Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kiberd MIA

• 21-03-2006 6:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where Damien Kiberd has gone these days? Did something happen him? While I don't really like his show, I hope it's nothing serious and he's back soon.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

Did you see this thread, he hasn't been on Newstalk since the end of February. I have to say that I miss him...:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

He's probably just gone on holidays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭gilroyb

robo wrote:
    Did you see this thread, he hasn't been on Newstalk since the end of February. I have to say that I miss him...:confused:

But that thread doesn't have the answer either.

I don't think it's holidays because normally the guest presenter spends the whole show saying that the regular presenter is on holidays (for instance listening to Ger on Moncrief). Kiberd not being there is just totally ignored. Seems very odd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

I heard he owns a big stake in the station so i wouldnt say he was let go. maybe he has, or is dealing with, some "personal issue" and hence why they don't want to remind the listeners of his abscence.

nice man, terrible radio presenter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭damienom

T&#225 wrote: »
    I heard he owns a big stake in the station

Might help if you check your facts - doesn't own any share of the company

http://www.bci.ie/documents/newstalk_ownership.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

damienom wrote:
    Might help if you check your facts - doesn't own any share of the company

http://www.bci.ie/documents/newstalk_ownership.pdf

Wow, that's very school teacherish language there.

Do you want him to bend over so you can give him 10 of the finest?

i only said "i heard," leaving it open for people to come in and confirm or deny my grapevine whispers.

are you a teacher? it would make sense. or else you own the station. i haven't "heard" anything new

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭damienom

Was just setting things straight............

and that you did!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

damienom wrote:
    Was just setting things straight............

Imagine being lambasted for extinguishing myth with fact... christ, it's like the dark ages on this site sometimes in terms of maturity. Good find Damien (a little more diplomacy next time perhaps :)?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭leahcim

The last thing I heard him do was the business section (approx 7:30am) on Dumphys program on a morning in Feb, he sounded very upset doing to piece, his voice was shaking and he sounded like he was going to burst into tears at any moment. The people producing the piece sensed all was not well with him and cut the piece short.

I assumed at the time he must have got some very bad news that morning and hadn't any time to cancel his piece for the Dumphy show.

He hasn't been on the radio sense.

I hope all is well with him as I enjoyed his show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Genghis

Kiberd had been appointed as chief editor or some such, and at the time he had said that he will keep up the radio show until a suitable replacement came along.

However, it doesn't sound like his current absence was altogether planned.

I was listening a few weeks back to his replacement (can't think of his name) - but he was a very poor presenter, I have to say.

On a broader point, Newstalk need to co-ordinate their staff holidays a little bit better. One Thursday (about two weeks ago) Dunphy, Kiberd, Moncrieff and Hook were all on leave of some sort. That is practically the whole day's schedule gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 murphy54

I ..have to tell you that he is very ill and might never come back

hope he can overcome whatever it is he has

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

murphy54 wrote:
    I ..have to tell you that he is very ill and might never come back

source?

He was on one of the Sunday morning shows on RTE Radio 1 last Sunday as a member of the panel.
    Didn't catch much of it, but deffo heard him being thanked for being a guest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

whiskeyman wrote:
    source?

He was on one of the Sunday morning shows on RTE Radio 1 last Sunday as a member of the panel.
    Didn't catch much of it, but deffo heard him being thanked for being a guest.
    that was his brother professor kiebard an english literature professor in trinity or the like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

that was his brother professor kiebard an english literature professor in trinity or the like.
    oops - i stand corrected.

Wonder what happened to him.
    I used to see him now and again on the Luas last year... I think he lives in Ranelagh.
    Havent seen him this year though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Anyone got any more news on this? It's peculiar that he's gone this long and no news has emerged to explain it.

Also, anyone got a recording/podcast of him on Dunphy, where he supposedly sounded distressed? I missed it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

He is still writing his Economic Outlook column for the Sunday Times, though I did notice he was missing for a week or two.

Mike.

kiebard is missing from sunday times again today.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know if he was in the Sunday Times today?

I just think it's very strange that there is no word about this.

no he wasnt in sunday times today,rossa white wrote his column instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Anyone got an update on this?? I did spot this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054895881
    where he apparently was sounding "distressed" during a broadcast on the Dunphy show.

Any news?

Edit: [I feel like Norris from Corrie. Sounding all concerned but in reality am a nosey bugger :D]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭iplogger1

Has DK been on 106 in recent weeks ? I'm based in the west but
    I used to catch part of his show around lunchtime when I lived
    in Leinster. Someone left a message suggesting he was unwell
    but the poster may have been trolling (judging by his posting
    history). I hope he is well - he is an entertaining and clever
    broadcaster and journalist and I hope he isn't gone from the
    airwaves (or print media)

Well the station hasn't mentioned what happened, but serious illness is really all that makes sense. Karen Coleman is presenting the show today, so perhaps she is going to move over to a weekday slot.

I do wish Kiberd all the best, and hope that it's nothing too serious. It's only after hearing the stand in presenters that I appreciate that Kiberd show was better than I had thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

I'm not sure whether he is ill or not. But I had put his absence down to the series attacks from Eoghan Harris in the Sindo blaming him for causing the riots for the Orange parade in O'Connell St. I had thought that he was keeping a low profile while the station was applying for it's quasi national licence.

But if he doesn't make an appearance over the summer then there might be something else to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

I can't stand Karen Coleman,or that Brendan O'Brien guy who were standinig in for Kiberd, I liked John Keogh though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I'm not sure whether he is ill or not.

I believe he is just busy with his off air duties as newstalk prepares to go national.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭sudzs

According to Gerry Ryan this morning, Damian Kieberd is suffering from a long term illness and probably won't be returning to the airwaves.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,521 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Oh dear, I hope he recovers.:(

I saw yeserday he won't be back on radio but his Sunday Times colume is back as of yesterday.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

is brendan o'brien still his stand-in? i really dont like him and he also usulally covers everyone elses slots if they are away so i can never escape him! :(

After a prolonged absence he is back in the Sunday Times.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

The fella who seems to have taken over full-time is pretty good. I'm not familiar with him, but I listen the odd time on my break in work, and he's quite good. Asks good questions, handles the interviewees well, is quite witty.

Much better than Brendan O Brien, no offence to him -_-

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

Brendan O'Brien like Mary Wilson on RTE are reporters not news anchors, who can forget that clip of him chasing after the general which is often shown on Reeling in the Years.

• Advertisement

Declan on the night program just said that Kiberd is coming back for the "Down to Business" program at the weekend. He's on the show tonight as a guest.

Advertisement