Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty DVD

Options
  • 21-03-2006 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hi,
    I bought Serenity on DVD earlier this month. Only got around to watching it last night (watched the extras over the weekend with no problems).

Towards the end of the film, about 25 minutes from the end, it hangs and then skips ahead a couple of scenes, plays a second or two, then hangs again and skips almost to the end!

Oddly enough it plays ok in my computer. It's my standard Philips DVD player that has the problems. I took the disc out, gave it a good rub but it keeps happening at the exact same point.

My question is - what are my rights? I bought it in Golden Disc in Jervis Shopping Centre but don't have the receipt anymore.

As it's a faulty product can I go back to Golden Disc and ask for a replacement without any hullabaloo of proof of purchase?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

The fact that it plays OK in your computer kind of implies that the disk is OK does it not?

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Sidane

Perhaps, never had a problem with any other DVD on that player though. Will try it out on a friends player.

So say it doesn't play in standard DVD players but is ok on my computer, what are my options?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You need the receipt. If it had a goldendiscs sticker on it and was in mint condition they may replace it, but would not have to. You have also probably scratched it now by cleaning it.

If it is in mint condition you could buy it again in golden discs, get a receipt, return the faulty one and demand your money back (you do not need to take a replacement for faulty goods).

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭englander

I had a similar problem with a DVD I rented - It skipped etc
    I took the DVD back and got a replacement (it was scratched to buggery). - same thing happened. Twice I took it back.
    Took it back 3rd time and gave out stink and got money back.

I tried some other DVDs in my collection the follwoing days and noticed they were jumping as well.

Turns out my Philips DVD Recorder/Player is the problem as they play OK on other players.

I wouldn't buy Philips again.

Cost a bloody fortune then decides to die on me just as the guarantee runs out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

There were disc protection systems brought in that effected many players. Philips do seem to have a particular problem with them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement