Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography fieldwork

Options
  • 21-03-2006 5:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Aporia

does anyone know when the final date to hand them in is...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭deisedolly

I'm not quite sure but it's sometime around the end of april as far as I know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭willowmegs

our teacher told us the deadline for them to be sent off was the end of next week? mind you, she's probably only saying that so we'll really focus. i'm sick to death of writing out the gathering of data!! we are writing up the final drafts of introduction, planning and gathering of data tomorrow, writing up the results next week. can't wait to be finished it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭casanova_kid

28th of April

i have to completely change mine from our mocks ones thanks to the new Marking Scheme.

you lose marks for bullet points

what Bull****!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Yup, this fieldwork seems to be a load of crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

what exactly is the marking scheme?

news to me you lose points for having bullet points. i was docked marks in my pre's for NOT putting in bullet points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

It is complete bull**** tnh honest. I don't know what I'm doing. I don't think anybody does!

there was a conference 2 thursdays ago in which teacher's who attended were able to ask the examiners questions.

my teacher grilled him and realised that they know just as little what we're doing as we do!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

The new Geography course seems to be a bit of a mess at the moment, no one has a clue how the examiners want the questions answered, they've only given an indication of the marking scheme too.

If anyone got the Irish Times on Monday and the Leaving Cert supplement, the section on Geography there is excellent.

Hopefully all this confusion works to our advantage when it comes time to correcting...

Funkstard wrote:
    Hopefully all this confusion works to our advantage when it comes time to correcting...

Indeed..hehe

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

that whole marking conference thing was a bit of a gay but luckily for me i havent started

BUT

my teacher wants them in tomorrow for him to look over

busy night for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭dr.barbie

We've just started ours. The aims/objectives bit, is that where you state the general aims, the process of achieving the aims (questionares/observations etc) and other stuff like that? sorry for a stupid question- we dont have clue in the class! any help appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

i dont think anyone really konws but i think its like this

aims/introduction: what you plan to have proved by the end of your field work

planning: what sort of data you will need to get and state how you will get it ie measure the cubic flow of a river or do a survey etc

gathering of data: exactly what you did to get your data, be concise in the methodology used DO NOT MENTION ANY RESULTS very important that hence upper case

we have only written up the introduction,planning & gathering of data so far, but now we have to write them all up AGAIN because my teacher went to a conference yesterday and discovered how they're going to be marking the documents etc. She has had to reorder all the documents again. Shes hoping to have it all written up again before Easter hols. I am just majorly pissed off because orals starting next week. :mad: But i suppose at least we'll have geography passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

smemon wrote:
    what exactly is the marking scheme?

news to me you lose points for having bullet points. i was docked marks in my pre's for NOT putting in bullet points.
    We had somebody loose marks for putting in bullet points in the pre, they were told examiners don't like it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

Geography is a joke. End

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Aporia

Oh great. Now, just because I was out sick on Monday and Tuesday, my Geography teacher won't explain anything to me and said it's not my fault if I fail it.

:eek: *panics* I wrote out a practice one but I've no idea if it's okay since she won't correct it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 tara_mac

i wouldnt worry too much much once you follw the general marking scheme then youll be grand due to the fact that they have changed it so much much and since they really havent even decided on the final marking scheme if yours is semi to the marking scheme that youve been told about and it has all the necessary things in then you have to get good marks for it. so its all good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 The Lime

I was just wondering where did everyone go for there geography study?We went up the Wicklow mountains to Glendalough.

ours was a study of urban landuse so we did two streets, one in city and one near it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 tara_mac

mc curtian street the joy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Aporia

Phew, I got my teacher to correct it and it was generally okay so now it's just a matter of transferring it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

The Lime wrote:
    I was just wondering where did everyone go for there geography study?We went up the Wicklow mountains to Glendalough.

Thats our study too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Ours was at the liffey at Kippure..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Shards

Our Geography teacher hasn't got a clue, she just talks on and on about stick figures and sh*t. i havin a clue and i handed up 3 drafts to her and she said they were bad, i aked her what was wrong but she just said work on them. now shes refusing to even look at anyones as apparently shes too busy all next week and will be collecting them on friday. does any one else think the word limit is bollix??? i can't seem to stick to it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

whats da story with geography has it changed? our field study was to analse the cental business district in our town. we did it as a class splited up. couple groups did up the maps of diffrent parts the town, one group did interviews etc then we shared info. and one the day of the exam itself ya had to remember it all and scribble it down with 3 or 4 other q to do

pain in a34e always writing it up but it stuck in the minds. least da teacher was good (bit of a f5g thou) to be honest its meant to be easy marks

a handy field study is the central business district of a town, eg count how many people went into stores and stand outside building counting which top floor building were either commerical or accomadation or vacant ( jesus we looked like p(*^ks doing that everyone looking at us)

it's completely changed with the new syllabus...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

word limit say as its impossible are there words in da dictionary that can stand for more than 2 meanings in a sentence? ye sounds like ur teacher is a c67t i take back whatever i said bout my teacher (bar the fact we thought he was a f6g.) we got spoon feed compared to ye

as for the word count shorten it a bit and just lie about how many words are on it. just look that what the word count on the computer said. stick to that. if teacher decides to count them himself then wat a sad miserable lonely b she/he is.

get that teacher when on their own and demand help, they are there to help the ones in need and not be amazed by their sheer susposed brilliance cause they got a couple a brighter people in their class. ye know urself they pay more attenetion to them (not their fault unless they are brown noisers) good luck with it anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

Word count is good. It stops people who are good at English getting the marks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

NADA wrote:
    Word count is good. It stops people who are good at English getting the marks.

what idiot is going to count the amount of words in the booklet?

i just guessed mine roughly and put down something like 993 as the total word count. complete guess :D

do words in the graphs count? and do numbers count or do headings count.... who knows and who d bleep cares?! :p

Advertisement