Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord wanting an 18% increase in rent...

Options
  • 06-11-2008 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭

Hi

Just paid my rent today (I moved in exactly one year ago last Saturday) and landlord says he wants €1000 per month from next month, up from € 850 which is what I was paying. That's a whopping 18% increase!!!

The apt is two bedroomed, two bathroomed in the Ballymun area....(My work is there)

He says his 'advisors' have told him he can get people in right away for €1000 pm.

By the way, I have no signed lease, pay rent by cash but have looked on threshold.ie and I do have tenancy rights even without a lease (it suited me and him not to bother with one at the time)

According to threshold, landlords can only increase rent annually within open market rates - does that mean say, rate of increase is averaging 8% so that is what he could up it by or does it mean there are other similar apts going for €1000 so he can ask for that from me?

I've been a model tenant and he knows it but I am really annoyed by this. Also I would prefer not to move but I just can't afford an extra 150 pm.

What to do?
    Failed to load the poll.

Advertisement