Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Risk free returnss

Options
  • 21-03-2006 5:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

hi, i am trying to find the yearly return on UK gilt egded securities for 2000 through to 2005,i have searched high and low on the internet but can't find anything,has anyone got any suggestions?thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I will ask my GF. She does something along those lines.... I think.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Bea35

Hi,
    do you have one security in mind as there is numerous securities that are influenced by the gilt.
    Let me know which one(s) you re interested in.
    Bea

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Bea35 wrote:
    Hi,
    do you have one security in mind as there is numerous securities that are influenced by the gilt.
    Let me know which one(s) you re interested in.
    Bea

sorry, don't want to come across as condescending, as it is your first post. But nothing is 'influenced by the gilt'. A gilt-edged bond is a (originally UK) government bond.

From what i remember from my finance lectures, UK bonds used to be issued with a gold edge on them, gilt is another name for gold, and thus earned the nickname 'gilt-edged'.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

sorry, don't want to come across as condescending, as it is your first post. But nothing is 'influenced by the gilt'. A gilt-edged bond is a (originally UK) government bond.

From what i remember from my finance lectures, UK bonds used to be issued with a gold edge on them, gilt is another name for gold, and thus earned the nickname 'gilt-edged'.
    Perhaps influenced may not be the best term but "gilt edged" is very vague.

http://financial-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Gilt+Edged+Bond

http://www.intracen.org/tfs/docs/glossary/ge.htm

As you say yourself originally the term may have been specific but now it is not. Besides that, the OP is asking about Gilt edge securities which are different from gilt edge bonds. Even gilt edge bonds are not, I believe, what you think they are anymore.

My understanding is that guilt edge securities, like bonds, are simply securities that have a very high rating. There could be dozens of them so it is not unreasonable to ask the OP to be a bit more specific. His question is a bit like " I am thinking about buying a red car. What do you think?"

Don't worry, you did not come accross as condesending, just wrong.

Advertisement