Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rear Fog light question

Options
  • 21-03-2006 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

Hi all!

Have vw golf mk4 with Fk led rear lights.
    The problem I have that those lights dont have the fog lights in them (I dont think I would pass the nct without them).
    I rang the fk dealer in Ireland to enquire and they suggested to change one of the reverse lights into the fog light.
    I've seen some cars with only one reverse light -so I hope that will be ok,but I dont know on which side the reverse light should be (if you have only one).Does it matter?

Any info will be much appreciated :)

Cheers,
    trance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

AFAIK a single rear foglight, if fitted, must be on the offside, i.e. the right hand side if you look at the car from the rear. It therefore follows that the reversing light should be on the nearside, i.e. left.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

rear foglight is not required for NCT. is required for UK MOT.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Whether it's required or not, I wouldn't want to be without one.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭trance2004

Thank you all for the replies.
    Can anyone else confirm that you dont need the fog light for the nct (thats my first car/never been to nct test before).
    I would like to fit one anyway (you'll never know when you will need it)

Cheers,

In that case, the fog light goes on the drivers side. you can buy LED red lights. they're the same fitment for brake lights.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm-thanks for that. Would I need to get some sort of connectors for it (there is a room in the rear lights for couple of leds in the bottom part)?
    See photo attached (the red part of the light)

cheers

there is currently a cable that plugs into your rear light cluster. if you want to know which of these is the rear fog light, it is most likely that all pins on the cluster will be present apart from the one for rear fog. you'll need to disconnect the positive wire for the drivers side reversing light and run a wire into the boot of the car. (you could also alter the plug but you could make a total bags of it) you then need to join this wire to the feed for the rear fog light, which is the cable that plugs into the cluster.
    You then swap your clear bulb for a red one, and you're done

Thanks colm_mcm :D

Advertisement