set off a 'monkey see-monkey do' trend, as there was about 4 or 5 cars following him including a guy in an SL Merc who skipped off and back on at Finglas.

I hope you reported them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Cogitosus wrote:
    I should mention that many years ago when I was young and foolish (I'm not young anymore) I was being harassed by a drunk in a small Peugeot one night. I was driving one of my solid old bangers in traffic and simply had nowhere to go to avoid this idiot who was flashing madly and driving at my rear bumper. So I simply....stopped.

After the loud bang I put on my hazards and got out. My old clunker was unmarked but the front of his car was crunched; boy was he ever mad! It would have been tricky if we had needed the Gardai as he had no intention of hanging around once he'd finished the screaming and threatening. His girlfriend was hiding in the passenger seat, wishing she was elsewhere. While he was distracted I managed to suggest quietly to her that she might live longer if she dumped him.

All in all, calling the Gardai is the better answer, but it wouldn't give me the entertainment and tremendous satisfaction that this incident did.

C.

How did you know he was drunk as opposed to a sloppy or aggressive driver?

Just wondering.

Had he been sober, and stayed for the cops, you'd have been liable for his damages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭roger 2006 yeah

Hows my driving ?

I was cut of by a rigid truck about a year ago on the N81, this guy was doing double the speed limit, in & out of lanes with no indication. he went onto the M50 as did i, so i spotted the "Hows My Driving?" sticker, i rang up gave the girl the number on the back, she took my number and said thanks for reporting it, i never heard back since.

i hope he was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

How did you know he was drunk as opposed to a sloppy or aggressive driver?

Just wondering.

Had he been sober, and stayed for the cops, you'd have been liable for his damages.
    He wouldn't be liable, the other aggressive driver drove into the back of him, that means he wasn't at a suitable distance to stop in case of an emergency.
    LAw favours the person who has been rear-ended i believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 jdwals

I have one story regarding overtaking a car that then decided to speed up as I went by.
    Was heading down to Kerry on one of my mothly trips for Mothers home cooking and was behind a car leaving Toomevara. Car was doing 80kph and did not get a chance to overtake until we hit the Nenagh bypass.
    Got to the Nenagh bypass and after hanging back a minute to see would the driver pick up the speed, I decided to overtake when he stayed at 80kph.
    When I pulled out slightly to check what was ahead, I noticed a Garda car a good bit ahead parked on the oppostie side of the road.
    No problem I thought, he is still doing 80kph and I won't need to excced the speed limit to overtake so I pulled out and began my overtaking manuver.
    Began to get worried that I was not making progress and looked at my speedo, 100kph - looked out my passanger side window and see the car I am overtaking level with me - look ahead and there is Garda with speed gun up and pointed our way.
    So jamed on the brakes and pulled back in behind the car I was attempting to overtake.
    As soon as I had and we were past the Garda, the vindicitve bastard slowed right back down to 80kph again.
    From now on, when I overtake - I overtake and never give a person a chance to do that to me again.

a few years ago i decided that i was going to reduce my speed to just below the limit. My route to and from work was on a very busy secondary road with quite a few overtaking chances along the way but i noticed i always had a long of cars behind me. This route is notorious for dangerous overtaking in the mornings and evenings but not one would overtake me.

this went on for a couple of months until i noticed that my kids blue lunch box (with the end of it facing outwards) was in the back window and stuck between the back of a seat and the brake light. when i removed the lunch box cars started whizzing by me

Advertisement