Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Irish Registration Number Format

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

A few comments......

- I too would like to see a system in place that did not show the year of registration. One way to do so would be to introduce optional (...what could be called...) 'County Plates' i.e. allow people to buy a reg with their county letters followed (or preceded) by a number of their choice, e.g. if you lived in Kilkenny you might opt for - KK 100, KK 2, KK 45, 100 KK, 22 KK, etc etc etc

- The current system has already been 'duplicated' several times, e.g. the reg 03 WX 1 was issued years ago to a 1903 truck!

- ZV plates are optional on vehicles over 30 yrs old.

- EU flag/stars are optional on UK/N.I plates.

- Yellow rear plates are probably easier to read at night (when your lights shine on them) than white plates, but white plates it is for Ireland (as is the case in Germany, Spain, Belgium......)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

Lex Luthor wrote:
    It's worse in the UK....there is a rush twice a year over there to have the latest registration. The cars bought earlier in the year depreciate a huge amount when the latter registrations come in.
    Can you link to anything that might re-inforce that? I'd have thought that twice-a-year registration would make registration and the passing of the next registration date less important rather than more so. Here it's surely more of a watershed when the next year comes and you own a car with a number plate that's dated last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

fjon wrote:
    I'm not very keen on the yellow plates used in France or the UK.
    What are the rules regarding the EU flag on British plates? Does the car owner have a choice of having it on there or not? Should all plates not have it?
    I seem to remember reading that Denmark was the only EU country left which had not added an EU flag to its plates, yet I have seen only a very small number of British plates with it. In fact, I don't think I have ever seen an NI plate with it, but I guess that is because they are not part of GB.Guess they would have to change the flag to say UK instead of GB...

As I understand it, its optional for the UK driver to put the EU flag / GB onto his/her car. You often see, incorrectly, flags of St. Andrew / SCO on cars from Scotland, and the Welsh flag / WAL (or CYM) on cars. They are not right, as SCO is not registered as an international code for car plates and WAL is the vehicle code for Sierra Leone :D

As for Northern Ireland, its seldom you see GB and the EU flag on plates, as well.... "GB", as initials, is not as inclusive as "UK" is, for many of the north's community. It could also be said, the NI plate system relies on the Republics pre-87 system, which is a relic of pre-1922 in itself, so therefore was not part of the mainland UK system, which was registered as GB in 1910.

And I bow to the superior knowledge of county councils that Victor has :)

Advertisement