Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insuring A Second Car?

Options
  • 21-03-2006 6:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭

What's the story with insuring a second car? Can you add it to your existing (private) policy or do you have to take out a new policy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

No, you basically start from scratch again with no no-claims, as this can only be applied to one policy. That's what I've gathered anyway, although I'm hoping someone knows of a better option as I'm trying to insure a second car myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭fdisk

You have to start a new policy, and cannot apply any of you driving experience or no claims bonus. I have a few policies and the insurance companies have never been able to answer my single question - if I start a new policy and have a crash, will that affect my other policy that has a full no claims bonus? I'm asked every year if I have had any accidents or convictions, etc, and when I asked them the hypothetical question ' what if I said yes, but it was on my other policy that has a seperate no claims bonus' - they tell me that it might not make any difference, but that they would have to investigate with their boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

As already mentioned, you have to get a separate policy for the 2nd car. But if you haggle with the insurance company they may give you a substantial discount on the 2nd policy. I'd say this will only work if you are taking out a 2nd policy without any named drivers on it. Because they are wary of people taking out a 2nd policy with their 18 year old son as a "named driver" when in reality he will be driving the car all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

Quick question:

Does the second policy have to be with your current insurer or can you take out a policy with another company?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

guys my friend has 2 cars insured with the same company on the same policy. i think its axa he is insured with. i thought the same as you guys thought but he showed me his insurance papers and it was true that he has 2 cars insured on the same policy and they are both his cars.
    i will try find out more from him.

• Advertisement

You can take out a second policy with anyone. As with your first policy, the best deal wins....

dre, would be interested to hear more about that, especially whether he has two discs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Was trying to insure two cars recently....pain in the hole. The situation with Quinn Direct is that you can NOT insure two cars on the same policy. You must take out a separate policy with no no-claims etc (with any company presumably). Furthermore, if the second car is not insured by someone else (as in my situation - bought new car; still have old) you cannot even temporarily transfer your insurance to it! As long as the second car is owned (i.e. actually registered in their name) by someone else (but not necessarily insured), you are covered third party driving it; if it is registered in your name, you do not even have this cover.
    I'm not sure about companies other than Quinn, but I'd imagine most of them would be similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

That is a joke regarding not being able to use your no claims on the second car. Do the insurance companies think you suddenly become an inexperienced driver once you sit your arse into the second car?!! What a joke, typical insurance companies, using any excuse they can to extract as much money as possible from us.

It's a joke, all right, just not a very funny one! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

guys tried to get though to him but phone is off, so asked another mate and he said he is in spain till the weekend.i will find out when he comes back,
    i did ask him this question last week but didnot get enough info.all he said was he is with axa etc
    but i will ask him when he is back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭spidersonmars

The cheapest way to insure a second car is buy a classic. That is anything before 1983, Fully comp insurance €432. I have a licence for less than a year!! My car quailifies for Tax of €42 yearly because she 32yrs old. If your car was i.e 1981 you would still pay the tax on the cc. My first car is 1.4 tax and insurace well over a grand!!:eek:

The cheapest way to insure a second car is buy a classic.
    It's not, you know. By the time you've bought a classic in any kind of running order and paid for insurance, chances are you'll have paid more than you would for a new policy from scratch anyway, unless you're a young driver.

That's a good point about an accident on one policy and whether it affects the no-claims bonus on your other policy. If it does, then it strikes me that the insurance companies are really trying to have their cake and eat it, too (so nothing new there, then) :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

if you can have third party on someone else's car on your own cars policy, why not buy another car in someone else's name (the missus or a mate) and just drive it with 3rd party cover ? would that be legal ?

dre - would love to hear the details of your mates situation. would love to by a cheap weekend fun car !

btw - I asked a german colleague about this and she was telling me that insuring multiple cars on the one policy is very common in Germany. She drives an m3 and a boxter, depending on what mood she is in on a given day. All on the one policy and all for a few hundred euro.

Bloody country is a rip off wherever you look !

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭spidersonmars

Blastman, your right but I was including the price of buying a second car. I have a 1974 Rover p6. I bought for €1500, my insurance and tax added = circa €2000. A newer car say 1996 would cost €2000 plus, add the much higher tax and insurance and you'd hit 3k. My car is 2.2ltr the newer car would be say a 1.6 for simular performance.

m_stan wrote:
    if you can have third party on someone else's car on your own cars policy, why not buy another car in someone else's name (the missus or a mate) and just drive it with 3rd party cover ? would that be legal ?
    You'd need a mate or missus with no car though, otherwise you're just moving the problem on to them. If they've no car, then they may not have a full licence/any significant no-claims discount anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Originally Posted by m_stan

Most insurance policies stat that the other car must be insured for this to work, be carefull to check your policy if you try this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I've 2 vehicles, 2 separate policies, can only use NCB on 1 but at the end of the year i will have cert for NCB on each car which I intend to use as a cumulative NCB.

There's nothing to say that just because both policies are running at the same time that only 1 of them is earning you a NCB.

Still f***** expensive though :rolleyes:

Savman wrote:
    I've 2 vehicles, 2 separate policies, can only use NCB on 1 but at the end of the year i will have cert for NCB on each car which I intend to use as a cumulative NCB.

There's nothing to say that just because both policies are running at the same time that only 1 of them is earning you a NCB.

Still f***** expensive though :rolleyes:
    Will that work? I've got a full no-claims anyway, so no benefit to me, just wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Del2005 wrote:
    Most insurance policies stat that the other car must be insured for this to work, be carefull to check your policy if you try this.

this is true of quinn direct.

btw this whole famous thing of "insurance companies must quote you" is true as long as you have a policy already and they can't convince you to go away. my brother has a golf gti and they wouldn't quote him on it, so he went ahead and bought it and with a bit of jiggery pokery they gave in and gave it to him. what's more- if they have no basis for quoting you- nthey will carry on as if it were your old car.
    i reckon you can call them up, let them reist, persistantly tell them "you don't understand-i have bought and paid for my second car and i now require you to put it on my policy" and i think they will probably fold.

anyone feeling bold?

cantdecide wrote:
    this is true of quinn direct.

?
    If a car is *registered* in someone else's name, you can drive it with third party cover from Quinn regardless of whether the other person has insurance. I am doing so at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

If a car is *registered* in someone else's name, you can drive it with third party cover from Quinn regardless of whether the other person has insurance. I am doing so at the moment.

You'd wanna double check that chief, the term "the vehicle must be insured" springs to mind....

Savman wrote:
    You'd wanna double check that chief, the term "the vehicle must be insured" springs to mind....
    100% certain on this. Was picking up new car couple of weeks ago so rang Quinn to check (as I thought it had to be insured).......and then rang back to confirm with a different operator!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

100% certain on this. Was picking up new car couple of weeks ago so rang Quinn to check (as I thought it had to be insured).......and then rang back to confirm with a different operator!

Yeah but I think the point is a car must be insured at all times. Your insurance policy covers you to drive that car but when you are not driving it, it is not covered under any insurance policy. When it is parked on the road and you are not driving it then the cops could charge the owner for having an uninsured vehicle.

Advertisement